Mirai Has been given the NHK spot! | Golden Skate

Mirai Has been given the NHK spot!

tulosai

Record Breaker
I guess Shelepin has officially withdrawn after all??

I can't find an official announcement but if you got to the ISU site, click on Entries Ladies 2012/2013 (all 6 events) and open the PDF it shows her as a new entry and Shelepin out.

I am over the moon. I will try to find a link/announcement to share (though I suspect someone will beat me to it).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I guess Shelepin has officially withdrawn after all??

I can't find an official announcement but if you got to the ISU site, click on Entries Ladies 2012/2013 (all 6 events) and open the PDF it shows her as a new entry and Shelepin out.

I am over the moon. I will try to find a link/announcement to share (though I suspect someone will beat me to it).

http://t.co/8XUyeXCG Here it is.

kalle

On the Ice
:yay:
I am really happy about this and believe she will have a good outing.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I hope she's able to build on what she did at COC. It wasn't her best but it was better than we'd seen in a while.

Way to go Mirai!

How swell! Good for Mirai. Hope she has a personal best. And how nice that it's the one set in Japan.

Sk8Boi

Match Penalty
Who really cares?

In the overall scope of Ladies Skating, Mirai Nagasu is a mere blip with nothing really special about her or her career at all. She is not a great jumper, not a great spinner and she is certainly no artist out there. She won her National Championship by default before she was even old enough to compete at Seniors. She has never repeated.

The same should be said about Carolyn Zhang .... not a great jumper, not a great spinner, she is certainly no artist and she skates slower than a dry creek bed.

These two should do themselves and their families a favor and just not compete anymore. Try to skate to make money to pay your parents back and make a living for yourself, go to college and become independent. Skating is getting neither of these girls anywhere in life. It is so sad to watch.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Who really cares?

In the overall scope of Ladies Skating, Mirai Nagasu is a mere blip with nothing really special about her or her career at all. She is not a great jumper, not a great spinner and she is certainly no artist out there. She won her National Championship by default before she was even old enough to compete at Seniors. She has never repeated.

The same should be said about Carolyn Zhang .... not a great jumper, not a great spinner, she is certainly no artist and she skates slower than a dry creek bed.

These two should do themselves and their families a favor and just not compete anymore. Try to skate to make money to pay your parents back and make a living for yourself, go to college and become independent. Skating is getting neither of these girls anywhere in life. It is so sad to watch.

Wow someone is bitter! Why the hate? Mirai, Caroline not great spinners?

Go Mirai... the girl should be given as many chances as she deserve, and she certainly deserve more than 1 GP event this season. Hope NHK ends up great for her!!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Wow someone is bitter! Why the hate? Mirai, Caroline not great spinners?

Go Mirai... the girl should be given as many chances as she deserve, and she certainly deserve more than 1 GP event this season. Hope NHK ends up great for her!!

What about poor Osmond. How often is a Canadian in the mix and she will not have a chance at a the GPF. While it does not surprise me Mirai would get the nod right now Osmond is more interesting but i doubt anyone is that surprised. As for who deserves what - let us not go there - life is not fair and it all depends on your perspective some will say Alissa has had her opportunities and did something similar like Flat twithout the backlash. Is it because Alissa is often deemed prettier - no I wonèt go there but reading this site all sorts of ideas. Seriously, Mirai should do her best and take this as a gift and it is a gift - deserved or not. Now will Alissa do the right thing and will hey allow Osmond to skate one more time.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I'm so happy for Mirai, I know she has already skated her best (especially in the FS) at CoC, I just hope the judges won't be so harsh with her now, and that, even if her jumps are close, they won't < them... :bow: She has really a chance to get a medal: the only other serious competitors are Zawadzki and Gedevanishvili, and she can beat both of them when she's in a ON day! But I don't think that she can beat Mao or Akiko, silver and gold are pretty secure for the Japanese here... However, go Mirai, show everyone that you really deserve this spot!! :agree::yes:

Ravensque

On the Ice
Osmond will get her chance eventually. I would have like to have seen her grab and chance to go to the GP final, but fair is fair.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
What about poor Osmond. How often is a Canadian in the mix and she will not have a chance at a the GPF. While it does not surprise me Mirai would get the nod right now Osmond is more interesting but i doubt anyone is that surprised. As for who deserves what - let us not go there - life is not fair and it all depends on your perspective some will say Alissa has had her opportunities and did something similar like Flat twithout the backlash. Is it because Alissa is often deemed prettier - no I wonèt go there but reading this site all sorts of ideas. Seriously, Mirai should do her best and take this as a gift and it is a gift - deserved or not. Now will Alissa do the right thing and will hey allow Osmond to skate one more time.

Osmond will earn her turn like everyone else. Nobody expected her to do that well last year. Also I don't think it is fair to blame any particular skaters and accuse them of not retiring when they are not delivering desirable results for national interest. Up to a point, all skaters skate for themselves, it should not be their national duty like some army services. On the other hand, you should blame the ISU for changing the rules to limit the numbers of participants for the GP series which makes it easier to manipulate result in my opinion for national interests, to favour and pave the way for certain skaters leading up to the world championships.

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
O Also I don't think it is fair to blame any particular skaters and accuse them of not retiring when they are not delivering desirable results for national interest. Up to a point, all skaters skate for themselves, it should not be their national duty like some army services. On the other hand, you should blame the ISU for changing the rules to limit the numbers of participants for the GP series which makes it easier to manipulate result in my opinion for national interests and favoured skaters.

I don't know. It really depends on the country. Somewhere like the USA, where the money skaters get from USFSA even at the top envelope level is literally laughable, and they then have to pay for everything themselves with that tiny chunk of change (even a fair amount of their travel) I totally agree with you. Somewhere like Russia or China, where the skaters pay for NOTHING related to their training and are also given housing/money on the side, I disagree. In a case like that, the national interest becomes much more important. I have no doubt that is a part of why Shelepin withdrew so much more quickly than the ever-exasperating Czisny ever will. I am not arguing for one system over the other (though I do have my opinions on that). I'm just saying I don't think you can make a blanked statement on this topic.

kwanatic

Record Breaker
ITA. Other federations are far more invested in their athletes than the US is so in those instances, I'd say the federation has the majority of the power when it comes to what the skater does. When it comes to monitoring the skaters and sending the best out to compete, I think this is a good thing. At times I feel like the USFSA's lax approach to paying attention to their skaters ends up coming back to bite them in the butt...

There should be a happy medium...

kwanatic

Record Breaker
ITA. Other federations are far more invested in their athletes than the US is so in those instances, I'd say the federation has the majority of the power when it comes to what the skater does. When it comes to monitoring the skaters and sending the best out to compete, I think this is a good thing. At times I feel like the USFSA's lax approach to paying attention to their skaters ends up coming back to bite them in the butt...

There should be a happy medium between one extreme and the other.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Osmond will get her chance eventually. I would have like to have seen her grab and chance to go to the GP final, but fair is fair.

What is so fair about Mirai getting the spot ...what is so fair that a mediocre skater like McCorkell gets national title after national title. What is fair - one can argue Flatts treatment versus Czisny is unfair, inappropriate, biased whatever.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I don't know. It really depends on the country. Somewhere like the USA, where the money skaters get from USFSA even at the top envelope level is literally laughable, and they then have to pay for everything themselves with that tiny chunk of change (even a fair amount of their travel) I totally agree with you. Somewhere like Russia or China, where the skaters pay for NOTHING related to their training and are also given housing/money on the side, I disagree. In a case like that, the national interest becomes much more important. I have no doubt that is a part of why Shelepin withdrew so much more quickly than the ever-exasperating Czisny ever will. I am not arguing for one system over the other (though I do have my opinions on that). I'm just saying I don't think you can make a blanked statement on this topic.

Just curious. If US manage a podium finish, other than able to gain extra WC spots next year, would that increase their overall budget to fund for all other skaters next year? If such is the case, then I can understand the aggravation. I disagree with you overall on national interest. Just because the Chinese and Russian skaters are funded differently through the state, it does't mean they want it any less for themselves AND for national interests, since surely their own funding correspond to their performance result too.

In the meant time I would categorize 'everything else' as backdoor politics. It is always easier to tear up those at the top through behind the scene natter/msg boards/propaganda to tarnish a skater's images than do it on Ice. Want to get rid of Mirai and Alissa? Easy...Beat them on home ice where and when it count ladies. That's all!

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Who really cares?

Well both have shown great potential jump, spin and artistry wise but have had their problems. the issue is did they both deserve 2 GPs. Russia, Japan and American ladies while good (not sure about Russia) have had tonnes of GP opportunities deserved or otherwise. Now if Alissa would do the right thing and withdraw and the federation do the right thing and invite say Osmond. I know it is iimpossible to read the mind of the skater but there should be a penalty for false withdrawls or delayed withdrawls - problem is what is legit. I think most will agree it is apparent Alissa has had issues and should pull out - unless it was a cold for the exhibition then she should bow out and do the honourable thing.