Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The "Say Something Nice About Your Least Favorite Skater" Thread

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by rvi5 View Post
    Does this compliment mean you don't like MoonlightSkater?

Oh wait, MoonlightSkater did say "elite" skater
    ...unless MoonlightSkater is an elite skater, then we are back to the original question.

j/k
    MoonlightSkater is not an elite skater. MoonlightSkater *wishes* she were an elite skater, but probably started way too late to ever get to that point. As for posting a YouTube video, well, I'd have to have an awfully good skate........ we'll see.

Custom Title
    Also, to add one: Petrova and Tikhonov. Petrova always looked very perky.

On the Ice
    Lipnitskaya is flexible and has pretty eyes.

Custom Title
    Weir: unabashed in who he is; fluid movement; beautiful skin; looks great in a crown of roses

Lysachek: good work ethic; I get the sense that he knows what his own strengths and weaknesses are

Pluschenko: amazing jumper; remarkable longevity

Morosov: devoted students

Abbott: seems to understand music and has a future in choreography

Amodio: a complete package skater; quick feet; strong POV

Kozuka: great SS; adorable interactions with coach; seems like a genuinely nice guy

Honestly, I don't dislike any of the above skaters... I just don't enjoy them and they are high profile enough to warrant comment

Custom Title
    Plushenko has a real command presence on the ice.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    And last but not least, Mr. Morozov has had a life so interesting and complex, I would love to read an autobiography of it.
    Said autobiography would likely have to be kept behind the cashier's desk, in a brown paper wrapper.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    Said autobiography would likely have to be kept behind the cashier's desk, in a brown paper wrapper.
    And if said autobiography were turned into a movie, at least we'd be rid of the notion/stereotype that figure skating is boring...

(Sorry, couldn't resist; I really know very little about the gentleman's life - just inferring... )

Current skaters
    Davis/White: they're fast, they seem to have a great relationship, and they work so hard. They are clearly very driven. Loved Charlie's NHL.com interview!

Volosozhar/Trankov: that twist, wow. Could be really special with better programs.

Duhamel/Radford: I love how ambitious they are with their tech content and have so much respect for the way the continued to skate after she broke his nose.

Chan: There's such an ease and fluidity to his skating, and I'm so happy he's challenging himself and working with new choreographers this season.

Retired skaters:
    Sale/Pelletier: fantastic showmanship and connection.

Petrova/Tikhonov - in their last season I suddenly realized they were better and more likable than I ever gave them credit for.

Navka/Kostomarov - she is such a diva, and a talented one too.

Fusar-Poli-Margaglio - they were entertaining, I'll give them that, and they both seem to be good coaches.

Evan Lysacek - fab sit spin and a most deserving winner at 2009 Worlds.

Michelle Kwan - it's not that I dislike Kwan so much as that I never got her, making for a huge disconnect between my perception and the general one in the sport. But she's a class act and a graceful skater, and her Fields of Gold EX is one of my favorite skating moment, thought a heartbreaking one to watch.

To be a least favorite rather than forgettable/fridge break, you have to be quite good. I guess being a "least favorite" is a compliment in that respect, albeit a backhanded one.

Custom Title
    Patrick Chan--I finally saw him skate without making a visible error (he doubled a couple of jumps, but no messy-looking falls, crashing into the side, etc.) and I can see why people rave about him. He is very impressive when he stays on his feet! He seems to have been able to master the quad thanks to his work ethic, so I'm hopeful he will master not falling and won't get booed when he wins. Good work, Patrick!

Carolina Kostner. Another person who kept winning the last couple of years for reasons that didn't seem right to me.(i.e, not doing the harder jumps). Still, she seems to be a nice person who cheered for Alissa Czisny at the GPF 2 years ago. Good sportsmanship, Carolina!

Michelle--I love you, but I don't like how you changed figure skating. You were the first to skate to sloooow music from a single violin, with such a serious expression on your face. Now everyone does this type of program, making it very boring. I miss the show tunes, Neil Diamond medleys, fast cuts of Carmen, etc. of the 90s and before. But nobody can skate your type of program as well as you. Everyone else is just a pale imitation.

Sorry, I tried but failed to be able to say anything nice about Katarina Witt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    Sorry, I tried but failed to be able to say anything nice about Katarina Witt.
    Hummmmm...well, she is not ashamed of her body?
    Trying hard to say something nice about Harding....

Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    We have to be nice here...I am sure he treated his first wife, Tatiana Navka, very well. I bet she was a beautiful bride. They finished 16th at the 1998 winter
    Olympics. I bet their coach, Alexander Zhulin thought she was a beautiful bride too.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Hummmmm...well, she is not ashamed of her body?
    Trying hard to say something nice about Harding....
    Harding did have very big jumps. Kudos to anybody with the guts to throw a triple Axel in competition!

Well, there you go....there is even something nice to say about TH!

Philippe Candeloro is/was very... creative.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast