Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: 2012 TEB Ladies Short Program SP

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Julia has a 3X3. Besides that, her jumps are small and her 2A is atrocious. Ashley flutzes (so does Julia), but otherwise has a lot of speed, height and flow in her jumps. Julia's spins are better, but not by a mile -- Ashley has strong spins on the whole.

The judges sent the message with such a close score that a clean Julia will not necessarily beat a clean Ashley. As I pointed out if she just did her spins to level 4 (which is a technical panel issue), which she can do, she would have won the SP. I don't think Julia has it in the bag just yet.
    Agreed

Custom Title
    Julia has a 3X3. Besides that, her jumps are small and her 2A is atrocious. Ashley flutzes (so does Julia), but otherwise has a lot of speed, height and flow in her jumps. Julia's spins are better, but not by a mile -- Ashley has strong spins on the whole.

The judges sent the message with such a close score that a clean Julia will not necessarily beat a clean Ashley. As I pointed out if she just did her spins to level 4 (which is a technical panel issue), which she can do, she would have won the SP. I don't think Julia has it in the bag just yet.
    The only reason the scores were close is because Julia was undermarked in terms of PCS (which I hope will not be repeated in the FS), and she flutzed her Lutz (which she normally does not do). If Wagner were to beat a clean Lipnitskaya in the LP, it would be another scandal of Osmond proportions
    Last edited by Mao88; 11-16-2012 at 02:38 PM.

how is Liza's PCS so low, it has even regressed this season, her PCS is even below Polina K. and Julia

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    The only reason the scores were close is because Julia was undermarked in terms of PCS (which I hope will not be repeated in the FS), and she flutzed her Lutz (which she normally does not do). If Wagner were to beat a clean Lipnitskaya in the LP, it would be another scandal of Osmond proportions
    Julia undermarked in PCS? Compared to? I say maybe Liza was a bit undermarked in PCS compared to what scores Polina and Julia got. But Ashley was head and shoulders above the rest, presentation wise. And I agree overall with Julia being first thanks to her strong elements. But she has work to do to increase her PCS score. There is no comparison between Osmond and Ashley. And I am not a fan of Ashley by the way but today she had the best performance

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    I don't think so. Wagner has much, much better presentation than Osmond does currently.

Julia's PCS was slightly higher but the same as COC. They are lower relative to her junior PCS -- but again -- they are higher as a junior because her PCS mark was relatively higher than her competitors there. Seniors are a whole other ball game as far as her PCS mark.

And actually Julia has an acute flutz. Per the -GOE, it was not a severe edge, so she should be fine as long as she controls the edging.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    how is Liza's PCS so low, it has even regressed this season, her PCS is even below Polina K. and Julia
    I know, Tuk was way undermarked on her PCS (as was Julia)

what a fighter Julia is for such a young age

nerves of steel and heart of a lion, she did really well today

skating philosopher
    Ashley is happy with her SP performance today. Per her twitter:

Great start to the competition tonight! Def an improvement upon SA so I'm very happy! Dinner with @jeremyabbottpcf to top off the night!
    Glad that both her and Jeremy have something to celebrate tonight!

Custom Title

The judges sent the message with such a close score that a clean Julia will not necessarily always beat a clean Ashley. As I pointed out if Ashley just did her spins to level 4 (which is a technical panel issue), which she can do, she would have won the SP. I don't think Julia has it in the bag just yet.
    Agree to disagree.Her spins are unique.Period.Also, the tech controller put some of her spins at level 3 - so she can improve them too))

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by koatcue View Post
    Agree to disagree.Her spins are unique.Period.Also, the tech controller put some of her spins at level 3 - so she can improve them too))
    Yep, I suppose so. Julia definitely has unique positions. Ashley does more conventional positions, but they are fast and centered, and that matters in +GOE as well.

Quote Originally Posted by koatcue View Post
    very true, its Julia's spins that are her trademark not even Ashley can match that

Custom Title
    LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT

1. Julia LIPNITSKAYA (RUS) - 63.55
    2. Ashley WAGNER (USA) - 63.09 Short Program (British Eurosport Commentary)
    3. Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (RUS) - 58.26
    4. Mae Berenice MEITE (FRA) - 54.83
    5. Polina KOROBEYNIKOVA (RUS) - 54.50
    6. Elena GLEBOVA (EST) - 52.61
    7. Christina GAO (USA) - 52.55
    8. Lena MARROCCO (FRA) - 48.86
    9. Joshi HELGESSON (SWE) - 45.19
    10. Jenna MCCORKELL (GBR) - 43.15
    Last edited by Mao88; 11-16-2012 at 03:18 PM.

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    The only thing that really bucks me: Liza's PCS lower than Julia's?!
    Damn it, why didn't I go to TEB - I could have thrown old tomatos at those blind jugdes for underscoring Liza again! She's such a musicial skater, so much expression. Kind of reminds me of Akiko always being underscored - maybe most of the jugdes don't have any feel for music themselves

Ashley did great, but I'm disappointed she didn't try the 3-3. You have to do those combos to get them clean - when is she going to do them? Nationals or worlds are rather bad ideas, so only GPF and 4CC left. And both are still way more important than TEB. She didn't have much to lose, this field isn't that deep, and even a 4th place should be enough for her. Plus, if she'd messed up the SP, she could have climbed up places with a great LP easily. And if any lady currently has the strength to fight back in her LP, it's Ashley. It's great she went clean, but it looks like a missed opportunity for me.

Julias skate is very impressive given her injury! I agree with her being 1st here, though I'm far from being a fan. Hopefully she'll stay 'problem-free' tomorrow too.

Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    Damn it, why didn't I go to TEB - I could have thrown old tomatos at those blind jugdes for underscoring Liza again! She's such a musicial skater, so much expression. Kind of reminds me of Akiko always being underscored - maybe most of the jugdes don't have any feel for music themselves
    this will be Liza biggest challenge going up to the Olympics Season
    her PCS is now lower than Alena, Julia, Adelina and Polina K. which is just wrong and ridiculous

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post

Ashley did great, but I'm disappointed she didn't try the 3-3. You have to do those combos to get them clean - when is she going to do them? Nationals or worlds are rather bad ideas, so only GPF and 4CC left. And both are still way more important than TEB. She didn't have much to lose, this field isn't that deep, and even a 4th place should be enough for her. Plus, if she'd messed up the SP, she could have climbed up places with a great LP easily. And if any lady currently has the strength to fight back in her LP, it's Ashley. It's great she went clean, but it looks like a missed opportunity for me.

Julias skate is very impressive given her injury! I agree with her being 1st here, though I'm far from being a fan. Hopefully she'll stay 'problem-free' tomorrow too.
    I think, as I pointed out earlier, that it is VERY important for Ashley, psychologically, to have a momentum of clean short programs. They have been her nemesis for years and even cost her a medal at Worlds last year. Yes, technically she could have faltered here and get into GPF pretty easily given the competition. But I think for her, it's more important for her to have full control of her programs. Her programs, her FS in particular, tend to have more elements added to it as we get later in the season. So it makes sense to me that she would focus first on having firm control of her programs and skate them clean and then add the 3-3 later when she's more comfortable with them.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast