Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: calling New York City Dwellers

When I was in Florida, I rented an electric scooter because I need to baby my knee. It was definitely less expensive to rent outside of the theme parks vs within each them park. They have some models that can be broken down easily enough to put into the trunk of a car, as long as you are under 200 lbs. However, The problem with motorized wheelchairs in NYC is that most curbs are not wheel chair accessible and it's definitely hard to manipulate in crowds. Forget about using the chairs downtown. since some curbs are higher than others. Also, hotel rooms in NYC are small ( at the 3 star level in tourist area) and it might be difficult to keep it inside the room and move around it.

Book of Mormon is the hot show, but it's a little risque for some people. Avenue Q is an older show that has ticket available during most week days, it's a risque puppet show.

If you don't eat much, I personally like street food. Stuff like Gyros and falafels are inexpensive. The gourmet food trucks are pricier. There's an gourmet empanada truck in Times Square in front of Toys'r'Us - $10 gets you 3 small empanadas and a bottle of water. There's lots of green grocers where you can buy food by the pound. While a sandwich can be expensive, some of them are large enough for 2 meals. You'd probably save money by not eating at the hotel. You can also pack some bottled water and just bring one with you during the day.

As far as lotteries, each show is different. A group of us got lucky and 2 of us got our names pulled the 2nd time we tried for tickets. The problem with the lottery tickets is that they are usually for the 1st row and in some theaters that = no leg room and having to tilt your head back during the entire production. It is thrilling to win them, but tall people would have a really uncomfortable time sitting in the seat for the length of the production.

I haven't looked at shows in a while; so, I'm not sure what's playing right now.

Personally, I wouldn't put Lion King at the top of my list. If you've seen the movie, all of the songs are too familiar. The puppets are the most interesting part of the show, but if you've seen them before, then it's not as spectacular. Yes, I did see it, but after seeing the movie and after seeing similar puppets at a different production. Everyone I went with felt a little let down, but it's based upon our prior experiences.

It was Kristen Chenoworth and Idina Menzel who starred in Wicked. However, they have long since departed the show and gone onto other things. Right now, I don't think there are any big names in the roles, but, as others have said, the show should be more about the show vs who is in it.

While a lot of the songs are straight from the film, others put words to the intrumental... and I love "One By One" which is just acapella and doesn't fit teh movie at all... the sets were incredible. I've seen cats, grease, the producers, beauty and the beast (awful, IMO), and stuff that was not done by a broadway tour company... but they all pale in comparison. The concepts are great...

and the Elephant, while a small part and probably done before, is impressive...

I went to the one that was done in Anchorage (tour) four times... I spent close to $1000 when all was said and done (bought tickets for family to go with etc) totally would go again...

Custom Title
    I'm sure I'd be in your camp on this one, Toni. It does sound like a feast for the eyes.

Thanks Guys. I was going to look at NYCB Nutcracker tix. In Boston it is rediculous. Csan people spend 336 for 1 good seat? I recall when Streisand charged that a decade ago. I wanted to go so bad. That would be worth it because she was seldom in concert. Now everything has gone crazy-the prices are making performing arts for the few. Even figureskating tickets are crazy expensive, and these are amateurs not making money these days. Everything I love is becoming more remote. TV had a wonderful Whitney tribute. It used to be these type shows were commonplace. I love the music from Lion King. I guess I'd try to see Wicked. I am looking for hotels but am wondering if I am being foolish-my strength.

It's funny, I think the arts are becoming easier to see. It used to be we couldn't afford the big shows up here, now the tours are more affordable for the Orchestra seats... it's great... guess it depends on where you are.

I wish I could visit Alaska, one of the most beautiful states, along with Hawaii. Who needs shows? LOL
    Last edited by skateluvr; 11-18-2012 at 03:25 PM.

Those of us who go through 7 months of cold winter - that's when they bring the shows up. We need to get out once in a while when it's too cold to go out and play!

We have it bad in New England, except last year. God only knows what is in store. I pray he takes it easy on us. Poor climate is so messed up, and the domino effect touches everything. This fall, I had a lady bug infestation. They are good luck, Dad said so don't kill'em. I had about 25 in my bedroom corners. Y'all know I could use the 'luck.' wish it were true.

It doesn't look possible to do NYC. Had I a partner, all would be different, but with sleep issues and sverely compromised knees, I can't do it. I should have a motorized chair, but my doctor is beyond ...I cannot sy. He does not know basic facts like I am a uterine cancer surevivor. Its been 4 years. So, I think I am going to try a religious retreat closer tom home and do things I can get to. I saw Nutcracker today-hybrid little kids and some pros for the principal roles and the local orchestra. I can't get over tix for Boston Ballet being 336.00 then ad in taking train or bus, or staying over if there is no matinee available for when I can go, and it's just as expensive as NYC. Still, if I just had a partner, but to hire someone doubles the price, and I have one pca who would not likely do it. Would not be a good match to travel as she is not really trained and would likely screw things up and blame me. Sorta like every day life at my house.

DFor 30 dollars i saw a pretty darn good Nutcracker with pros in the impt roles, and I saw so many adorable kids buying mice, nutcrackers at intermission. I did this for my neice at age 5, and the Nutcracker doll was her fave gift. We don't even see them-my mother is nearly 91. It is sad. I really wanted to steal the adorable kids in those holiday dresses. The mice and reindeer nwere beyond adorable. The theatre is nice and one of our only nice things left doing well in our typical dying US former mfg city.

So for Christmas, West Side Story is coming, and has six shows. I have tix for my mom, one of her gifts. I wish I could predict what will be in March or April, as Les Mis is coming. I have only seen it once on stage, years ago. I can't plan ahead. My constant prayer is for my mother, who is so frail. Anyway, the movie should be good. I don't buy many movies, nowadays, just hoping it will be worth it.

I know what you mean Toni times 10. I hate snow as I cannot ski of course, and ice is scary to disabled people and elderly. Two years ago, we were slammed every other day. And then summer is in the 90's! I amm in AC for 6 months, and missed summer-shingles. I am very affected by weather-humidity is bad here most days, so I wish my old best friend were not in seriouis relationship in his older age. I would have someone to help me relocate to florida. The sun, and just seeing the ocean is very healing. And I'd rather live in Ac all the time. I am toom afraid to travel alone, as i easily forget where I put my bag. I can't risk that in a strange city, or somone targeting me walking slow with a cane. This former world traveller is stuck.

2014 Nationals (darn cap key!) grrr is in Boston. I guess we are talking 2 grand, right for all event tix and staying in city, which I'd have to do. i cannot plan ahead. I might be in a nursing home by then. So, I have much help to ask God. When you do your best, care for others, and disability leaves you alone, it is tough to take. I used to have a college chum in NYC but she moved eons ago. Being disabled in one's twenties is something only those in the same shoes can fathom.

The cost of skating competitions seems rediculous-why so high? Who is making the money? I'd like to know why they allow all these seats to go empty rather than filling them at last minute with cutrate tickets. It looks really bad for the sport on TV and reinforces the notion it is a sport for rich peoiple, like horsemanship. People in charge should be rethinking things in this economy. Goodness knows the skaters are not getting the bucks even when they win. It really is a deplorable situation.

2000? Doubtful it's that high when you dont have to deal with airfare, the only reason it was 1600 for me was the airfare. It depends on where you stay and if you can split the hotel costs. I was only able to go in the years I did because i had friends to stay with or room with and my aunt gifted me airline tickets.

You can do it on a shoestring budget (that goes for any travel) but it takes a fair amount of work on one's part to do it. None of my trips have been outright splurges. I am a major planner and budgetter.

I don't begrudge anyone for being able to take a trip, to wherever for however long. Folks take trips that I wish I could all the time, it's not their fault that I can't - nor is it their duty to fight and make it easier for me to take a trip. Funny thing is you can have all the money in the world, splurge on the finest everything on vacation and still have a horrible time. Knowing that I have little desire to compete with fabled vacations. I can have just as good a time over a weekend in a neighboring town than I can anywhere else.

Guess I say all that to say - it's all a matter of perspective. Can't take the trip now? Save up. Even if you dont make it to that vacay goal, it'll be a good "unknown expense" savings.
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 11-25-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    If anyone in NYC is near Bryant Park today (Tue Nov 27), the tree lighting there from 6:30 - 8:00 pm will include skating performances:

- Steven Cousins
    - The Haydenettes
    - The Kerrs
    - Joannie Rochette

"... free and open-to-the-public event ... Following the closing of the ceremony, stick around for free-admission ice skating for all."

http://citipondatbryantpark.com/even...-tree-lighting
    http://www.bryantpark.org/plan-your-...html?evt=2655#

Sorry for the short notice -- but I just saw tweets from Rochette and Sinead Kerr about the event.

Just as an aside, on the news tonight, while FEMA is giving lots of money to folks on Staten Island for housing, there is a housing shortage which may effect hotel availability and prices.
    There was a town hall meeting which got pretty rowdy as Staten Island politicians wont allow FEMA trailers so people are living in their dangerously damaged homes without sewer or water
    as they have no where to go....

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I wonder what they are doing for heat...

Custom Title
    Why won't they allow FEMA trailers? Is is because of the problems after Katrina?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Here's a news report
    http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...ork&id=8903133

It didn't make it clear to me.

It sounds like there is a lot of confusion and misinformation.

Like if I take a trailer, do I still get help to fix my house?
    If I fix my house with the fast fix program, do I lose any FEMA insurance help?
    Apparently you are OK -just document the damage. That's how it worked here.

Apparently, Gerritsen Beach residents want FEMA trailers
    http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...ors&id=8902882
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 12-01-2012 at 07:25 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast