Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mirai Has been given the NHK spot!

Quote Originally Posted by bellafurr View Post
    Who is Miria replacing, Csnizy or the russian girl , sorry I dont know her name?
    Polina Sheeplen from Russia. Czisny has not WD from NHK.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Not necessarily. In fact to the contrary, NHK has been filling spots now even though withdrawals were after the cut off for when they 'have to' which is some indication they want to fill spots if they can. However, with Visas etc, the 'realistic' cutoff for when Czisny would have to withdraw for a skater to get a spot is likely within the next day or two though that will vary by country/how flexible NHK is willing to be.
    NHK was willing to replace Shelepen with Nagasu after the 14-day cutoff because Mirai is very popular in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    NHK was willing to replace Shelepen with Nagasu after the 14-day cutoff because Mirai is very popular in Japan.
    She also, per a few sources, still has a dual citizenship with Japan. And she is 19, so she doesn't have to give it up for another 3 years. That likely made it easy, from a visa/consulate standpoint, for her to take the spot as well.

Custom Title
    I really hope Mirai can skate well this coming weekend. I think a good skate would do wonders for her confidence. She's a beautiful skater and when she's "on" she's wonderful.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Aww, good for Mirai (and for us who like to watch her skate!)

Miserere Nobis
    Congratulations to her! I hope she can deliver.

I hope that Mirai makes the most of this opportunity! I would love for her to win a medal, and she actually has a realistic shot at bronze if she skates well.

Yay Mirai, u r looking better. If only she could drop 10 pounds and pick up her speed. She is like her old self. I think her 10 pounds would make it a bit easier for jumps and it is doable over the season...maybe by Nationals, though I want her to be healthy before skinny. It seems the judges expect it. I wonder what Elene G did to get in great shape? She should call her and ask what they eat at the cricket club...she is transformed but still the curviest girl out there for one so tiny. I think Mirai's speed must pick up.

I wonder who will replace Alissa when she drops out? I hope Christina Gao, then we would have -who? Agnes Mirai and ? in place of Alissa? I don't see how or why Alissa would push herself if still injured...maybe the Canadian Starlet could get a spot? I am hoping Alissa won't skate...beautiful show skater-she seems way beyond done, IMO. Nice girl, tho.
    Last edited by skateluvr; 11-13-2012 at 11:06 PM.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    She also, per a few sources, still has a dual citizenship with Japan. And she is 19, so she doesn't have to give it up for another 3 years. That likely made it easy, from a visa/consulate standpoint, for her to take the spot as well.
    Not clear to me whether any skater with American citizenship would need a visa.
    "ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS FOR U.S. CITIZENS: You must have a valid passport and an onward/return ticket for tourist/business "visa free" stays of up to 90 days. Your passports must be valid for the entire time you are staying in Japan. U.S. citizens cannot work on a 90-day "visa free" entry."
    http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...y_requirements
    Don't know whether skating for prize money would be considered "business" (visa unnecessary) or "work" (visa necessary).

In any case, best to Nagasu!

Custom Title
    POlina Shelepen - the russian girl. I am hedging my bet and no one really knows that Alissa is holding out even though it seems unlikely she will be that healthy (even if she does skate).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    I nwondr who will replace Alissa when she drops out? I hope Christina Gao, then we would have -who? Agnes Mirai and ? in place of Alissa? I don't see how or why Alissa would push herself if still injured...maybe the Canadian Starlet could get a spot? I am hoping Alissa won't skate...beautiful show skater-she seems way beyond done, IMO. Nice girl, tho.
    Christina Gao has her 2nd GP event at TEB this week. Agnes Zawadzki is already scheduled to skate at NHK.
    If Alissa doesn't drop out today, the JSF will probably not replace her. It's now within 10 days of the competition and they are not obliged to fill a vacancy that close.

Custom Title
    That's too bad for Polina but YESSSSS for Mirai!!! I'm so happy to see she's FINALLY getting that second grand prix event and I feel like to have the last event in the series really is a best case scenario for her. Here's to hoping she can build on all the good she's creating for herself and ride the momentum of COC. It will be a great field for her to compete in and while she probably can't make the grand prix at this point, she can definitely shake up the standings and make all the more interesting right up to the end. Could she still qualify? She'd need to win yes?

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    What about poor Osmond. How often is a Canadian in the mix and she will not have a chance at a the GPF. While it does not surprise me Mirai would get the nod right now Osmond is more interesting but i doubt anyone is that surprised. As for who deserves what - let us not go there - life is not fair and it all depends on your perspective some will say Alissa has had her opportunities and did something similar like Flat twithout the backlash. Is it because Alissa is often deemed prettier - no I wonèt go there but reading this site all sorts of ideas. Seriously, Mirai should do her best and take this as a gift and it is a gift - deserved or not. Now will Alissa do the right thing and will hey allow Osmond to skate one more time.
    They won't allow Osmond another slot, because of ISU rules. Mirai was ranked #11 in Season's Bests last year. There are other girls on that list that will be given a slot before Osmond. I understand it's sad, but it's not unfair, given as how everyone is expected to abide by this rule.

Rinkside
    Good for Mirai! I'm typically one to root for the underdog and the nervous performer, so I hope she can take advantage of this wonderful opportunity. She has Wagner, Gold, Gao, and Zawadski to contend with on the home front and seems to be running out of chances to gain any kind of momentum before the Olympic season. Let's just hope she can get those jumps fully rotated!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1998 View Post
    Good for Mirai! I'm typically one to root for the underdog and the nervous performer, so I hope she can take advantage of this wonderful opportunity. She has Wagner, Gold, Gao, and Zawadski to contend with on the home front and seems to be running out of chances to gain any kind of momentum before the Olympic season. Let's just hope she can get those jumps fully rotated!
    What Silver said. PaulE and I are big Mirai fans. She has the talent. Anyone who watched her practice at last Nats can see that. We wish the best for her. I just hope she doesnt get "Dornbushed" by NBC. (ie: Definition: Dornbushed. The act of cutting a skater's performance even though said skater did better than a shown skater.)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast