On the Ice
http://www.skatecanada.ca/english/cdnse04/results/index.html

WOW!!!!! Interesting results:

1. Cynthia Phaneuf
2. Jennifer Robinson
3. Mira Leung
4. Annie Bellemarre
5. Joannie Rochette

I am in shock - those are NOT the results that I expected after the SP. Same top 5 I would expect, but certainly not in that order. Joannie must have really fallen apart, and Cynthia must have had the skate of her life....

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Did you read Jennifer forgot the first part of her SP? I posted the article from TSN.

The other thread said that Jennifer won the short program despite forgetting her choreography. Did Cynthia P. really win?

Mathman

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
The information I posted was from Skate Canada's Official results, so I am a little confused myself. That said, it certainly wouldn't be the first time the press reported incorrect information.

Canuck

Beenie

Spectator
Here's the URL for the results per Skate Canada:
http://www.skatecanada.ca/english/cd nse04/results/index.html

Cynthia was 1st in the SP but is 2nd over all so far when the Q round is factored in.

brenlynn

On the Ice
one of my friends said that jennifer skated the 1st couple minutes of her long program instead of her short program :laugh: guess her nerves were getting to be a bit much!! poor jen!

rain

Record Breaker
I taped this last night - started late for me here on the east coast - and I can't wait to see it after checking out the results this morning. I am so stoked that there are finally a couple new young faces in ladies that just may be the next generation we've all been waiting several generations for. Sad for Joannie - I hope they show her qualifying round which I hear was spectacular - and I hope she does well in the LP. I have to say, I really hope they mark what happens on the ice and don't go into a tailspin with the new faces and just mark on reputation - which would give us Robinson as champion again no matter how she skates....

Foxy

Rinkside
Cynthia and Mira were awesome! I stayed up until midnight to watch and I'm so glad that they both skated before the others, or I would have gone to bed after seeing Joannie, Michelle and Annie. What's wrong with these girls at Nationals? Jennifer's combo. jump and 3 flip were not clean. She was interviewed and said she was like "a pre-novice little girl", forgot the program at the age of 27.

But, Cynthia skated with such joy, big smiles, lots of speed and a clean program. I'm looking forward to her long. Go Cynthia!

Mia was a delight, also skated a clean program, landing a 3 lutz 2 loop. (Fingers crossed for a podium finish for her!)

The others were a disappointment. I hope they can pull their nerves together and just go for it in the long.

May the best skate of the night win the long. Good luck to everyone.

Spark

Rinkside
First, I'm disappointed for Joannie. After seeing her short program, I take back everything I said on Shine's thread below about how she should try a different choreographer. I think her "Metamorphoses" SP is G O R G E O U S and quite unique. Too bad we didn't get to see it skated clean! I know she would have brought out that music even more if she hadn't had trouble on the jumps. *sigh* She seems to be the type of skater who's mindset seems to be determined by the first couple important jumps. If she misses a tough triple early on, she can unravel, but if she gets a couple solid triples behind her, she can carry that momentum to the end. I want her to have the performance of her life in the long program. She is by far the most beautiful skater to watch in this event right now, and I hope she can learn to be more comfortable in competition.

On the other hand, I'm pleased with the young talent in the country right now! A fourteen-year-old and a fifteen-year-old skate clean SPs that include triple lutz combinations and triple flips. Phaneuf and Leung and also both pretty musical and very pleasing to watch. They really could do well internationally if they keep improving at the rate they have. I have high hopes that this will be the best ladies' nationals we've seen in a long time. Jennifer's really going to have to skate tonight if she wants another title!