Mirai Has been given the NHK spot! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Mirai Has been given the NHK spot!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I nwondr who will replace Alissa when she drops out? I hope Christina Gao, then we would have -who? Agnes Mirai and ? in place of Alissa? I don't see how or why Alissa would push herself if still injured...maybe the Canadian Starlet could get a spot? I am hoping Alissa won't skate...beautiful show skater-she seems way beyond done, IMO. Nice girl, tho.

Christina Gao has her 2nd GP event at TEB this week. Agnes Zawadzki is already scheduled to skate at NHK.
If Alissa doesn't drop out today, the JSF will probably not replace her. It's now within 10 days of the competition and they are not obliged to fill a vacancy that close.

samson

Medalist
That's too bad for Polina but YESSSSS for Mirai!!! I'm so happy to see she's FINALLY getting that second grand prix event and I feel like to have the last event in the series really is a best case scenario for her. Here's to hoping she can build on all the good she's creating for herself and ride the momentum of COC. It will be a great field for her to compete in and while she probably can't make the grand prix at this point, she can definitely shake up the standings and make all the more interesting right up to the end. Could she still qualify? She'd need to win yes?

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
What about poor Osmond. How often is a Canadian in the mix and she will not have a chance at a the GPF. While it does not surprise me Mirai would get the nod right now Osmond is more interesting but i doubt anyone is that surprised. As for who deserves what - let us not go there - life is not fair and it all depends on your perspective some will say Alissa has had her opportunities and did something similar like Flat twithout the backlash. Is it because Alissa is often deemed prettier - no I wonèt go there but reading this site all sorts of ideas. Seriously, Mirai should do her best and take this as a gift and it is a gift - deserved or not. Now will Alissa do the right thing and will hey allow Osmond to skate one more time.

They won't allow Osmond another slot, because of ISU rules. Mirai was ranked #11 in Season's Bests last year. There are other girls on that list that will be given a slot before Osmond. I understand it's sad, but it's not unfair, given as how everyone is expected to abide by this rule.

Silver1998

Rinkside
Good for Mirai! I'm typically one to root for the underdog and the nervous performer, so I hope she can take advantage of this wonderful opportunity. She has Wagner, Gold, Gao, and Zawadski to contend with on the home front and seems to be running out of chances to gain any kind of momentum before the Olympic season. Let's just hope she can get those jumps fully rotated!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Good for Mirai! I'm typically one to root for the underdog and the nervous performer, so I hope she can take advantage of this wonderful opportunity. She has Wagner, Gold, Gao, and Zawadski to contend with on the home front and seems to be running out of chances to gain any kind of momentum before the Olympic season. Let's just hope she can get those jumps fully rotated!
What Silver said. PaulE and I are big Mirai fans. She has the talent. Anyone who watched her practice at last Nats can see that. We wish the best for her. I just hope she doesnt get "Dornbushed" by NBC. (ie: Definition: Dornbushed. The act of cutting a skater's performance even though said skater did better than a shown skater.)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
They won't allow Osmond another slot, because of ISU rules. Mirai was ranked #11 in Season's Bests last year. There are other girls on that list that will be given a slot before Osmond. I understand it's sad, but it's not unfair, given as how everyone is expected to abide by this rule.

Except not, because other skaters ranked below Nagasu got a slot before she did.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Well isn't it exciting to have two young ladies who can skate, can charm, and are just adorable from North America? I admit than Ms Osmond is far more musical than Gracie, but Gracie may become a majestic skater like the wonderful Carolina. I really miss seeing Carolina. Valentina is certainly sexy, mature and confident, but cannot compare to the Carolina who emerged in the last two seasons. That is too bad, as I would love to see another GP skate from her. It is nice to see a girl who tho very different from Joannie, is equally wonderful to watch. Canada has the ice dance fave, the mens fave, now this young girl storms in. All they need is a pair and Canada will possibly trounce the Japanese next Olympics and the Russians too. Exciting times for Canada. I wish sale and Pelletier could come back. They remain one of my all time faves. Sad they have basically retired. It was such a great love story while it lasted. :(

Canada can be counted on for wonderful skaters-maybe Osmond will be their second gold medalist-I'd be dreaming for that were I Canadian, but I'm fully on board now with Wagner and Gold...

gmyers

Record Breaker
The pair is definitely Duhamel radford and can easily assist in a Canada victory in the team comp if chan and Osmond compete but if Canada has more than one spot they probably won't and maybe that goes for d/r too. I think that team may be full of 2nd skaters

Russia probably even won't even have a men's entry in the team as plushenko saves his skating for the main event

wallylutz

Medalist
Russia probably even won't even have a men's entry in the team as plushenko saves his skating for the main event

It would be a surprise to me if Plushenko doesn't take part in the team competition in Sochi Olympics unless he is injured. Given that Russia has a very good shot at winning the team competition there, I just don't see how they would risk ruining that with another man seeing how weak they have been since 2006. These talks about X skater not going to compete at the team event due to proximity to their individual event is hot air at best. If a country has a real shot at winning the team event, I think they will use their best skater. For example, I don't see Canada using anyone other than Patrick Chan for men's.

Selene

On the Ice
Good for her. She has a decent shot at the bronze medal (along with Zawadzki.) I'd like to see her fully rotate more of her jumps.

gmyers

Record Breaker
It would be a surprise to me if Plushenko doesn't take part in the team competition in Sochi Olympics unless he is injured. Given that Russia has a very good shot at winning the team competition there, I just don't see how they would risk ruining that with another man seeing how weak they have been since 2006. These talks about X skater not going to compete at the team event due to proximity to their individual event is hot air at best. If a country has a real shot at winning the team event, I think they will use their best skater. For example, I don't see Canada using anyone other than Patrick Chan for men's.

Well if he does he water some jumps down I think. Maybe not even competitng would not look good but no way does he go all out even if Russia does have two men and he is chosen for team. Like he trains for 2 quads in lp but only one for team or not 2 3a but one 3a. Just less I think.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm overjoyed for Mirai! I'm happy we'll get to see her in one more GP before Nationals. I'm sorry her spot came due to another's injury withdrawal and I wish Polina a speedy recovery!

Mirai has a chance now to improve on her CoC marks. Hopefully she'll clean up those UR's/two foot landings!

Wow someone is bitter! Why the hate? Mirai, Caroline not great spinners?

Go Mirai... the girl should be given as many chances as she deserve, and she certainly deserve more than 1 GP event this season. Hope NHK ends up great for her!!

Indeed. And for anyone to say that Mirai and Caroline are not great spinners?? :scratch: And at her best Mirai is right up there with the best of them. She's only 19 and still has a lot of time to improve. 'Nuff said. Next.

'Who cares? ' I care! GO MIRAI!! :party:

First post! Im so glad she got NHK, I was hoping she would get another GP. when she is on she is a joy to watch

^^^
THIS! And welcome! :cool:

Last edited: