Thread: NHK has a free spot-can they use it?

Hybrid View

NHK has a free spot-can they use it?

I was wondering with AC's withdrawal from NHK, can they ask another lady? Or is 8 days out too late to expect someone to throw their bag together and fly around the world to Japan? Do we as Americans have a better shot at that spot, or are we already at the max with 2 skaters going for ladies? Thanks...I have no idea how this works or doesn't. I hope someone can use that spot and like a lot of folks I wish it was katelynn osmond. Is it mostly world rankink that might get one a spot? Thanks for explanation, folks.

Custom Title
    Someone posted a quote from Skate Canada in the Kaetlyn Osmond thread saying SC made a request on behalf of Osmond, but it was too late for NHK to put her in.

Custom Title
    The ISU rules state that the host country does not have to fill a vacancy that occurs 7 days before the day of the Team Leaders meeting (that is, the day before the start of the event). For NHK, the team leaders meeting is on November 22nd. Czisny announced her withdrawal on November 14 in the US. If the announcement was made after 10 AM EST, that would have been November 15th in Japan---7 days before the team leaders meeting.

The JSF declined to fill the vacancy, as is their right.
    Last edited by chuckm; 11-15-2012 at 11:32 PM.

Custom Title
    It's not too late - this is all politics for host federations and they need to go back 12 or more or start another gp.

It si too bad JSF declined it, but I suppose onme less lady (like Osmond) makes it easier for their ladies...would this be the reasoning? There are so many ladies who would kill to have been invited. NHK is always exciting.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    It's not too late - this is all politics for host federations and they need to go back 12 or more or start another gp.
    To their credit, they invited Mirai and didn't have to. Really the blame lies with Alyssa here (if anyone should be blamed).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    The ISU rules state that the host country does not have to fill a vacancy that occurs 7 days before the day of the Team Leaders meeting (that is, the day before the start of the event). For NHK, the team leaders meeting is on November 22nd. Czisny announced her withdrawal on November 14 in the US. If the announcement was made after 10 AM EST, that would have been November 15th in Japan---7 days before the team leaders meeting.

The JSF declined to fill the vacancy, as is their right.
    No Chuck, for ISU purposes re: deadlines, time is not based on local time but CET in Switzerland, where the ISU is headquartered, which is merely 6 hours ahead of EST. Plus, the time difference between JST and EST is now 14 hours in the winter. So technically, the announcement would have been just about midnight on November 15 in Japan. You'd think these announcements aren't exactly news to these federations so it is highly doubtful that JSF really only knew about Czisny's withdraw in the morning of Nov. 15.

The real issue here is not operational but rather political, if I may say it plainly.

Clearly, JSF doesn't want Osmond in NHK for fear she could take away a GPF spot from a Japanese competitor. By Japanese standards, such act is considered cowardice but then, JSF is not known for their honor. Normally, people show some deference when Skate Canada makes requests because it's a good idea to be on SC's good side. In this case, it shows the intensity of the rapidly approaching 2014 Olympics and federations are angling every possible way to give their competitors an edge, even if an unjust one. But on the other hand, I don't think SC is pushing for this as much as some others might think, that's just my perception and I agree with that.

For me, I don't think Osmond missing the chance to qualify for the GPF is a big deal - it may be a blessing in disguise. Seeing how Virtue/Moir missed the 2006 Olympics by a hair, we now know it turned out to be a good idea. I hope Osmond can take time to grow in a healthy pace and not lose sight of her goals, which is to win Canadian Nationals, go to world and finish in the top 10 while maintaining a score above 170+. I also like to see her making adjustment to her program content to be more senior-like and have a complete repertoire of triple jumps up to the Lutz. Those are what really matters, not some wild goose chase of an illusive GPF. To do all that, she will need time to train and adjust and not having to deal with GPF will actually help her preparing for January and beyond.
    Last edited by wallylutz; 11-16-2012 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Normally, people show some deference when Skate Canada makes requests because it's a good idea to be on SC's good side.
    Can you elaborate on this thought a little? Why is it a good idea to be on SC's good side. particularly?

Custom Title
    Sounds like SC is a bully to be feared. Shaking in my BOOTS!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post

Clearly, JSF doesn't want Osmond in NHK for fear she could take away a GPF spot from a Japanese competitor.
    Is that a fact, or your opinion?

Custom Title
    Seriously, I don't think the JSF is afraid of Osmond. It's more like a consideration for Russia (GPF host). Unlike real politics, Japan has long time friendly relationships with Russia in skating world. NHK trophy was originally started as a Japan-Soviet friendship event. Under the current conditions, inviting Osmond could hurt Russian skaters' chances for GPF in Sochi. They also know that the US is not welcoming Osmond. There's no need to displease other (powerful) federations by doing "unnecessary" things.

As an international relations student, it makes perfect sense. Actors do what they must to maximize their utility. I doubt it was AC, but USFS that decided to wait to anounce. In doing this and by making sure that JSF does not need to replace, they can increase the chance that Gao/Wagner need less points at TEB to make the GPF. In addition, as stated, it is completely logical that JSF would want to have their skaters who have a chance to qualify in front of a home crowd, Asada and Suzuki, have as big of a chance of doing so as possible. Finally, I am sure that while it has not been clear to the public, skating feds around the world have noticed that an up-and-comer won her GP debut over the likes of Suzuki and Murakami with quite a lot of PCS which some have argued was clearly inflated. Whether they have the proof to say this or whether or not they are concerned about having SC on their side, they may just want to avoid confronting that and instead use political maneuvers to ensure their skaters have the best possible chance at the GPF and that Osmond is out.

Quote Originally Posted by chloepoco View Post
    Is that a fact, or your opinion?
    All of Wallylutz's opinions are facts. And Skate Canada is always right, all must jump to do their bidding or else.