Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lack of flexibility to replace withdrawn skater in Grand Prix - Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    Lots of whining by the Canadians, methinks. Suck it up, fans. There's no conspiracy here. You seem to be more upset about the lack of a second GP than Osmond herself. If Osmond's really that good, she'll clean up at 4CC and Worlds.

But I do agree with the premise of the thread, that there could and should be a better system for assigning replacement skaters.
    The whinging and conspiracy theory on Osmond's win in SC did not arise from the Canadians.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    No, but the whinging & conspiracy theories about why the rules aren't being rewritten and bent on the fly to give her a second GP are certainly being done by Osmond fans. They were only equalled by whinging from fans that wanted Mirai Nagasu at a second GP.

Not to mention Misha Ge fans.

Mirai can still make it, right? Get second at NHK with a huge score?

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    No, but the whinging & conspiracy theories about why the rules aren't being rewritten and bent on the fly to give her a second GP are certainly being done by Osmond fans. They were only equalled by whinging from fans that wanted Mirai Nagasu at a second GP.

Not to mention Misha Ge fans.
    not all fans... I'm not whining...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Now, Tuktami is likely to grab the last spot for GPF. Very good for the GPF host! The Osmond issue is closed.
    Perhaps. Tuktamysheva has 22 points and Lipnitskaia has 24. If Asada and Suzuki finish 1-2 at NHK (in any order), both Russian ladies could make the GPF.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Yeah, it's kind of funny some people talk about home ice inflation for Osmond as though it's fact, and supposedly from Americans who have - more like, "had" positive views of her - that is until, it becomes clear she could beat every single American woman out there even this year.
    Not quite. At TEB, Wagner scored 15 points higher than Osmond's SC score, and Ashley wasn't on home ice.

Now, see, if the Japanese Federation was really smart they would invite Osmond at the last minute and let her get third. That would knock out Tuktamishiva and give Asada and Suzuki a better chance to win the GP final.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    No, but the whinging & conspiracy theories about why the rules aren't being rewritten and bent on the fly to give her a second GP are certainly being done by Osmond fans.
    It isn't as if JSF hasn't accommodated Skate Canada in other ways. They picked Rogozine for an original invitation when he wasn't in the top 24 on ISU World Ranking OR top 24 on the SB scores list.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Yeah, it's kind of funny some people talk about home ice inflation for Osmond as though it's fact, and supposedly from Americans who have - more like, "had" positive views of her - that is until, it becomes clear she could beat every single American woman out there even this year. To rvi5's point, Osmond hasn't yet skated clean and is far from her full potential still. Yet, she is getting score that with the exception of Yuna Kim, every other woman competing has to take notice. If they firmly believe those scores were inflated, then they should have invited her to the NHK, with jet lag and all, she may not skate that well. If anything, her SP score were undermarked seriously for what she did because she was the first to skate. Compared to Ashley Wagner whose SP at TEB, doing a Triple toe-double toe combo and only a Triple Loop for her 2nd jump yet getting a 62, I feel like we are back in 1982, not 2012. Speaking of inflation, that 62 is a true inflated score. If Wagner is not American, she would be no where near that kind of score for such medicore skate - not only the jumps were easy, they were shaky too. I guess that is what they are trying to protect yet I haven't seen any threads or calls for an investigation of the TEB scoring of the ladies events, like a bunch we saw after SCI. Talking about double standards...
    Way to go Wallylutz! As you know we Canadians are a polite and non interfering bunch... I was told by one American that her travel knapsack had a Canadian flag so that she would be more acceptable around the world!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Not quite. At TEB, Wagner scored 15 points higher than Osmond's SC score, and Ashley wasn't on home ice.
    Osmond is a kid in her first senior season compared to Wagner who is a veteran.

Custom Title
    I know. But wallylutz said Osmond could "beat every single American woman out there".

I guess wallylutz is wrong.

Custom Title
    Oh, this conversation is getting ridiculous.

Would I like to see Osmond with a second GP? Yes. She's clearly ready for it. I don't know how well she'd perform, of course, but given that she's had two victories back to back, posted relatively decent scores at both, and in general is a bright talent with a flair for performing, I don't think it's the worst idea in the history of the universe.

Did Osmond earn a second GP? No. The only skaters that "earn" two GPs are those that were top ten at Worlds. She wasn't. And while her skates this season have been worthy of praise, that's not what determines GP selection.

Mathman, I'd be interested in how much money the ISU saved by cutting two singles skaters (four in total) and two dance teams from each GP event. I'd suggest that investing in a solid competition circuit promotes the sport and makes money in the long term.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Perhaps. Tuktamysheva has 22 points and Lipnitskaia has 24. If Asada and Suzuki finish 1-2 at NHK (in any order), both Russian ladies could make the GPF.
    I believe they will. Asada and Suzuki will have the home ice advantage, and even elsewhere, I wouldn't expect any of the other skaters to surpass them.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Mathman, I'd be interested in how much money the ISU saved by cutting two singles skaters (four in total) and two dance teams from each GP event. I'd suggest that investing in a solid competition circuit promotes the sport and makes money in the long term.
    The ISU cut back on the number of judges (from 14 to 9) a couple of years ago so they wouldn't have to pay hotels and meals for so many. They reduced the prize money for ISU championships substantially (and I believe that they no longer give the prize money for the best season any more?). I don't think any of the Grand Prix events makes money, except NHK. For Skate America, it is a struggle each year to find a city and local club willing to put it on. At 2009 Skate America the ISU threatened to withhold the promised financial support because they felt that the USFSA hadn't worked hard enough to line up a satisfactory television contract for the Olympic season.

Overall, I have the impression that the ISU cannot invest in a solid competition circuit because they have nothing to invest. Plus, there is little prospect of reviving interest in skating anyway.

Custom Title
    Right, and I can see how all those cuts save money. I maintain my above interest, regardless.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast