NHK has a free spot-can they use it? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

NHK has a free spot-can they use it?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I doubt Osmond would have been much of a draw in Japan. This is her first season in the senior ranks, she was 10th at 2012 JW, and her GP gold was on home ice.

I'm not sure Kaetlyn would have skated that well at NHK anyway, given the short notice and serious jet lag.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I imagine there is sufficient interest in the NHK Trophy in Japan even without Kaetlyn Osmond.

Actually, I heard from some nice Japanese fans at Skate America who pointed out that it was actually easier to buy plane tickets across the Pacific Ocean to go to Skate America then to get a ticket to NHK Trophy or other events close to home.

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I seriously think NOT GOING is the best thing for Osmond. We have almost three threads on this very topic, so I understand that people are passionate about giving her every opportunity. I think she should stick to her plan, and SC shouldn't have tried to get her another assignment. 1. It looks like they're trying to get the rules bent in their favor. 2. she and her coach have a plan, and NHK wasn't part of it to begin with. Skate Canada should be focused on trying to keep her in a bubble, away from the pressure until nationals. They need to keep their best interests in mind, which is to have a competitive Osmond by Worlds, so she can earn the two spots for Canada.

Also, there have been times in the past, where the favorite for the Canadian champion skated in the Grand Prix final, only to lose the one spot to worlds at home (Josee Chouinard in 1996, losing to Nellie Kim).

I think NHK should try to host the best competition possible. Which is a better show, the nine ladies that they have scheduled, or those nine plus Osmond?

(Kaetlyn can decline, of course, if she feels that it is not in her best interest to make the trip.)

Scrufflet

Final Flight
I just wish they would fill the spot with somebody! I don't care who it is but give someone a chance! I'm thrilled to have a Canadian lady to root for but her time will come. Some of our ladies have been rushed before they were ready (Tracy Wainman).

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Also, there have been times in the past, where the favorite for the Canadian champion skated in the Grand Prix final, only to lose the one spot to worlds at home (Josee Chouinard in 1996, losing to Nellie Kim).
The great gymnast was skating at Canadian Nationals? :biggrin:

I guess you meant Netty Kim in 1995, but Chouinard did not compete at all that season. Was she injured? She did finish second behind Jennifer Robinson in 1996; it must have hurt, with Worlds being in Canada that season.

I do agree that a short-notice trip to Japan might not have been the best thing for Osmond, however.

ForeverFish

Medalist
At this stage, Osmond is not ready to compete seriously with the big guns. If she does go to GPF and finished dead last, that would just stop her momentum and the buzz. Rather, not showing up yet still being talked about really isn't a bad thing for now. What she needs is training and a clear focus on her goals in order to properly manage the fans and her own expectations. Her time will come.

Looking at the state of the GPF roster right now, that isn't too shabby of a prediction. Wagner, Lipnitskaia, Korpi, Tuk (who bounced back), and (probably) Asada and Suzuki would all skate circles around Osmond.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Osmond can keep up-she is a confident, musical skater. She moves like someone who was an ice dancer, yet she can jump. Watch her 2012 CN SP. This girl has it all-I hope she can keep it. To beat Suzuki, an all aroung great, mature skater is something. I'm happy to see Gracie Gold and Osmond. May they have way more ups than downs.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Its passed the 7 days deadline, so right now chances of any replacement for Czisny is impossible