Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Results 241 to 247 of 247

Thread: 2012 TEB Ladies Short Program SP

  1. #241
    Custom Title DianaSelene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,205
    Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    Counter example: Caroline Zhang's pearl. Has vanished
    Good try, bad example. First of all, Zhang still has her pearl. Second, she has become less flexible partly because she is not as fit and gained weight, not just because she became a "lady". Flexibility does not just vanish, unless a person stops stretching and working out. Older women such as 40-year-old ballerinas and twenty something-year-olds gymnasts are still flexible, it would be dumb to assume that with puberty "all her spins will be gone".

  2. #242
    Spiral Lover tulosai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    3,164
    Quote Originally Posted by DianaSelene View Post
    Good try, bad example. First of all, Zhang still has her pearl. Second, she has become less flexible partly because she is not as fit and gained weight, not just because she became a "lady". Flexibility does not just vanish, unless a person stops stretching and working out. Older women such as 40-year-old ballerinas and twenty something-year-olds gymnasts are still flexible, it would be dumb to assume that with puberty "all her spins will be gone".
    I'd also like to add that flexibility is not necessarily correlated with weight, period. Gaining some weight and/or going through puberty will NOT impact someone's flexibility unless (as you say) their overall fitness goes down and they stop stretching. While some people are naturally more flexible than others, it is something that can be cultivated, maintained, and worked on if one puts in the effort. When asked about her training, Sasha Cohen once said that she spent two hours each day stretching. Her flexibility was not just some gift from god (though she surely was more flexible than most could ever be). It was something she deliberately cultivated and maintained, each day.

  3. #243
    Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,101
    Quote Originally Posted by koatcue
    She is a child.A very good and promising skater.So stop, please. Where was Ashley 2-3 years ago?Nowhere. And look at her now - a top contender everywhere, a great performer...The thing is that everything comes with age and experience.Right now I admire Julia's great spirit and tech difficulty. I believe she'll progress during her life in other aspects of skating.
    I'm aware of that, and I didn't mean to say anything against her potential, difficulty or great spirit. I was replying to what Mao88 wrote - Ash just being better overall because of her easier content. And that's absurd. Of course probably the main reason Ash is better is her experience, but it doesn't matter what the reason is: for now she's better overall. Maybe 20-year old Julia will be better than Ashely is now, but that's not the question.

    And I'm sorry, but her age is not the all ending answer to her missing musicality - look at Liza, Adelina, little Elene now, Yuna and Mao back than... all of them had some inate relation to the music you could already see, eventhough they maybe were not capable to express it well. But it was there. And I'm not seeing that in Julia - she might develop it, but for now, you gotta rate what's actually happening.

  4. #244
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    591
    Just got to watch Mae Berenice Meite's short. Her athleticism is just amazing, with rather manly moves. This style is probably not everyone's favorite, but to me, the kind of athleticism she demonstrates, is art.

  5. #245
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,122
    Quote Originally Posted by hippomoomin View Post
    Just got to watch Mae Berenice Meite's short. Her athleticism is just amazing, with rather manly moves. This style is probably not everyone's favorite, but to me, the kind of athleticism she demonstrates, is art.
    I wouldn't call Meite's moves "manly" at all. She's female through and through. She's also statuesque and powerful and she's learning how to own what she's got and who she is, no apologies.

    Kudos to Mae-Berenice!

  6. #246
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,235
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirunna View Post
    That is why Ashley never won big titles 2-3 years ago, because it took her time to develop. Julia has all the time to develop, I believe she has the potential to be great someday artistically but she is not today. Her skating skills are not so good today. She pays no attention to the music. She must be scored for what she can do in the present not for what great potential she has to be great someday. I admire her technical difficulty and great spirit too, but that has nothing to do with how she should be scored on PCS.
    ^^^^ THIS

  7. #247
    Custom Title Mao88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,973
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    I'm aware of that, and I didn't mean to say anything against her potential, difficulty or great spirit. I was replying to what Mao88 wrote - Ash just being better overall because of her easier content. And that's absurd. Of course probably the main reason Ash is better is her experience, but it doesn't matter what the reason is: for now she's better overall. Maybe 20-year old Julia will be better than Ashely is now, but that's not the question.

    And I'm sorry, but her age is not the all ending answer to her missing musicality - look at Liza, Adelina, little Elene now, Yuna and Mao back than... all of them had some inate relation to the music you could already see, eventhough they maybe were not capable to express it well. But it was there. And I'm not seeing that in Julia - she might develop it, but for now, you gotta rate what's actually happening.
    That is not what I said. Moreover, what I actually said has been removed.

    For the record, what I actually said was it's easy to perform weak content with quality - not 'better overall' with weak content.
    Last edited by Mao88; 11-19-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •