Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: NHK has a free spot-can they use it?

Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post

The real issue here is not operational but rather political, if I may say it plainly.

Clearly, JSF doesn't want Osmond in NHK for fear she could take away a GPF spot from a Japanese competitor. By Japanese standards, such act is considered cowardice but then, JSF is not known for their honor. Normally, people show some deference when Skate Canada makes requests because it's a good idea to be on SC's good side.
    Are these two different ideas or two ideas that are connected? Because honestly, I'm having trouble determining whether the second sentence is only connected to the first or if they are all grouped together. Because by not kowtowing to SC, wouldn't that not be cowardice?

Quote Originally Posted by pista04 View Post
    As an international relations student, it makes perfect sense. Actors do what they must to maximize their utility. I doubt it was AC, but USFS that decided to wait to anounce. In doing this and by making sure that JSF does not need to replace, they can increase the chance that Gao/Wagner need less points at TEB to make the GPF. In addition, as stated, it is completely logical that JSF would want to have their skaters who have a chance to qualify in front of a home crowd, Asada and Suzuki, have as big of a chance of doing so as possible. Finally, I am sure that while it has not been clear to the public, skating feds around the world have noticed that an up-and-comer won her GP debut over the likes of Suzuki and Murakami with quite a lot of PCS which some have argued was clearly inflated. Whether they have the proof to say this or whether or not they are concerned about having SC on their side, they may just want to avoid confronting that and instead use political maneuvers to ensure their skaters have the best possible chance at the GPF and that Osmond is out.
    I like how well thought-out your post is. I honestly would have never thought of having other federations come into play. But as this does happen in the world every day in the world today, it makes sense that this would happen on a smaller scale as well.

Custom Title
    Everyone has their own agenda, bias. Japan wants its ladies in the GPF. Osmond wants a chance to go to the GPF.Czisny wanted to skate and thus waited and waited - deep down she knew she wasn't ready probably (yes, we aren't mind readers but reality and dreams and desire cause all sorts of confusion.

NHK should invite Osmond. Stir up some interest in the event.

Osmond is not going to knock either of the Japanese ladies, Asada or Suzuki, out of the GP final, nor the only Russian lady in contention, Lipnitsaya, or the top American, Wagner. Those four, together with Korpi, are pretty much set no matter what happens in NHK (barring a disaster by Asada or Suzuki).

I suppose Osmond could win the sixth spot ahead of Gao or Tukh or Zawadski. Still..let them skate for it.

Custom Title
    Perhaps the Russian Federation should have pushed for Osmond too to assist SC as SC had given Shelepen a spot at SCI

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    NHK should invite Osmond. Stir up some interest in the event.
    I imagine there is sufficient interest in the NHK Trophy in Japan even without Kaetlyn Osmond.

Custom Title
    I doubt Osmond would have been much of a draw in Japan. This is her first season in the senior ranks, she was 10th at 2012 JW, and her GP gold was on home ice.

I'm not sure Kaetlyn would have skated that well at NHK anyway, given the short notice and serious jet lag.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I imagine there is sufficient interest in the NHK Trophy in Japan even without Kaetlyn Osmond.
    OK, but don't blame me if no-one comes.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I'm not sure Kaetlyn would have skated that well at NHK anyway,...
    That's why they hold competitions. She only needs third -- maybe fourth.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Actually, I heard from some nice Japanese fans at Skate America who pointed out that it was actually easier to buy plane tickets across the Pacific Ocean to go to Skate America then to get a ticket to NHK Trophy or other events close to home.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 11-16-2012 at 05:06 PM.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    I seriously think NOT GOING is the best thing for Osmond. We have almost three threads on this very topic, so I understand that people are passionate about giving her every opportunity. I think she should stick to her plan, and SC shouldn't have tried to get her another assignment. 1. It looks like they're trying to get the rules bent in their favor. 2. she and her coach have a plan, and NHK wasn't part of it to begin with. Skate Canada should be focused on trying to keep her in a bubble, away from the pressure until nationals. They need to keep their best interests in mind, which is to have a competitive Osmond by Worlds, so she can earn the two spots for Canada.

Also, there have been times in the past, where the favorite for the Canadian champion skated in the Grand Prix final, only to lose the one spot to worlds at home (Josee Chouinard in 1996, losing to Nellie Kim).

I think NHK should try to host the best competition possible. Which is a better show, the nine ladies that they have scheduled, or those nine plus Osmond?

(Kaetlyn can decline, of course, if she feels that it is not in her best interest to make the trip.)

Custom Title
    I just wish they would fill the spot with somebody! I don't care who it is but give someone a chance! I'm thrilled to have a Canadian lady to root for but her time will come. Some of our ladies have been rushed before they were ready (Tracy Wainman).

Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    Also, there have been times in the past, where the favorite for the Canadian champion skated in the Grand Prix final, only to lose the one spot to worlds at home (Josee Chouinard in 1996, losing to Nellie Kim).
    The great gymnast was skating at Canadian Nationals?

I guess you meant Netty Kim in 1995, but Chouinard did not compete at all that season. Was she injured? She did finish second behind Jennifer Robinson in 1996; it must have hurt, with Worlds being in Canada that season.

I do agree that a short-notice trip to Japan might not have been the best thing for Osmond, however.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    At this stage, Osmond is not ready to compete seriously with the big guns. If she does go to GPF and finished dead last, that would just stop her momentum and the buzz. Rather, not showing up yet still being talked about really isn't a bad thing for now. What she needs is training and a clear focus on her goals in order to properly manage the fans and her own expectations. Her time will come.
    Looking at the state of the GPF roster right now, that isn't too shabby of a prediction. Wagner, Lipnitskaia, Korpi, Tuk (who bounced back), and (probably) Asada and Suzuki would all skate circles around Osmond.

Osmond can keep up-she is a confident, musical skater. She moves like someone who was an ice dancer, yet she can jump. Watch her 2012 CN SP. This girl has it all-I hope she can keep it. To beat Suzuki, an all aroung great, mature skater is something. I'm happy to see Gracie Gold and Osmond. May they have way more ups than downs.

Banned
    Its passed the 7 days deadline, so right now chances of any replacement for Czisny is impossible

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2