Lack of flexibility to replace withdrawn skater in Grand Prix - Your thoughts? | Golden Skate

Lack of flexibility to replace withdrawn skater in Grand Prix - Your thoughts?

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
Lack of flexibility to replace withdrawn skater in Grand Prix - Your thoughts?

We can see that the case of Misha Ge is pretty sad, why any federation did not accept him for replacing some withdrawn skater ?

And also, Why NHK accept to enter Nagasu (9 days before the competition) and not Osmond (7 days before the competition) ?

Etc. they are others case ...

What are your thought about that ?

Do you fell that the ISU lack of flexibility to replace withdrawn skater in Grand Prix ?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's always been the GP rule that a skater/couple must be replaced if the withdrawal occurs 14 days or more before the start of the competition. After that, the host federation is not required to, but may be able to make a replacement up to a week before the competition. Once you get into that one week area, it's just too late.

Also, it is the choice of the HOST FEDERATION to choose a replacement. The host can choose one of five skaters from a replacement list, based on the 2011-2012 rank on the Seasons Best list. There is no obligation to choose a specific skater, be it Misha Ge or Kaetlyn Osmond.

Kalina

On the Ice
And also, Why NHK accept to enter Nagasu (9 days before the competition) and not Osmond (7 days before the competition) ?

Again? Osmond isn't on the top 24 SB list, so she actually shouldn't get another spot. It doesn't matter how well she did this season, but last season (2011-2012). Nagasu is in the top 24 SB list, so she is more entitled to that spot than Osmond and is a Japanese citizen, which means that she won't have visa problems. Her situation is much different.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Skaters don't have to be in the top 24 of the Seasons Best list to be on the replacement list, they just have to be in the top 60 on the list. Elena Glebova and Jenna McCorkell got tapped as replacement skaters and they aren't in the top 24 and didn't have any GP assignments.

The host nation has to pick a skater from a list of five, drawn from the Season's Best list. There is no rule that the top skater on the list has to be the one chosen. Until NHK, Nagasu was the top skater on the SB list who did not have two GP assignments, but she was bypassed for Gao, Korpi, Joshi Helgesson, Lacoste, Biryukova, Glebova and McCorkell.

It was only fair that Nagasu, technically a Japanese citizen, was finally chosen as a replacement at NHK. She is very popular with Japanese audiences and she was the logical choice for the JSF.

shine

Record Breaker
Again? Osmond isn't on the top 24 SB list, so she actually shouldn't get another spot. It doesn't matter how well she did this season, but last season (2011-2012). Nagasu is in the top 24 SB list, so she is more entitled to that spot than Osmond and is a Japanese citizen, which means that she won't have visa problems. Her situation is much different.
Nagasu is a Japanese citizen? I thought Japan doesn't recognize dual citizenship. Even if she was, why would that matter if Canadians don't need a visa to visit Japan?

mskater93

Record Breaker
Yes, dual citizenship under the age of 21 is allowed, so she has dual citizenship. Also, I believe that Shelepen withdrew at the 14 day mark and Nagasu was announced as the replacement with 12 days left.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The point is the JSF has the right to choose ANY skater from the replacement list. There was ZERO obligation to pick Osmond. If they picked Nagasu, it could be because she is technically a Japanese citizen and is very popular with Japanese audiences. OTOH, Japanese audiences have never heard of Kaetlyn Osmond.

wallylutz

Medalist
OTOH, Japanese audiences have never heard of Kaetlyn Osmond.

You think? The teenager who just beat Akiko Suzuki and Kanako Murakami at a GP event and the Japanese audience has never heard of her. Do you think the Japanese people live in a cave or something?

pista04

On the Ice
I do think that they would be unhappy to see Suzuki or Murakami be challenged again by Osmond, and therefore have their GPF position be in danger. I elaborated on that on the other thread.

As for this topic, I think a large part of the question is the fact that in a lot of ways, each federation is more or less sovereign in their competition. Yes, there are ISU rules, but these are events that require outside funding and sponsorship, popularity, and eventual income. Why invite a girl who can potentially upset two of the biggest reasons people are excited to come to your event? What message does that send? If public opinion moves critically against Japanese skaters, which I doubt it would, that could result in less public excitement and ticket sales in the future.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You think? The teenager who just beat Akiko Suzuki and Kanako Murakami at a GP event and the Japanese audience has never heard of her. Do you think the Japanese people live in a cave or something?

Osmond had HUGE home ice advantage, which she definitely would not have at NHK. I'd expect rabid Japanese skating fans to be skeptical about the scoring at Skate Canada.

And I am talking about Japanese audiences buying tickets to NHK, not internet fans. I doubt very much that the name "Osmond" would have people racing out to buy tickets to see her.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
And I am talking about Japanese audiences buying tickets to NHK, not internet fans. I doubt very much that the name "Osmond" would have people racing out to buy tickets to see her.

Not...yet =)

rvi5

On the Ice
Lack of flexibility to replace withdrawn skater in Grand Prix - Your thought ?

Osmond had HUGE home ice advantage, which she definitely would not have at NHK.

Osmond received scores of 170+ at both SCI and Nebelhorn. It is irrelevant whether anyone considers the scores inflated or not. The fact remains, the international judges "did give these scores" at both of Osmond's only senior international events. Can you guarantee 100% beyond a shadow of a doubt, the international judges wouldn't do it again at NHK for whatever reason? Can the JSF be certain? There are no do-overs if they guess wrong.

Last edited:

ForeverFish

Medalist
The Japanese federation has no reason to give the spot to Osmond, and without her "home ice" advantage, she'd be lucky to medal against the likes of Mao, Akiko, and Mirai, all of whom are immensely popular with the audience and have the controversial advantage.

^ That's a reason why they should invite her. She's no threat to anyone. ;)

Last edited:

NMURA

Medalist
At this point, Osmond is an actual threat to Gao, Zawadzki, Nagasu, Tuktami, et al. It's quite apparent that JSF wants to keep on good terms with Russia and USA than Canada. That blatant home-cooking at SC was frownd upon by many non-Canadians including Japanese.

I'm very positive that JSF has invited Osmond if she was placed around 4th as deserved. She won't be a particular threat to anyone then. Individual skaters hold no responsibility but they are representing each federations.

rvi5

On the Ice
Lack of flexibility to replace withdrawn skater in Grand Prix - Your thought ?

Also keep in mind, Kaetlyn did not skate both SP an LP clean at SCI and Nebelhorn. If she had, what score would the judges have given her? How much of a threat could she become, especially if the other skaters make mistakes.

Last edited:

wallylutz

Medalist
Yeah, it's kind of funny some people talk about home ice inflation for Osmond as though it's fact, and supposedly from Americans who have - more like, "had" positive views of her - that is until, it becomes clear she could beat every single American woman out there even this year. To rvi5's point, Osmond hasn't yet skated clean and is far from her full potential still. Yet, she is getting score that with the exception of Yuna Kim, every other woman competing has to take notice. If they firmly believe those scores were inflated, then they should have invited her to the NHK, with jet lag and all, she may not skate that well. If anything, her SP score were undermarked seriously for what she did because she was the first to skate. Compared to Ashley Wagner whose SP at TEB, doing a Triple toe-double toe combo and only a Triple Loop for her 2nd jump yet getting a 62, I feel like we are back in 1982, not 2012. :sarcasm: Speaking of inflation, that 62 is a true inflated score. If Wagner is not American, she would be no where near that kind of score for such medicore skate - not only the jumps were easy, they were shaky too. I guess that is what they are trying to protect yet I haven't seen any threads or calls for an investigation of the TEB scoring of the ladies events, like a bunch we saw after SCI. Talking about double standards...

spikydurian

Medalist
Speaking of inflation, that 62 is a true inflated score. If Wagner is not American, she would be no where near that kind of score for such medicore skate - not only the jumps were easy, they were shaky too. I guess that is what they are trying to protect yet I haven't seen any threads or calls for an investigation of the TEB scoring of the ladies events, like a bunch we saw after SCI. Talking about double standards...
:think:Shall I start one? ...:biggrin:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Compared to Ashley Wagner whose SP at TEB, doing a Triple toe-double toe combo and only a Triple Loop for her 2nd jump yet getting a 62, I feel like we are back in 1982, not 2012. :sarcasm: Speaking of inflation, that 62 is a true inflated score. If Wagner is not American, she would be no where near that kind of score for such medicore skate - not only the jumps were easy, they were shaky too.

Triple Flip-double toe. And she got "extra credit" because of the new short program second-half rule. So you're right, she wouldn't have scored as high ... if it weren't for the second half rule that Lipnitskaya didn't utilize.