Charlie White article and video on NHL.com | Golden Skate

Charlie White article and video on NHL.com

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Wow, is Charlie White cool or what!? :cool:

Must-see article and video (2:33 in length) at the NHL link below. Plus a very cute off-ice photo of Davis/White that I don't remember seeing before.

Charlie White ‏@CharlieaWhite
Finally made it onto http://NHL.com ! So cool. Next step, enter the draft. http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=645293
Hockey background helps White dominate ice dancing
Charlie White chose figure skating over hockey, but says the skills he learned helped turn him into an Olympic medalist and world champion.
9:03 AM - 15 Nov 12​

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Charlie doing jumps as a little tad on hockey skates, too cute!

And the image of hockey skaters supporting the ice dancers, from the article, really nice.

"I was such a good skater that they really respected what figure skating was able to do for my hockey. I think that led them to respect figure skating. Through the years, I've been in contact with the guys and they continue to be very supportive," said White, who followed up Olympic silver in 2010 by winning a gold at the World Championships in 2011, the first by an American team in ice dancing. "They were very understanding when I decided to step away from hockey."

I liked his comment about never quitting on his "team" (Meryl), just like he never quit on his hockey team.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I'm not a fan of D/W's by any means, but that was a great article. A pity a few anti-skating types couldn't keep their thoughts to themselves at the end of it, but Charlie >>> idiot commenters.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I went back and read the comments, and sorry I did...however, I remember Charlie's hockey teammates & the pros he met at Olympics have appropriate respect for the dancers :love:

noskates

Record Breaker
I have a feeling those idiot comments were made by people who have NO idea how grueling and physical figure skating is. I would bet Charie's endurance is as great as any hockey player - and best of all he still has all his teeth. (I think) There are always "griefers" on any website that delight in tearing people down. Must be a sad life to be them.

Great video. I knew Charlie had played hockey but didn't know he was that good as a junior hockey player.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Triple A travel team is pretty impressive, especially when it appears that it definitely is feeding kids both to college, and ultimately to the NHL.