2012 TEB Men's Long Programs LP | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2012 TEB Men's Long Programs LP

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
You're forgetting that Abbott only earned 7 points at Skate America.

Mura = 3 + 15 = 18
Abbott = 13 + 13 = 26
Amodio = 9 + 11 = 20

If Fernandez, Hanyu and Takahashi are the medalists next week, and Fernandez wins, one of Takahashi or Hanyu won't make the GPF (13 + 11 = 24), and Abbott makes the GPF. If Takahashi and Hanyu go 1-2, and Fernandez wins bronze, Abbott doesn't make the GPF.

herios

Medalist
And what will happen when he later will need the quad?

The way he skates...he won't need it, because he will not be there, at the finish line with the best. Beside the quad, you need 7-8 triples and 3 clean combos, he has not come anywhere close to that number. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan, but very mad at him. He is wasting a huge potential, for many years by now.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I feel like some of the judges dislike him? He could have been better scored here.

Joubert skated to a 6.0 programme in a CoP competition... I would say he was overscored, especially in PCS.

Levels, GOEs, UR calls. For all that people complain re PCS, there's a lot of dodgy stuff that can be done on the tech side, by the judges and the tech panel. I believe Joe Inman is the tech caller for the men's event, FWIW.

Hmm, I did not notice that Joubert was doing technically something better than he got the credit for. The judging was very fair technically, in my opinion. In PCS the judges were not fair, giving some skaters a lot more PCS than they deserved. Nan Song was definetely robbed!!!

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Who would have predicted Mura winning?
ME! :p

I mean I predicted that he will win at TEB and I turned out to be right, as always :biggrin:. On September 28th Takahito twittered a pic with Air France airplanes and a comment that his GP is in France. In the replies you can see my tweet from Sep 28 "You'll win there." So, at least one person knew the result in advance:) : https://twitter.com/takahito3211/status/251694348574547968

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
I would also like to point out that it was four years ago that Buttle won gold at Worlds with a quad-less free skate. He earned around 84 points in TCS for his performance.

Since then, the effect of GOEs have lessened but the judges are now far more willing to award +1s and +2s for an element, as well as award 8s in program components. This is something Jeremy and his coaching team should consider.

Performing triple-triples and being awarded high levels for footwork and spins is still more important than attempting an inconsistently rotated quad.

LRK

Record Breaker
That's the thing. I don't think he needs it. In this system, it's far better to execute the elements you know well but keep your base value high with strong combinations with triple toes.

I agree that he needs a quad to podium at Worlds, but not every competition is Worlds. I would rather see him build his reputation as a consistent jumper on the triples and triple axels, than risk it with a quad that he has trouble fully rotating.

In this system, I would only recommend the quad if a skater can be sure to get credit for all four revolutions, because a fall on the element still earns around 6 points overall. But once a skater underrotates the element, it destroys its worth. In this case, he'll probably earn about two points for the attempted quad. If he did a 3F+3T instead, which can he do with little effort, he would have gotten closer to 9 points, plus positive GOEs.

Hmmm... what competitions remain? Nationals, 4CC, Worlds' I think?

So you think no quad will pass muster at Nationals?

4CC then?

glam

On the Ice
Joubert skated to a 6.0 programme in a CoP competition... I would say he was overscored, especially in PCS.

No he didn't. If Amodio's seven stop's posing choreo is what judges want, then he should add more poses then...

Art&Sport

Medalist
The way he skates...he won't need it, because he will not be there, at the finish line with the best. Beside the quad, you need 7-8 triples and 3 clean combos, he has not come anywhere close to that number. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan, but very mad at him. He is wasting a huge potential, for many years by now.

I'm a Jeremy fan too, but only sad for him, not mad. As you can see from my previous post, it's fairly upsetting to see someone as uber-talented as Jeremy unable to break through consistently due to nerves mainly, and now apparently coupled with physical problems (age becoming a factor as well). There's no point in being mad at him though. Things are what they are, and we can only hope for better. If it never happens for him the way we think it should, then that's the way it goes.

But, of course, it doesn't seem to make any logical sense in the universe that skaters like Mura, Machida, Oda and Menshov are such more confident and talented jumpers but possess none of Jeremy's magical artistic gifts. Why can't Jeremy combine technical confidence and precision with his naturally superb artistry??? Such a conundrum -- I'm gob-smacked. :confused2:

ETA:
Actually, I can't help but kinda partly blame TPTB insistence and obsessiveness with quad, as well as CoP's dumbing down the importance of artistry in fs.

Last edited:

bixby

Final Flight

I know. Had he at least completed the last triple he might have enough to win. Doubles are for novice... what's wrong with him. Such a head case!!!

Art&Sport

Medalist
I know. Had he at least completed the last triple he might have enough to win. Doubles are for novice... what's wrong with him. Such a head case!!!

See my immediately preceding post. What's the point of being mad at Jeremy? IT is what it is. You might as well be more mad at the fact he's injured, and the fact he isn't getting any younger, and the fact that trying to perfect the quad actually takes a lot out of skaters to the point of harming their ability to perform clean programs and be consistent on all of their jumps.

herios

Medalist
I'm a Jeremy fan too, but only sad for him, not mad. As you can see from my previous post, it's fairly upsetting to see someone as uber-talented as Jeremy unable to break through consistently due to nerves mainly, and now apparently coupled with physical problems (age becoming a factor as well). There's no point in being mad at him though. Things are what they are, and we can only hope for better. If it never happens for him the way we think it should, then that's the way it goes.

But, of course, it doesn't seem to make any logical sense in the universe that skaters like Mura, Machida, Oda and Menshov are such more confident and talented jumpers but possess none of Jeremy's magical artistic gifts. Why can't Jeremy combine technical confidence and precision with his naturally superb artistry??? Such a conundrum -- I'm gob-smacked. :confused2:

Actually, I can't help but kinda partly blame the insistence and obsessiveness with quad, as well as CoP's dumbing down the importance of artistry in fs.

Age is a factor? Think about that Menshow is 29.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

Not everybody is the same. I think Jeremy does show that he's losing jumping abilities he had before. So in this case, I agree that he shouldn't focus on quad jumps any more.

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist

Well you zeroed in on "age is a factor," and looked at none of the other points I made. Menshov is a one-dimensional skater, who even though he can land the jumps, he never looks pretty doing it. Menshov looks like a "wannabe" even against Oda. Both Oda and Menshov have the jumps, but the difference is at the least Oda has great smoothness and ice coverage, even if Oda lacks top-notch presentation skills, whereas Menshov has nothing but the jumps. Give me a break -- Menshov without the jumps would roll into last place precisely, as the rest of his skills are sorely lacking. Forget about age -- he seems ageless as far as the jumps, but the jumps are his only asset. So what!

Last edited:

bixby

Final Flight
Jeremy seems to aged rather quickly by the look on his face. His body looks the same but his face has sagging fatness to it.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

ETA:
Actually, I can't help but kinda partly blame TPTB insistence and obsessiveness with quad, as well as CoP's dumbing down the importance of artistry in fs.

Look at their body types..I no wonder...

----------

And you don't forget, this is a sport, a competition.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
I do, actually. Especially at Nationals, where both Weir and Lysacek have had training and competition setbacks. It makes no sense to put in a quad if you can't even fully rotate triples, let alone not be able to rotate a quad consistently.

Jeremy just needs to get back to basics. Get those triple passes first, then work on the Lvl 3 or 4 spins, and then the quad.

He won the short program handedly at TEB without needing a quad, and he could have done it again in the free program at TEB too. With his prowess in PCS, a quad-less program with clean triples and triple-triple combinations can put him on the podium, while everyone else becomes a technical mess trying to put in a quad and not addressing the rest of their skating.

That's the problem with the quad nowadays. It has turned every program into a mistake-ridden mess where skaters neglect the rest of their skating for the sake of one jump element.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
...and no one is talking about the winner of TEB. Mura got ignored. :rolleye:

Never mind. :laugh:

Noooo! Mura was great! I won't ignore him! I will curse him for ruining my predictions ;) But I will express joy that he won!

ETA: Seriously, though. He was quite impressive. I looooved his jumps. He has such a pretty quad and 3A -- great height and flow out of the jump. It's been awesome to discover all these Japanese skaters that I haven't really looked at much in the past...

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist
...and no one is talking about the winner of TEB. Mura got ignored. :rolleye:

Never mind. :laugh:

Never mind is right!

Mura is okay and obviously not as bad as Menshov. I'm pretty sure that the sport would never go so far as to have Menshov actually winning gold in a field like this even. His PCS would have to keep him down, whereas they give Mura not so bad PCS. I think Mura as a young skater has way more opportunity to improve his presentation skills than Menshov will ever be capable of accomplishing.

Not everybody is the same. I think Jeremy does show that he's losing jumping abilities he had before. So in this case, I agree that he shouldn't focus on quad jumps any more.

I agree that not everybody is the same when it comes to aging and physical abilities. Look at Plushenko who just has a strong will that overcomes his physical decline. Not the same with Johnny, who has admitted as much. Your mind might be willing, but your body doesn't always go along. Same thing goes for dancers and athletes in other sports.