Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 52

Thread: Mirai Has been given the NHK spot!

  1. #16
    Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,454
    ITA. Other federations are far more invested in their athletes than the US is so in those instances, I'd say the federation has the majority of the power when it comes to what the skater does. When it comes to monitoring the skaters and sending the best out to compete, I think this is a good thing. At times I feel like the USFSA's lax approach to paying attention to their skaters ends up coming back to bite them in the butt...

    There should be a happy medium...

  2. #17
    Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,454
    ITA. Other federations are far more invested in their athletes than the US is so in those instances, I'd say the federation has the majority of the power when it comes to what the skater does. When it comes to monitoring the skaters and sending the best out to compete, I think this is a good thing. At times I feel like the USFSA's lax approach to paying attention to their skaters ends up coming back to bite them in the butt...

    There should be a happy medium between one extreme and the other.

  3. #18
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,674
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravensque View Post
    Osmond will get her chance eventually. I would have like to have seen her grab and chance to go to the GP final, but fair is fair.
    What is so fair about Mirai getting the spot ...what is so fair that a mediocre skater like McCorkell gets national title after national title. What is fair - one can argue Flatts treatment versus Czisny is unfair, inappropriate, biased whatever.

  4. #19
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Beyond Neverland
    Posts
    1,221
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    I don't know. It really depends on the country. Somewhere like the USA, where the money skaters get from USFSA even at the top envelope level is literally laughable, and they then have to pay for everything themselves with that tiny chunk of change (even a fair amount of their travel) I totally agree with you. Somewhere like Russia or China, where the skaters pay for NOTHING related to their training and are also given housing/money on the side, I disagree. In a case like that, the national interest becomes much more important. I have no doubt that is a part of why Shelepin withdrew so much more quickly than the ever-exasperating Czisny ever will. I am not arguing for one system over the other (though I do have my opinions on that). I'm just saying I don't think you can make a blanked statement on this topic.
    Just curious. If US manage a podium finish, other than able to gain extra WC spots next year, would that increase their overall budget to fund for all other skaters next year? If such is the case, then I can understand the aggravation. I disagree with you overall on national interest. Just because the Chinese and Russian skaters are funded differently through the state, it does't mean they want it any less for themselves AND for national interests, since surely their own funding correspond to their performance result too.

    In the meant time I would categorize 'everything else' as backdoor politics. It is always easier to tear up those at the top through behind the scene natter/msg boards/propaganda to tarnish a skater's images than do it on Ice. Want to get rid of Mirai and Alissa? Easy...Beat them on home ice where and when it count ladies. That's all!
    Last edited by os168; 11-12-2012 at 04:46 PM.

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,674
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Boi View Post
    Who really cares?

    In the overall scope of Ladies Skating, Mirai Nagasu is a mere blip with nothing really special about her or her career at all. She is not a great jumper, not a great spinner and she is certainly no artist out there. She won her National Championship by default before she was even old enough to compete at Seniors. She has never repeated.

    The same should be said about Carolyn Zhang .... not a great jumper, not a great spinner, she is certainly no artist and she skates slower than a dry creek bed.

    These two should do themselves and their families a favor and just not compete anymore. Try to skate to make money to pay your parents back and make a living for yourself, go to college and become independent. Skating is getting neither of these girls anywhere in life. It is so sad to watch.
    Well both have shown great potential jump, spin and artistry wise but have had their problems. the issue is did they both deserve 2 GPs. Russia, Japan and American ladies while good (not sure about Russia) have had tonnes of GP opportunities deserved or otherwise. Now if Alissa would do the right thing and withdraw and the federation do the right thing and invite say Osmond. I know it is iimpossible to read the mind of the skater but there should be a penalty for false withdrawls or delayed withdrawls - problem is what is legit. I think most will agree it is apparent Alissa has had issues and should pull out - unless it was a cold for the exhibition then she should bow out and do the honourable thing.

  6. #21
    Custom Title demarinis5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,067
    I am glad that Mirai got the NHK spot. GO Miria!

  7. #22
    Spiral Lover tulosai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,834
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Just curious. If US manage a podium finish, other than able to gain extra WC spots next year, would that increase their overall budget to fund for all other skaters next year? If such is the case, then I can understand the aggravation. I disagree with you overall on national interest. Just because the Chinese and Russian skaters are funded differently through the state, it does't mean they want it any less for themselves AND for national interests, since surely their own funding correspond to their performance result too.
    That is the issue. How they are funded in the USA does correspond to results but only INDIVIDUALLY (i.e. Czisny is benefited not at all if Wagner wins gold at worlds) and ONLY if the results are positive. If Alyssa finished 10 at NHK, or if she withdraws, that is all the same. She won't be 'punished' under current rules for finishing 10th or 'rewarded' for withdrawing. And because the federation is not invloved and give her almost no money either way it's all the same to her. Even the skaters who get THE MOST funding do not recieve anywhere near enough to costume themselves, pay for coaches, ice time, etc. A HUGE amount of USA skaters training comes from their own pocket even if they are first in the world. This in fact is more incentive to compete when not ready- if Alyssa somehow manages to pullout a top 5 finish she will get some money from ISU due to her placement. And US skaters want/need that money way more than those from other countries.

    In the meantime all that will matter for Alyssa in terms of how much money she gets this year will be Nationals results (or Worlds/4CCs if she earns a spot to them). Yet again in these instances there is no reason for her to withdraw- if she finishes low enough she wont' get envelope money, but if she withdraws there is no money for her anyway. In a place like Russia, where if you withdraw it is nothing to you since you will still get enough money to train/live ANYWAY, skaters can withdraw a lot more freely (and the federation can have a lot more sway in convincing them to withdraw since ALL their money to skate is coming from the federation NOT their own or their parents pockets)

    This isn't the best organized/most well thought out post I have ever written but I hope my point is making sense.
    Last edited by tulosai; 11-12-2012 at 05:01 PM.

  8. #23
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    133
    Isn't it too late for Osmond to get a spot anyway?

  9. #24
    Spiral Lover tulosai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,834
    Quote Originally Posted by bellafurr View Post
    Isn't it too late for Osmond to get a spot anyway?
    Not necessarily. In fact to the contrary, NHK has been filling spots now even though withdrawals were after the cut off for when they 'have to' which is some indication they want to fill spots if they can. However, with Visas etc, the 'realistic' cutoff for when Czisny would have to withdraw for a skater to get a spot is likely within the next day or two though that will vary by country/how flexible NHK is willing to be.

  10. #25
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,618
    Isn't today the last day for NHK to name replacements?

  11. #26
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,222
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Not necessarily. In fact to the contrary, NHK has been filling spots now even though withdrawals were after the cut off for when they 'have to' which is some indication they want to fill spots if they can. However, with Visas etc, the 'realistic' cutoff for when Czisny would have to withdraw for a skater to get a spot is likely within the next day or two though that will vary by country/how flexible NHK is willing to be.
    It states the Canadians can visit Japan for up to 90 days without a visa. But I wonder the rules change for athletes since some will "earn money" by doing well at the GP.

  12. #27
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    143
    First post! Im so glad she got NHK, I was hoping she would get another GP. when she is on she is a joy to watch

  13. #28
    Spiral Lover tulosai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,834
    Quote Originally Posted by skatel80 View Post
    First post! Im so glad she got NHK, I was hoping she would get another GP. when she is on she is a joy to watch
    Welcome!!

  14. #29
    Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    717
    I'm really glad Mirai will be going! Her short progam is wonderful and I think her long program just needs more mileage and this is a great opportunity, Go Mirai!!

  15. #30
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    133
    Who is Miria replacing, Csnizy or the russian girl , sorry I dont know her name?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •