Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lack of flexibility to replace withdrawn skater in Grand Prix - Your thoughts?

Custom Title
    I think the ISU just needs to get over itself and go back to twelve single skaters.

Custom Title

Lack of flexibility to replace withdrawn skater in Grand Prix - Your thought ?

Also keep in mind, Kaetlyn did not skate both SP an LP clean at SCI and Nebelhorn. If she had, what score would the judges have given her? How much of a threat could she become, especially if the other skaters make mistakes.
    Last edited by rvi5; 11-16-2012 at 11:26 PM.

Custom Title
    Yeah, it's kind of funny some people talk about home ice inflation for Osmond as though it's fact, and supposedly from Americans who have - more like, "had" positive views of her - that is until, it becomes clear she could beat every single American woman out there even this year. To rvi5's point, Osmond hasn't yet skated clean and is far from her full potential still. Yet, she is getting score that with the exception of Yuna Kim, every other woman competing has to take notice. If they firmly believe those scores were inflated, then they should have invited her to the NHK, with jet lag and all, she may not skate that well. If anything, her SP score were undermarked seriously for what she did because she was the first to skate. Compared to Ashley Wagner whose SP at TEB, doing a Triple toe-double toe combo and only a Triple Loop for her 2nd jump yet getting a 62, I feel like we are back in 1982, not 2012. Speaking of inflation, that 62 is a true inflated score. If Wagner is not American, she would be no where near that kind of score for such medicore skate - not only the jumps were easy, they were shaky too. I guess that is what they are trying to protect yet I haven't seen any threads or calls for an investigation of the TEB scoring of the ladies events, like a bunch we saw after SCI. Talking about double standards...

Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Speaking of inflation, that 62 is a true inflated score. If Wagner is not American, she would be no where near that kind of score for such medicore skate - not only the jumps were easy, they were shaky too. I guess that is what they are trying to protect yet I haven't seen any threads or calls for an investigation of the TEB scoring of the ladies events, like a bunch we saw after SCI. Talking about double standards...
    Shall I start one? ...

Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Compared to Ashley Wagner whose SP at TEB, doing a Triple toe-double toe combo and only a Triple Loop for her 2nd jump yet getting a 62, I feel like we are back in 1982, not 2012. Speaking of inflation, that 62 is a true inflated score. If Wagner is not American, she would be no where near that kind of score for such medicore skate - not only the jumps were easy, they were shaky too.
    Triple Flip-double toe. And she got "extra credit" because of the new short program second-half rule. So you're right, she wouldn't have scored as high ... if it weren't for the second half rule that Lipnitskaya didn't utilize.

Custom Title
    Wagner is the seeded skater at TEB for having finished 5th at Worlds 2012. Like it or not, she gets high PCS scores for her crisp presentation.

Osmond was the 10th place finisher at 2012 JW, and in her first GP SP she scores a 60 with 7s in PCS? When does that happen? When a Canadian skater skates on home ice, that's when. At the TEB SP, Elena Glebova landed the exact same jumps as Osmond and received 52 points, with 5s and 6s in PCS.

Custom Title
    Wagner is a far superior all around skater compared to Osmond.

Custom Title
    Well she should be she's seven years older and still doing the easy jumps in her short program.

Custom Title
    Wagner also skated a clean FS. Osmond did not and has not yet done so.

Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    At this point, Osmond is an actual threat to Gao, Zawadzki, Nagasu, Tuktami, et al. It's quite apparent that JSF wants to keep on good terms with Russia and USA than Canada.
    Wait a minute. WallyLutz just told us that it was Skate Canada that the Japanese Federation had to cozy up to. Has the Japanese Federation switched over to the USA-Russia axis, then?

It is not easy to see why the Japanese Federation would care one way or the other whether Zawadski, Nagasu, or Tuktamisheva grabbed that last spot in the GP final.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I think the ISU just needs to get over itself and go back to twelve single skaters.
    I think what the ISU has to get over is the lack of money to run a full program.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I think that the Japanese Federation is just exercising its option to save money by not filling the final slot. They have to pay the airfare, hotel, and food for any skaters invited from the time of the first practice to the day after the Gala. There is no reason they would pay exorbitant rates for planes close to departure time unless they were getting someone that would be a huge crowd draw in Japan (raise more in ticket sales than they would cost to fly, feed and house) If Alissa had dropped out 14 or more days before the team leader's meeting, Japan would have been required to fill the slot.

After that? Not.

Custom Title
    Lots of whining by the Canadians, methinks. Suck it up, fans. There's no conspiracy here. You seem to be more upset about the lack of a second GP than Osmond herself. If Osmond's really that good, she'll clean up at 4CC and Worlds.

But I do agree with the premise of the thread, that there could and should be a better system for assigning replacement skaters.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I think that the Japanese Federation is just exercising its option to save money by not filling the final slot. They have to pay the airfare, hotel, and food for any skaters invited from the time of the first practice to the day after the Gala. There is no reason they would pay exorbitant rates for planes close to departure time unless they were getting someone that would be a huge crowd draw in Japan (raise more in ticket sales than they would cost to fly, feed and house) If Alissa had dropped out 14 or more days before the team leader's meeting, Japan would have been required to fill the slot.

After that? Not.
    And as I said somewhere (there are way too many threads on this topic), it is so difficult to get tickets from NHK Trophy that Japanese fans actually travel elsewhere to go to see their favorite skaters... so they are definitely not lacking or need a huge crowd draw. They did that by having Takahashi and Hanyu at the same event as well as Mao and Akiko in the Ladies. Also D/W has become quite popular in Japan thanks to doing shows, so there's the draw in Ice Dance.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post

After that? Not.
    Thank you; I was getting a bit tired of reading all the conspiracy theories, stated as if they were facts.

Custom Title
    Now, Tuktami is likely to grab the last spot for GPF. Very good for the GPF host! The Osmond issue is closed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast