2012 TEB Men's Long Programs LP | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2012 TEB Men's Long Programs LP

missysays

On the Ice
Looking at the PCS though, the judges gave Jeremy the highest scores of the men's LP event by almost 5 points? That's saying something. If he could only up the technical ante. Is he injured still?

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Who would have predicted Mura winning?

He's the sixth Japanese man to medal this GP season, and the third to win gold.

Weird that neither Hanyu nor Takahashi have won an event yet. But there's always next week!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So here's the Japanese medal haul

Gold: Kozuka, Machida, Mura
Silver: Hanyu,Takahashi, Kozuka
Bronze: Machida and Oda

Japanese men are 8/10 for medals. Whew!

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Not surprised. That quad is really hurting Jeremy's chances. I haven't seen him land it cleanly in a while. I think that for the sake of his placements at these early competitions, he should consider performing triples and triple-triples that he knows he can do well. His component scores are high enough that he should perform well if he concentrates on his technical execution rather than his base value. My losing the quad and doing a triple-triple, he's getting the same difference in base value.

LRK

Record Breaker
Not surprised. That quad is really hurting Jeremy's chances. I haven't seen him land it cleanly in a while. I think that for the sake of his placements at these early competitions, he should consider performing triples and triple-triples that he knows he can do well. His component scores are high enough that he should perform well if he concentrates on his technical execution rather than his base value. My losing the quad and doing a triple-triple, he's getting the same difference in base value.

And what will happen when he later will need the quad?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Jeremy's LP is sleep inducing. Am surprised so many people think highly of it.

Amodio's scoring in both programs was a disgrace.

Well done to Song and Joubert for getting through their programs and get well soon to Hendrickx.

glam

On the Ice
(though still sad about Brian - still, he'll be back - he always is - would be easier for me as a fan, though, if there wasn't always something to be back from... but at least illness is something over which he himself had no control.)

I feel like some of the judges dislike him? He could have been better scored here.

bixby

Final Flight
Congrats to Mura! He earned it and deserve it... I don't like Jeremy's attitude/gesture/behavior/demeanor at any competition whether he wins or loses. He always come across as cocky to me. Cocky when he wins and even when he loses. He judges his performance too before the real judges in panel gives their score. Sucks!!!

Last edited:

herios

Medalist
Well that was better than Skate America....but I'm not sure if it's enough. He will get 80 on PCS probably, so he needs just under 70 in TES.

Only 63 TES. Very low, for such a skater. He was showing with his hands so and so. It was rather thumbs down, not so-so!

LRK

Record Breaker
I feel like some of the judges dislike him? He could have been better scored here.

Well, I'm utterly, completely, and unashamedly biassed, so... I do wish I could have heard what the BESP commentors would have said, though, they are unfashionable enough to actually like him. :)

Edited for - sigh - spelling...

Florian

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I have no idea how Amodio could finish ahead of Joubert overall. Nan Song was underscored too. A pity that Hendrickx had to withdraw. The 6th best Japanese is better than the best American. These Japanese are incredible this season.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Same thing here. Was it some "hot stadio" page that you can't close? I finally managed to get rid of it but forget how. I tried so many times. I think that I closed my browser and right click it again to pick a page I trust instead of click the firefox directly.

Ugh. It took me forever to get rid of a virus.Now I'm scuuuuuuuurred to click any link lol :no:

herios

Medalist

Cannot agree more. he leaves so many points on the table, with the rest of his jumps, beside the quad. He could land all his triples and with his PCS he could be sky high. But he is focusing on the wrong element IMO.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Protocals are up. http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpfra2012/gpfra2012_Men_FS_Scores.pdf

First of all, Jeremy needs to work on his spins -- he got a level 1 on one and a level 2 on the other. If he put those spins at level 3, he would have won the competition, me thinks.

Amodio: Also lost levels on spins as well; one level 1 spin, two level 2 spins. But had decent jumps. Edge call on the flip.
Mura: +GOE on everything except the 1F, which got an edge call. Judges looooved his jumps he got +1 overall on three different jumps including a nice 1.71 for the quad.
Abbott: Botched jumps and low spins lead to a really low BV --59. He's below everyone except Jinlin Guan and Tomas Verner. Yikes!
Song: Yay for finishing 4th! Another flip call (does everyone lip now?)
Joubert: UR on 4T, edge call on...you guessed it...the flips. Spin levels are low as well.

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Mura = 3 + 15 = 18
Abbott = 13 + 13 = 26
Amodio = 9 + 11 = 20

If Fernandez, Hanyu and Takahashi are the medalists next week, and Fernandez wins, one of Takahashi or Hanyu won't make the GPF (13 + 11 = 24), and Abbott makes the GPF. If Takahashi and Hanyu go 1-2, and Fernandez wins bronze, Abbott doesn't make the GPF.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I logged on late and couldn't get a good live streaming link (the one from the sp said BANNED!). Anyway, Jeremy was skating while I was trying to get a link, and even though the picture was dodgy and jerky, it seemed as if he wasn't cleanly landing all of his jumps. I wonder if his physical problems combined with his usual nerves are doing a number on him. Way too bad. He's such an exceptional all-around skater. It kind of hurts to see Jeremy being beaten by one-dimensional skaters like Mura, Menshov, Brezina, and Amodio (who granted is a cut above Menshov and Oda in some respects, but suffers choreographically under Morosov, IMO). Jeremy also seems to often be fairly easily beaten by well-rounded skaters at his comparative level, such as Kozuka, and even Oda, and the up-and-coming Machida when especially both Oda and Machida are not at Jeremy's level artistically.

Jeremy should be considered as one of the top flight skaters in the same breath as Chan, Dai, Hanyu and the coming-on gangbusters Fernandez. He isn't simply because he is so inconsistent technically which has to do mainly with nerves, and unfortunately this season with his added challenge of physical difficulties (back spasms and tight muscles).

ETA: Well, since I didn't get to see what happened really, maybe Jeremy didn't make as many mistakes as I'd imagined and perhaps because Amodio fared so poorly in the sp, Jeremy's marks are higher for that reason. But, in any case, with his talent Jeremy should have wiped this field. He's a much better skater than Mura. I don't think Jeremy should feel happy coming away with just the silver at this comp. But maybe he will feel good that he persevered as well as he did under the circumstances of his physical problems.

Last edited:

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
And what will happen when he later will need the quad?
That's the thing. I don't think he needs it. In this system, it's far better to execute the elements you know well but keep your base value high with strong combinations with triple toes.

I agree that he needs a quad to podium at Worlds, but not every competition is Worlds. I would rather see him build his reputation as a consistent jumper on the triples and triple axels, than risk it with a quad that he has trouble fully rotating.

In this system, I would only recommend the quad if a skater can be sure to get credit for all four revolutions, because a fall on the element still earns around 6 points overall. But once a skater underrotates the element, it destroys its worth. In this case, he'll probably earn about two points for the attempted quad. If he did a 3F+3T instead, which can he do with little effort, he would have gotten closer to 9 points, plus positive GOEs.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Mura = 3 + 15 = 18
Abbott = 13 + 13 = 26
Amodio = 9 + 11 = 20

If Fernandez, Hanyu and Takahashi are the medalists next week, and Fernandez wins, one of Takahashi or Hanyu won't make the GPF (13 + 11 = 24), and Abbott makes the GPF. If Takahashi and Hanyu go 1-2, and Fernandez wins bronze, Abbott doesn't make the GPF.

Um nope. Abbott has 7 points from SA. So 13+7 =20 .

In your scenario, Fernandez wins (30); Hanyu (26 or 24) and Takahashi (26 or 24) still all beat Jeremy. Something absolutely crazy would have to happen for Jeremy to make GPF me thinks.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Jeremy's tech is going down hill, I'm afraid.:scowl: I muted the sound while I was watching his skate because I needed to be quiet at where I was. It looked clear that way that besides his jumps and spins, Jeremy's some of the footworks were really insecure.

Last edited: