Mirai Has been given the NHK spot! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mirai Has been given the NHK spot!

tulosai

Record Breaker
Just curious. If US manage a podium finish, other than able to gain extra WC spots next year, would that increase their overall budget to fund for all other skaters next year? If such is the case, then I can understand the aggravation. I disagree with you overall on national interest. Just because the Chinese and Russian skaters are funded differently through the state, it does't mean they want it any less for themselves AND for national interests, since surely their own funding correspond to their performance result too.

That is the issue. How they are funded in the USA does correspond to results but only INDIVIDUALLY (i.e. Czisny is benefited not at all if Wagner wins gold at worlds) and ONLY if the results are positive. If Alyssa finished 10 at NHK, or if she withdraws, that is all the same. She won't be 'punished' under current rules for finishing 10th or 'rewarded' for withdrawing. And because the federation is not invloved and give her almost no money either way it's all the same to her. Even the skaters who get THE MOST funding do not recieve anywhere near enough to costume themselves, pay for coaches, ice time, etc. A HUGE amount of USA skaters training comes from their own pocket even if they are first in the world. This in fact is more incentive to compete when not ready- if Alyssa somehow manages to pullout a top 5 finish she will get some money from ISU due to her placement. And US skaters want/need that money way more than those from other countries.

In the meantime all that will matter for Alyssa in terms of how much money she gets this year will be Nationals results (or Worlds/4CCs if she earns a spot to them). Yet again in these instances there is no reason for her to withdraw- if she finishes low enough she wont' get envelope money, but if she withdraws there is no money for her anyway. In a place like Russia, where if you withdraw it is nothing to you since you will still get enough money to train/live ANYWAY, skaters can withdraw a lot more freely (and the federation can have a lot more sway in convincing them to withdraw since ALL their money to skate is coming from the federation NOT their own or their parents pockets)

This isn't the best organized/most well thought out post I have ever written but I hope my point is making sense.

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Isn't it too late for Osmond to get a spot anyway?

Not necessarily. In fact to the contrary, NHK has been filling spots now even though withdrawals were after the cut off for when they 'have to' which is some indication they want to fill spots if they can. However, with Visas etc, the 'realistic' cutoff for when Czisny would have to withdraw for a skater to get a spot is likely within the next day or two though that will vary by country/how flexible NHK is willing to be.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Not necessarily. In fact to the contrary, NHK has been filling spots now even though withdrawals were after the cut off for when they 'have to' which is some indication they want to fill spots if they can. However, with Visas etc, the 'realistic' cutoff for when Czisny would have to withdraw for a skater to get a spot is likely within the next day or two though that will vary by country/how flexible NHK is willing to be.

It states the Canadians can visit Japan for up to 90 days without a visa. But I wonder the rules change for athletes since some will "earn money" by doing well at the GP.

skatel80

On the Ice
First post! Im so glad she got NHK, I was hoping she would get another GP. when she is on she is a joy to watch

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I'm really glad Mirai will be going! Her short progam is wonderful and I think her long program just needs more mileage and this is a great opportunity, Go Mirai!!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

NHK was willing to replace Shelepen with Nagasu after the 14-day cutoff because Mirai is very popular in Japan.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
NHK was willing to replace Shelepen with Nagasu after the 14-day cutoff because Mirai is very popular in Japan.

She also, per a few sources, still has a dual citizenship with Japan. And she is 19, so she doesn't have to give it up for another 3 years. That likely made it easy, from a visa/consulate standpoint, for her to take the spot as well.

noskates

Record Breaker
I really hope Mirai can skate well this coming weekend. I think a good skate would do wonders for her confidence. She's a beautiful skater and when she's "on" she's wonderful.

Butterscotch17

On the Ice
I hope that Mirai makes the most of this opportunity! I would love for her to win a medal, and she actually has a realistic shot at bronze if she skates well.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Yay Mirai, u r looking better. If only she could drop 10 pounds and pick up her speed. She is like her old self. I think her 10 pounds would make it a bit easier for jumps and it is doable over the season...maybe by Nationals, though I want her to be healthy before skinny. It seems the judges expect it. I wonder what Elene G did to get in great shape? She should call her and ask what they eat at the cricket club...she is transformed but still the curviest girl out there for one so tiny. I think Mirai's speed must pick up.

I wonder who will replace Alissa when she drops out? I hope Christina Gao, then we would have -who? Agnes Mirai and ? in place of Alissa? I don't see how or why Alissa would push herself if still injured...maybe the Canadian Starlet could get a spot? I am hoping Alissa won't skate...beautiful show skater-she seems way beyond done, IMO. Nice girl, tho.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
She also, per a few sources, still has a dual citizenship with Japan. And she is 19, so she doesn't have to give it up for another 3 years. That likely made it easy, from a visa/consulate standpoint, for her to take the spot as well.

Not clear to me whether any skater with American citizenship would need a visa.
"ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS FOR U.S. CITIZENS: You must have a valid passport and an onward/return ticket for tourist/business "visa free" stays of up to 90 days. Your passports must be valid for the entire time you are staying in Japan. U.S. citizens cannot work on a 90-day "visa free" entry."
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1148.html#entry_requirements
Don't know whether skating for prize money would be considered "business" (visa unnecessary) or "work" (visa necessary).

In any case, best to Nagasu!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
POlina Shelepen - the russian girl. I am hedging my bet and no one really knows that Alissa is holding out even though it seems unlikely she will be that healthy (even if she does skate).