Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 TEB Men's Long Programs LP

Custom Title
    Buttercup, my oops! I'll make up for it with a massive PM.

skatinginbc, that's a fair comment to make (though frankly, the Japanese guy would be in the midst of whiteness wherever he was placed). I could've linked to "One Day More" to make my point (or indeed, "Bring Him Home") that the power of the music comes mainly from the voices.

Finally got time to watch the Men's LP. Loved Jeremy and Brian's programs! Not so much the others.
    Congrats to the medal winners!

Here is Brian's Gala Exhibition, very, very nice!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2tQrnz-NOU&feature=plcp

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    Finally got time to watch the Men's LP. Loved Jeremy and Brian's programs! Not so much the others.
    Congrats to the medal winners!

Here is Brian's Gala Exhibition, very, very nice!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2tQrnz-NOU&feature=plcp
    Thank you so much!

Custom Title
    I was surprised that my favorite program of this event is Joubert’s program. I did not like his programs at all last season, but I like his Inception program. I know it doesn’t have as many transitions as the programs of Patrick, Takahashi, Yuzru etc., but it’s still a COP program. I like the music and Joubert’s interpretation. I actually think it’s more enjoyable than Jeremy’s Bring Him Home LP, which is also a good program. I wish both Jeremy and Joubert will skate well next time.

Congratulations to Amodio and Mura. I don’t really like their programs, but they skated well here, and they have good basics.

Rinkside
    Finally watched Brian's Lp. I feel that he was trying to give more energy than he had. The whole time, I was thinking he needed rest.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Buttercup, my oops! I'll make up for it with a massive PM.
    This is an acceptable proposal

Quote Originally Posted by StereoLove View Post
    Finally watched Brian's Lp. I feel that he was trying to give more energy than he had. The whole time, I was thinking he needed rest.
    Yes, Joubert definitely looked pretty exhausted, and he knew that physically the LP would be tough - said so in the post-SP press conference, too. He'd only been back on the ice for three-four days before TEB, and had lost a fair bit of weight (and presumably, energy/stamina) while he was ill.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Actually I watched Joubert´s freeskate twice, once from live streaming and the second time from tv. It looks a 6.0 programme to me, with a very simple basic choreography which gave him possibilities to do his jumps . And I was not that much impressed by his footwork either.
    I only watched his LP live at Bercy and that'll be enough because Joubert isn't a skater I appreciate but the feeling I had is that it indeed looked like a programme for a 6.0 skater barely trying to meet the CoP standards. I don't care if this is a wrong impression, I just won't bother watching that performance again (yes, I'm a silly poster, as FlattFan dubbed me). Anyway, he's not the only one who's lacking transitions (and on a side note, I overall preferred the 6.0 programs to today's constant blade-grabbing and ugly positions rewarding).

Never been a fan of Joubert's footwork, either in the 6.0 era or now. But good for him if he still enjoys competing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I see you chose to address a specific point I made, but it kind of proves what I was saying yesterday: every program Joubert does or has done seems to elicit the same reaction from you; you repeat "he was overscored on PCS, he has 6.0 programs". This, regardless of the PCS he receives (it wasn't high yesterday by any means) and regardless of the program content. There are never any positives.
    Yes, it is true that I keep mentioning the above, but that is the exact impression I have gotten from his programmes. And in my opinion 6.79 for his "transitions" and 7.36 for choreography are still high.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Yes, it is true that I keep mentioning the above, but that is the exact impression I have gotten from his programmes. And in my opinion 6.79 for his "transitions" and 7.36 for choreography are still high.
    Then Hanyu, Takahashi and Amodio LP scores are also waaaaaaaaay too high (just the first three coming up to my mind).
    Takahashi has almost no transitions either this year, the same for Hanyu, he just run from one element to another (don't talk about interpretation because there's no).
    In fact, most of the men LP are overscored if Joubert's is (from what I've seen).
    But I overall agree with you, Joubert is overscored, although for me he's just not the worst of all this year and his scores are nowhere near what it used to be for even emptier programs. Just watch Amodio's LP and cry. I didn't know mohawks are transitions.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by machin View Post
    Then Hanyu, Takahashi and Amodio LP scores are also waaaaaaaaay too high (just the first three coming up to my mind).
    Takahashi has almost no transitions either this year, the same for Hanyu, he just run from one element to another (don't talk about interpretation because there's no).
    In fact, most of the men LP are overscored if Joubert's is (from what I've seen).
    But I overall agree with you, Joubert is overscored, although for me he's just not the worst of all this year and his scores are nowhere near what it used to be for even emptier programs. Just watch Amodio's LP and cry. I didn't know mohawks are transitions.
    Just wondering....have you actually watched Takahashi's and Hanyu's programs this year? Because saying that these two skaters have "almost no transitions" is so categorically false I don't even know where to start (particularly when it comes to Hanyu whose programs have a lot of content--Takahashi I think needs more in the first minute of his LP when he sets up for his quads).

Tripping on the Podium
    I watched them at Finlandia & SC (is it ? or SA) and JPO, that's the impression I had. Never wanted to get bored again by those two programs.
    I'm obviously talking outside elements. Choreo steps is not a transition.
    Takahashi LP is just a Morozov crap although he can save some bits thanks to his charisma (I've been convinced on this point by someone else, didn't want to admit it at first, compare to last year LP it's just dreadfull). Think again about the first minute because there's nothing but jumps. That's Morozov's way to make his pupils to land their contend.
    Hanyu just has a random background music for his elements. I don't remember a single move outside jumps, spins and steps sequences.
    Maybe I should rewatch them but I have better things to do. These skaters are so talented it's painfull to see what they have to come up with because of silly rules.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by machin View Post
    I watched them at Finlandia & SC (is it ? or SA) and JPO, that's the impression I had. Never wanted to get bored again by those two programs.
    I'm obviously talking outside elements. Choreo steps is not a transition.
    Takahashi LP is just a Morozov crap although he can save some bits thanks to his charisma (I've been convinced on this point by someone else, didn't want to admit it at first, compare to last year LP it's just dreadfull). Think again about the first minute because there's nothing but jumps. That's Morozov's way to make his pupils to land their contend.
    Hanyu just has a random background music for his elements. I don't remember a single move outside jumps, spins and steps sequences.
    Maybe I should rewatch them but I have better things to do. These skaters are so talented it's painfull to see what they have to come up with because of silly rules.
    Look--just to be clear here, I don't like either of Takahashi's or Hanyu's LPs this year (though I do like Hanyu's SP). But just because the choreography isn't great doesn't mean they have "almost no transitions". For example, for Hanyu--I don't even have to re-watch his programs, but off the top of my head, I can remember he has a lot of difficult transitions like a spread eagle into 4S, ina bauer into 3F, his trademark difficult 3A entry with that counter turn, etc. Those are definitely transitions, and just because you don't remember them doesn't mean they don't exist.

Custom Title
    I've always sort of liked Brian Joubert but I made a personal observation with this competition. I watched the uTube of his exhibition program to The Gladiator and it struck me. Brian's been skating to dark music like Inception and The Matrix, etc. I've never found his programs to be very musical or lyrical and I could never get into them. I appreciated his athleticism and Lord knows he's easy on the eyes, but ...... However, he really interpreted The Gladiator. He seemed into the music and everything just flowed. Dont' know if anyone would agree with me but I feel like his presentation and "oneness" with his program would be greatly enhanced with different music. What would he do to Les Miz or one of the more beautifully melodic classical pieces?

If Alexei Yagudin didn't skate it, then Brian doesn't know how to emote to it.

Nobody in elite skating has "no transitions", certainly not Dai and Hanyu. Not Joubert either. There are of course differences between skaters in the quantity and difficulty of transitions. I will remind people once again that TR is one of five components, and is not more important than the others in any way, shape or form. I get that's it's easier to quantify TR and it feels more objective, but I'm really tired of complaints about people's PCS because they have "no transitions". I did not see "performance of many transitions" listed as a bullet point for P&E, IN, SS, and, apparently contrary to popular belief, CH. Enough already.

Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    I've always sort of liked Brian Joubert but I made a personal observation with this competition. I watched the uTube of his exhibition program to The Gladiator and it struck me. Brian's been skating to dark music like Inception and The Matrix, etc. I've never found his programs to be very musical or lyrical and I could never get into them. I appreciated his athleticism and Lord knows he's easy on the eyes, but ...... However, he really interpreted The Gladiator. He seemed into the music and everything just flowed. Dont' know if anyone would agree with me but I feel like his presentation and "oneness" with his program would be greatly enhanced with different music. What would he do to Les Miz or one of the more beautifully melodic classical pieces?
    I agree with this in the sense that unlike some skaters who can learn to interpret a piece of music, Joubert is someone who can do so well only if he really gets and feels he can relate to it. With techno/electronic programs, it's obviously easy for him, but I actually think Inception is a good choice for him, too - you just have to make allowances for his physical condition this time. He was not at his best, and it affected how well he was able to skate the program. I hope that once he's had more time to recover from his illness, he will be able to do a better job. I agree that Gladiator is another good choice for him, and I feel he might also do well with some of the French rock opera stuff he favors in galas. But I think maybe the most obvious example of Joubert connecting with a piece of music to good result was Hallelujah, which surprised a lot of people when he skated to it at the 2009 Worlds EX.

Was that Yagudin's music too, Toni? Because the Yagudin comments are really getting old. In a 12-season senior career, how many times has Joubert skated to music previously used by Yagudin? The only such program I can recall is Ancient Lands, music that was used by Yagudin in his Olympic EX. I suspect that if anything, because Joubert so admires Yagudin he has been careful to avoid skating to anything Alexei used in competition.

(actually, Yags skated to Hallelujah on Bolero last year with his partner, well after Joubert used it)

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast