The "Say Something Nice About Your Least Favorite Skater" Thread | Golden Skate

The "Say Something Nice About Your Least Favorite Skater" Thread

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
The "Say Something Nice About Your Least Favorite Skater" Thread

I figured that with all the negativity going around the forums this week that this could be a healthy thing.

Say at least one thing nice about your least favorite elite skaters, and then leave it at that.

Note: this is not the "say something nice and then list everything bad" thread. Just say something nice! Everyone has good qualities.

I'll go first:

Alena Leonova looks lovely in her FS costume this year.

Elene Gedevanishvili- it's so exciting that a small federation like Georgia has such a good skater.

Evgeny Plushenko- I'm always amazed at how well he jumps, and especially at how well he lands jumps regardless of their air position.

Michael Weiss has a very good backflip.

Caydee Denney and John Coughlin are seriously solid, athletic skaters. I also love the "fish dive" in their exhibition program.

I loved Isabel Delobel and Olivier Schoenfelder's "Piano" free skate.

There. Now it's YOUR turn.

LongTimeLurker

On the Ice
Last week, Alena Leonova looked fantastic for her FS. Her makeup was perfect, and it was the first time I had seen her without a ponytail. Her hairstyle with the red flower looked great.

Rachael Flatt's SP dress this year is the most flattering one she's ever had.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Alena is not my least favorite skater...I am not sure who that would be...It was Amelie Lacoste, but I think she skates that LP very well, and the blonde hair and glammy Egyptian thing is a change. Cynthia did that thing too, but carried it off better. I have no least favorite skater in the world, but i agree how lovelu Aliona looks, her makeup really hilites her beautiful eys. Her skin looks flawless and for once her hair is beautifully styled. Her dress gives her more shape-a waist illusion. I think she looks very hot, and I like her seductress look. tango really suits her and at 21, she has come a long way from her debut as an irina S. wannabe. She's very pretty, really.

I like Rachael and did not see her dress, so what am I missing? Didn't she keep her Firebird dress from last year? It was stunning. Flatt is so cute-her baby pictures are so beyond adorable. She has lovely skin, nice smile, pretty blond hair. She is naturally cherubic, yet smart and sophisticated.

I think this year, Weir is my least favorite skater. I admire that he came out, and was unafraid to be who he is-very effeminate. He has a funny personality, and I loved his vancouver LP and will forever remember the crown of roses his fans gave him, and the way he shushed the booing crowd after his marks came up. He was very elegant as a swan, and his beautiful stroking and line will be remembered by skating fans despite his lack of a Wc or Oly medal.

I did a thread like this once quite a while back. It was like pulling teeth, lol.

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
I think this year, Weir is my least favorite skater. I admire that he came out, and was unafraid to be who he is-very effeminate. He has a funny personality, and I loved his vancouver LP and will forever remember the crown of roses his fans gave him, and the way he shushed the booing crowd after his marks came up. He was very elegant as a swan, and his beautiful stroking and line will be remembered by skating fans despite his lack of a Wc or Oly medal.

He does have a world bronze from 2008.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I hope Rachel is successful focusing full time on her studies at Stanford.

Evan is tall and won an Olympic gold medal.

Butterscotch17

On the Ice
Carolina Kostner has been very consistent and is quite elegant with beautiful lines.

Artur Gachinski, well, I like him off-ice, if that counts as saying somthing nice. Umm, he has big jumps when he's on.

Rachael Flatt is very determined, focused, smart, and admire her effort at trying to skate and go to college. I like the haircut she got after the Olympics.

That's about all I can think of...I don't love Patrick Chan, but he obviously has many good qualities like great speed, cconsistent quads, wonderful skating skills, etc.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
He does have a world bronze from 2008.

Yes, I knew that, I was referring to no WC gold, back when he won Nationals three times. I recall the bronze, but felt if he were not such a frightened competitor, he had the goods back then to be a WChampion. Really, Johnny started skating late on a cornfield, and he was like a deer in the headlights. here was a skater whose lack of confidence did him in. I used to love his glide/ice coverage and gentleness to the ice. Coulda been a contender, lol...but in US skating, he was a winner.

doug_log

On the Ice
Gachinski's hair did not look as dry at CoR as it has at previous competitions. That is an improvement.

Alena Leonova has passion.

Caydee Denney ties her shoes like a big girl! (All by herself)

Victura

On the Ice
Great idea for a thread! Injecting some positivity is always a good thing.

Plushenko - incredible jumping ability, have to admire his perseverance in continuing despite many injuries
Leonova - she's definitely her own person and doesn't conform to standards
Bonaly - see above for Leonova, plus she's done great things to stimulate interest in skating for minorities
Flatt - seems like a lovely person off-ice, clearly very bright and intelligent, surprised by how much I liked a few of her skates from her younger years
Denney - always looks solid and brimming with enthusiasm
Harding - what a jumper she was
Butyrskaya - really admire that she won a world title in her late 20s

The following are far from being my least favorite skaters, but those that I don't really enjoy watching, despite wanting to like them very much (so obviously they have great redeeming qualities that make me want to like them).

Amodio - nice skating skills, original movements, seems to have a fun personality
Davis & White - original dances, obviously good technicians, push themselves beyond what's comfortable, Davis especially seems like a really wonderful person
Gold - jumps cover a lot of distance and usually done with confidence and ease, good potential going forward
Lysacek - very good competitor, admire his work ethics

Last edited:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
:laugh: Wonderful idea! So...
Plushenko: he loves figure skating and keeps landing quads and being competitive throughout such many years.
Ilynikh-Katsalapov (I don't think I don't like them, I just hate Morozov's style and their FD this season! And they're C/L's rivals!:slink:): They are so talented for being so young.
Kavaguti-Smirnov: they keep changing their style, trying new things and difficulter elements like the 3T+3T sequence
Florent Amodio: he has wonderful footwork! He was able to learn a quad in a few months (I don't know if this is correct...)

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
My least favourite skater is likely someone I am completely oblivious to, so I will say this to them:

"Please do something memorable (preferably the Hanyu way, not the Alena way), so I will remember you next time!"

:popcorn:

Slowdive

On the Ice
She's maintained her love of the sport (competitively) for a number of years:
Carolina Kostner

Bdan

Rinkside
Ashley Wagner tries really hard and could totally play a "who" from whoville if they ever do the grinch on ice.

Silver1998

Rinkside
I agree! What a nice way to spread some positivity!

Evgeny Plushenko - I admire his persistence and the sustained consistency of his quads.
Barbara Fusar-Poli - What a stare! She's certainly ready to go toe to toe with her children once they become teens!
Inoue & Baldwin - What an exciting throw triple axel in Turin!
Alexei Urmanov - He seems like a genuinely sweet guy and I admire his devotion to his mother.
Sasha Cohen - Beautiful lines and great spins!

Sk8Boi

Match Penalty
Patrick Chan is a great skater.

YuNa Kim wears nice skating dresses.

Virtue and Moir have fluid movement.

Max Trankov has beautiful blue eyes.

LRK

Record Breaker
Um...

Patrick Chan: I think his current FP is the one I've liked the most; nice music choice & costume - I think it shows a lack of complacency (I'm not one of those who "hates" - even in the diluted modern sense - him personally) to try new things, and a willingness to take a dent in the scores - it's easy to not mind making mistakes if you win anyway, but to take it cheerfully on the chin, even when you do not, that I think, is a nice quality. (That said, he does need a technical coach - let me put it this way: if Plushy still needs a technical coach... Need I say more?)