Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Grand Prix final entries so far

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    [FONT=Georgia]

Ties
    If there is a tie by added points, the following criteria will be taken into consideration for tie-breaking:

a) the best place obtained in the two designated events will count for the better place/ranking;

If there is still a tie,
    b) the higher total of the added total scores obtained in the designated events will count for the better place/ranking:

If there is still a tie,
    c) participation in two events will be considered better than having participated in only one event;

If there is still a tie,
    d) the higher total of the added scores in Free Skating/Free Dance obtained in the two designated events will count for the better place/ranking;

If there is still a tie,
    e) the higher total score in Free Skating/Free Dance obtained in one of the two designated events will count for the better place/ranking;

If there is still a tie,
    f) the higher total of the added scores in the Short Program/Short Dance obtained in the two designated events will count for the better place/ranking;

If there is still a tie,
    g) the number of participants finishing the two individual events in which the tied skaters/couples have completed, will be added to the total. The higher number of participants will count for the better place/ranking.

If there is still a tie, all skaters tied are qualified for the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final.
    Thanks for posting this. Pretty unlikely there would still be a tie after b, up there. I wonder why they don't just use total scores in the first place for GPF qualification, rather than placings. Seems that would be more fair, since some fields always seem to end up substantially stronger than others.

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
    Thanks for posting this. Pretty unlikely there would still be a tie after b, up there. I wonder why they don't just use total scores in the first place for GPF qualification, rather than placings. Seems that would be more fair, since some fields always seem to end up substantially stronger than others.
    The issue with that would be different judging panels/ice situations/etc. Too many variables that could give some skaters much more advantage over others

Quote Originally Posted by Chemistry66 View Post
    The issue with that would be different judging panels/ice situations/etc. Too many variables that could give some skaters much more advantage over others
    Well, yes, there's no way to make it entirely fair, since there's some variation in scoring between events. (Do "ice situations" really happen all that often?) But it does seem that would be more fair than what we've got now, where a weaker skater/team can easily pull off a silver in one event, and a stronger skater/team can end up off the podium at another, just because some events are better-skated than others. I'd like to see the GPF feature the six skaters/teams who had the strongest performances on the circuit, and while scores won't always be a perfectly accurate measure of that, they'd be more accurate than placements.

They started out using placements because when they came up with the whole Grand Prix idea, skating was judged under the 6.0 system and there were no scores to compare. Now that there are, perhaps they should discuss using them.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    The scores are used as tiebreakers, which is some help.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
    Well, yes, there's no way to make it entirely fair, since there's some variation in scoring between events. (Do "ice situations" really happen all that often?) But it does seem that would be more fair than what we've got now, where a weaker skater/team can easily pull off a silver in one event, and a stronger skater/team can end up off the podium at another, just because some events are better-skated than others. I'd like to see the GPF feature the six skaters/teams who had the strongest performances on the circuit, and while scores won't always be a perfectly accurate measure of that, they'd be more accurate than placements.

They started out using placements because when they came up with the whole Grand Prix idea, skating was judged under the 6.0 system and there were no scores to compare. Now that there are, perhaps they should discuss using them.
    One potential problem I see is it would make the GPs themselves less relevant; ie. there is less meaning to placing first, second or third at your event. Right now, winning means you get a good shot at the GPF, but if scores were used instead, you won't actually know how well you've done since everyone in the next GP might end up throwing down the programs of their lives. In the current system, even if you're not usually considered to be a frontrunner, you just need to perform better than your competitors on the day of - which is kind of in the spirit of competition. I can also envision a lot of controversy over scoring, especially if total scores between competitors are only a couple of points off. I find that judges scores can sometimes be out of whack, but often the placements are at least correct.

Custom Title
    With S/S out, is it possible that D/C could get the 6th spot in the final?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyskates View Post
    With S/S out, is it possible that D/C could get the 6th spot in the final?
    Highly unlikely. Which is unfair, because they should've won silver at CoR.

Custom Title
    Liza is in the final)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by koatcue View Post
    Liza is in the final)
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by pitterpatter View Post
    One potential problem I see is it would make the GPs themselves less relevant; ie. there is less meaning to placing first, second or third at your event. Right now, winning means you get a good shot at the GPF, but if scores were used instead, you won't actually know how well you've done since everyone in the next GP might end up throwing down the programs of their lives. In the current system, even if you're not usually considered to be a frontrunner, you just need to perform better than your competitors on the day of - which is kind of in the spirit of competition. I can also envision a lot of controversy over scoring, especially if total scores between competitors are only a couple of points off. I find that judges scores can sometimes be out of whack, but often the placements are at least correct.
    Oh, a lot of people on this board wouldn't agree that the placements tend to be correct even when scores aren't.

That's a fair point about the individual competitions not mattering as much, and it would be a trade-off of sorts. Personally, I'd rather have a final made up of the six highest-scoring skaters or teams than have all the competition rankings matter. I hate to see situations like the one in ice dance this year, where Weaver & Poje ended up out of the GPF even though they were fifth-best in terms of their score totals. I'm glad something similar didn't end up happening in the ladies, with Liza being knocked out by Zawadski or Nagasu. In many cases the GPF finalists would end up being the same anyway, but I think it's a bit of a shame when they're not.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2