bsfan

On the Ice
B&S 1999 GPF
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq-D1w7GcIQ
Hand down on the throw triple loop
Trip going into the death spiral
Crashy triple twist
fall on the double axel.

1999 Skate America was worse. There's no video, but I remember there was more than one fall.

Thanks for reminding. But I don't need to watch the linked video. They did great in 1999 world shortly after. They had hard time when they trained in US and Elena's body changed to more curvy type. While they were out from world 2000, do you remember who got the gold? Which 2 pairs made multiple costly errors one after the other?

As B/S went though the hard period, their programs were beautiful and precise.

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Let one silly poster reply to some insulting poster
B&S technically weaker than K&S? :laugh:
True, Berezhnaya isn't as flexible as Kavaguti. Still, does technique all come down to flexibility and tricks?
K/S have a few technical tricks that are better than B/S. Not basic skating skills, not the connection, not the intangible stuff. I never said all technique come down to flex and tricks. I said earlier that B/S have the best skating skills for pairs.

Let me remind you how K&S skated this for you.
You don't have to remind me, I know they skated terribly in the LP.

What I really liked in this program were the transitions and the choreography. The "weaknesses of B&S" that you pointed out won't change my mind. I still think this program would look a lot better if performed by Tamara's past students. You can adapt the lifts to make up for Berezhnaya's so-called lack of flexibility but you won't make K&S crossovers as good as B&S. Then, I agree that B&S are not CoP skaters, but the program would be more beautiful to watch. Didn't say it would earn more points!
You never know how Moskvina's past #1 would skate. This LP has so much more transitions and choreography than past programs. They might not be able to perform this piece to its potential. They aren't used to adding so much more transitions between elements. And judging from all kind of mistakes they had with simpler programs, I don't think it's possible.

And yet, despite hating the music and not loving the pair, I loved the program. That's how great Moskvina is.
I agree, Moskvina is a genius. It's just sad that she tried so hard to push K/S to the top, and they just couldn't do it. The effort she put into this pair is incredible. The return isn't much.

yqs100

On the Ice
Talking about athelicism, what I particularly like about D&R is that they are pushing the enveloppe, going for sbs 3 ltz, sbs 3 sal and throw 3 lutz (preceded by a transition) in the same program.

Back to the Chinese, even if Cheng does catch up with Hao in one or two seasons, he'll be thirty so I don't think it is that wise to pair them up now.

That's true the Canadians are pushing themselves technically,, no one ignored their effort..of cuz difficult programs need to focus more on technics

As said, there could be lots different possibilities...if hao wants . I have no doubt he can skate to 2018.. And maybe by then he retires . Cheng will team up with other skater....it's so common now to change partner, isn't it?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Then, have a look at this masterpiece, especially at 4'08 the wonderful spiral entrance into the throw 3 loop with great flow in and out of the jump.

Did K&S ever skate a clean LP? Can't tell because I haven't watched skating much lately but would surely love to see one clean LP from them.

I think the closest they've come was at Euros 2010, where she just had the triple toe error (and the odd part in the middle where she seemed to forget what she was doing) and Euros 2011

It was B/S's incredible throw jumps in 97/98 that made me a fan of pair skating and B/S as a pair. I may not remember all the details. But during big events, B/S usually didn't make big errors. And compared to today's pairs, their mistakes were not that ugly-looking IMHO.

bsfan

On the Ice
Berezhnaya is natually very flexible and bent with graceful lines and controls. She has beautiful turn out that their spread eagle is so perfect. She didn't use the flexibility everywhere, only when needed.