Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: 2012 TEB Ladies Short Program SP

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    Good for Julia to have persevered over her injury. But as far as having "nerves of steel and heart of a lion," she's 14 years old and it's easier to feel no pain and not worry so much about stuff at that age. She really has not much to lose at this stage of her career, and a great deal of experience to gain, so that makes it a bit easier to just go out and skate with no fear, IMO. Skating in general gets tougher as you get older, your body goes through changes, and the pressure builds.
    I've seen Julia's skate now. To me, she is a basically a junior skater with a pretty good 3-3 and a lot of flexibility. Her jumps are very small. Gracie Gold's 3-3 is much more impressive, not to mention Yu Na's.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    very true, its Julia's spins that are her trademark not even Ashley can match that
    Enjoy them until they last. In a few years those spins will be gone, once she ebecames a true "lady". Now she is a only a child.
    Last edited by herios; 11-17-2012 at 01:38 AM.

Like I said, ISU judges love to over-reward technically precocious, flexible youngsters. I disagree with a lot of the way the sport is judged today, so no biggy. I think Ashley should be slightly ahead, that's all. And we'll see what happens in the fp. That's figure skating.

Once again, Lip has the advantage anyway in that at her age, she really has nothing to lose at this point. I don't like her costume, choreography or music that much. We don't really see anything that truly defines who Julia is -- it's just a point-getting display of athletic and showy contortionist moves. Those who enjoy that kind of skating, continue to enjoy. Personally, I'm more interested in seeing how Julia will have developed over the next three years, if she's still skating.
    Then if you are dissatisfied, I suggest you try becoming a judge and then you can put the scores that you want. Case closed.

Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    Enjoy them until they last. In a few years those spins will be gone, once she ebcames a true "lady". Now she is a only a child.
    Such comments are very interesting: "she will lose all that flexibility and spins when she becomes a lady". WHAT? Whoever says that, have you never seen really flexible people in their twenties and thirties? Who says she will lose them? Jumps, yes, but flexibility no.

Example, Kanaeva who was olympic rhythmic gymnastis champion in 2008 was 18 and was quite petite.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys6je5-JxU0

In 2012, she won the olympics with a greater build as she became more curvy. Same flexibility, two-time olympic champion.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpySa3pwnV0

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DianaSelene View Post
    Then if you are dissatisfied, I suggest you try becoming a judge and then you can put the scores that you want. Case closed.
    There was never a "case open." This is just a skating message board, not an inquisition or a court of law.

Fans (me included) will always have a beef or two or three with ISU judges and CoP, as long as the world turns.

Miserere Nobis
    Both Julia and Ashley looked great, IMO. I thought that Ashley should have received the higher score, though, mainly due to her interpretation of the piece--very eerie and spot-on.

There was never a "case open." This is just a skating message board, not an inquisition or a court of law.

Fans (me included) will always have a beef or two or three with ISU judges and CoP, as long as the world turns.
    You seem to have a beef with most of the ISU judges, though, since most of them scored Julia pretty highly.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    Well exactly. If Julia makes the same mistakes in her FS as she did at COC - she will probably lose, as both Ashley and Liza skating clean would probably overtake her. However, if Julia skates clean, she will win.
    Ashley's TES was 63 at Skate America. If Ashley delivers a similar performance, Julia will have to get a TES score near 70 to beat her, as Ashley's PCS score will be at least a couple of points higher. So, not only does Julia need to deliver a clean performance to win, she needs Ashley to make mistakes as well. Julia is far from unbeatable. She couldn't even beat a well past-her-prime Mao Asada, who can barely rotate a clean triple these days, at COC. I think Mao only rotated three triples in her free skate, yet still beat Julia.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    i've seen julia's skate now. To me, she is a basically a junior skater with a pretty good 3-3 and a lot of flexibility. Her jumps are very small. Gracie gold's 3-3 is much more impressive, not to mention yu na's.
    ita!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    I've seen Julia's skate now. To me, she is a basically a junior skater with a pretty good 3-3 and a lot of flexibility. Her jumps are very small. Gracie Gold's 3-3 is much more impressive, not to mention Yu Na's.
    Julia's jumps are not small. You have simply picked that idea up from other posters. Her jumps may look small, but that is only because she herself is physically small. Relative and proportionate to her own height, her jumps are completely normal in height. As she grows, so therefore will the height of her jumps. In that, she reminds me of Tara Lipinski. And we all know what Lipinski went on to achieve.

The other myth that is being put about is that she has a poor 2A. Nonsense. Again, it reminds me of Tara Lipinski's. Whilst it is not her best jump, as with Lipinski it is not going to cause her any problems as there will never be any need for her to upgrade it to a 3A
    Last edited by Mao88; 11-16-2012 at 10:19 PM.

Custom Title
    I agree with the 1st and 2nd, it is sport, you can't win with 3+2, if Julia is clean and Ashley doesn't gor for 3+3, she'll beat her on TES and that will be right. It's sport!

Great job Polina,
    I'm not enjoying this year's Liza, she's gained weight and her skating looks hard... You get the impression that she is goiung to faint...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    Julia's jumps are not small. You have simply picked that idea up from other posters. Her jumps may look small, but that is only because she is physically small. Relative to her own height, her jumps are completely normal in height.
    Wow, another 10 out of 10, for effort.

Custom Title
    Wow, another 10 out of 10, for effort.
    Likewise

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DianaSelene View Post
    You seem to have a beef with most of the ISU judges, though, since most of them scored Julia pretty highly.
    If someone were to ask "Where's the beef?" -- I think they would find you chewing on it!

Custom Title
    If someone were to ask "Where's the beef?" -- I think they would find you chewing on it!
    Only after you had finished with it yourself - and then there wouldn't be much left

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast