The "Say Something Nice About Your Least Favorite Skater" Thread | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The "Say Something Nice About Your Least Favorite Skater" Thread

rvi5

On the Ice
The "Say Something Nice About Your Least Favorite Skater" Thread

MoonlightSkater, great idea for a thread. :)

Does this compliment mean you don't like MoonlightSkater? :laugh:

Oh wait, MoonlightSkater did say "elite" skater
...unless MoonlightSkater is an elite skater, then we are back to the original question.

j/k

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Morosov: He is incredibly hot and I can see why the ladies are attracted to him.

Amodio: Perhaps the male skater with the most range out of anyone currently competing

Joubert: A far more thoughtful man than I gave him credit for being, he's matured quite gracefully (to the point where he would no longer qualify as a least favourite)

Wier: A fascinating celebrity.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

...unless MoonlightSkater is an elite skater, then we are back to the original question.

j/k
Ok Ok. My apologies to MLS. She is of course not included in my list! I met her at SA Kent and she is a delightful beautiful young lady who really knows her stuff....
It WOULD be fun to see her skate! Perhaps she can post a youtube video for us! :)

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice

j/k

MoonlightSkater is not an elite skater. MoonlightSkater *wishes* she were an elite skater, but probably started way too late to ever get to that point. As for posting a YouTube video, well, I'd have to have an awfully good skate........ we'll see.

flaneur

On the Ice
Weir: unabashed in who he is; fluid movement; beautiful skin; looks great in a crown of roses

Lysachek: good work ethic; I get the sense that he knows what his own strengths and weaknesses are

Pluschenko: amazing jumper; remarkable longevity

Morosov: devoted students

Abbott: seems to understand music and has a future in choreography

Amodio: a complete package skater; quick feet; strong POV

Kozuka: great SS; adorable interactions with coach; seems like a genuinely nice guy

Honestly, I don't dislike any of the above skaters... I just don't enjoy them and they are high profile enough to warrant comment ;)

LRK

Record Breaker
Said autobiography would likely have to be kept behind the cashier's desk, in a brown paper wrapper.

And if said autobiography were turned into a movie, at least we'd be rid of the notion/stereotype that figure skating is boring...

(Sorry, couldn't resist; I really know very little about the gentleman's life - just inferring... ;) )

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Current skaters
Davis/White: they're fast, they seem to have a great relationship, and they work so hard. They are clearly very driven. Loved Charlie's NHL.com interview!

Volosozhar/Trankov: that twist, wow. Could be really special with better programs.

Duhamel/Radford: I love how ambitious they are with their tech content and have so much respect for the way the continued to skate after she broke his nose.

Chan: There's such an ease and fluidity to his skating, and I'm so happy he's challenging himself and working with new choreographers this season.

Retired skaters:
Sale/Pelletier: fantastic showmanship and connection.

Petrova/Tikhonov - in their last season I suddenly realized they were better and more likable than I ever gave them credit for.

Navka/Kostomarov - she is such a diva, and a talented one too.

Fusar-Poli-Margaglio - they were entertaining, I'll give them that, and they both seem to be good coaches.

Evan Lysacek - fab sit spin and a most deserving winner at 2009 Worlds.

Michelle Kwan - it's not that I dislike Kwan so much as that I never got her, making for a huge disconnect between my perception and the general one in the sport. But she's a class act and a graceful skater, and her Fields of Gold EX is one of my favorite skating moment, thought a heartbreaking one to watch.

To be a least favorite rather than forgettable/fridge break, you have to be quite good. I guess being a "least favorite" is a compliment in that respect, albeit a backhanded one.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
Patrick Chan--I finally saw him skate without making a visible error (he doubled a couple of jumps, but no messy-looking falls, crashing into the side, etc.) and I can see why people rave about him. He is very impressive when he stays on his feet! He seems to have been able to master the quad thanks to his work ethic, so I'm hopeful he will master not falling and won't get booed when he wins. Good work, Patrick!

Carolina Kostner. Another person who kept winning the last couple of years for reasons that didn't seem right to me.(i.e, not doing the harder jumps). Still, she seems to be a nice person who cheered for Alissa Czisny at the GPF 2 years ago. Good sportsmanship, Carolina!

Michelle--I love you, but I don't like how you changed figure skating. You were the first to skate to sloooow music from a single violin, with such a serious expression on your face. Now everyone does this type of program, making it very boring. I miss the show tunes, Neil Diamond medleys, fast cuts of Carmen, etc. of the 90s and before. But nobody can skate your type of program as well as you. Everyone else is just a pale imitation.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Sorry, I tried but failed to be able to say anything nice about Katarina Witt.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Said autobiography would likely have to be kept behind the cashier's desk, in a brown paper wrapper.
We have to be nice here...I am sure he treated his first wife, Tatiana Navka, very well. I bet she was a beautiful bride. They finished 16th at the 1998 winter
Olympics. I bet their coach, Alexander Zhulin thought she was a beautiful bride too.