Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Families of skaters. Who skates or doesn't skate?

Families of skaters. Who skates or doesn't skate?

Anymore Hughes coming up in skating? Any children of famous skaters up and coming in the ranks?

Quote Originally Posted by Johar View Post
    Anymore Hughes coming up in skating? Any children of famous skaters up and coming in the ranks?
    Anthony Ponomanrenko, son of Marina Klimova and Sergei Pomarenko, just finished second at Pacific Coast Sectionals at the novice level in Ice Dance with his partner Sarah Fang. They will compete at U.S. Nationals. They have an adorable Cats FD.

Katia Shpilband, Igor's daugher, finished 4th at Midwestern sectional in junior ladies, which qualified her to U.S. Nationals.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure that Kristi Yamaguchi has tweeted once in a while about her young daughter's skating competitions. I don't know what level of competition, but it's something appropriate for the daughter's age -- I think she still is very young.

Isn't little Liza Kulik competing?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    Isn't little Liza Kulik competing?
    Yes I believe so; as I recall she is 11 and competed for/trained in Russia for a time; she's now evidently switched to the USA. She's coached by her parents.

You can see her here: http://www.kuliksskating.com/events/...pionships.html
    Last edited by tulosai; 11-17-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Yes I believe so; as I recall she is 11 and competed for/trained in Russia for a time; she's now evidently switched to the USA. She's coached by her parents.

You can see her here: http://www.kuliksskating.com/events/...pionships.html
    Thanks! Fun part about that is you can see Illa and Ekaterina at the beginning of the video.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Kristi Yamaguchi has tweeted once in a while about her young daughter's skating competitions. I don't know what level of competition, but it's something appropriate for the daughter's age -- I think she still is very young.
    Yes Kristi's younger daughter Emma skates.

Gabrielle, daughter of Isabelle Brasseur & Rocky Marval, is a pairs skater. She has competed @ the Liberty Summer Competition in Aston, PA with her pairs partner Kyle.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Thanks! Fun part about that is you can see Illa and Ekaterina at the beginning of the video.
    that's awesome thanks for sharing.

Annabelle Morozov skates competitively, she won juvenile girls at North Atlantic regionals and was fifth at sectionals. I think her father choreographs at least some of her programs.

Skaters' kids who don't skate:
    Navka and Zhulin's daughter is a tennis player.
    Daria Gronkova quit skating several years ago.
    Alexei Yagudin has said that he and Tatiana Totmianina do not want their daughter Liza to go into competitive skating.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Anthony Ponomanrenko, son of Marina Klimova and Sergei Pomarenko, just finished second at Pacific Coast Sectionals at the novice level in Ice Dance with his partner Sarah Fang. They will compete at U.S. Nationals. They have an adorable Cats FD.
    They're really good for their ages. Here's a clip from a competition last year: http://youtu.be/Q_iOJsrs-WA

Tripping on the Podium
    More known examples:

Scott Moir's brother Danny skated with his cousin (at some international junior competitions?) - This cousin and another Moir cousin became World Synchronized Champion.

Ksenia Makarova's parents were European Champions in Pairs Skating.

Andrei Bukin' son (Bestemianova/Bukin) Ivan skates at the Junior Grand Prix circuit with Alexandra Stepanova.

Nelli Zhiganshina's younger brother Ruslan skates with Victoria Sinitsina (even beat her at Cup of Russia).

(Viktoria and Joshi Helgesson)

The Gilles family (but only Piper left now?)

Michael Brezina's sister Eliska Brezinova skates now at the Junior Grand Prix.

Takahito Mura's dad Takashi competed at World level in singles and pairs - won a silver medal at the 1976 ISU Junior Figure Skating Championships.

Takahiko Kozuka's dad Tsuguhiko competed at the 1968 Olympics in singles.
    Last edited by figureskatingfan22; 11-18-2012 at 12:25 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    Peter Lieber's brother Martin competed/competes (?) internationally in singles and pairs. Their dad competed in singles for the GDR.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    Gabrielle, daughter of Isabelle Brasseur & Rocky Marval, is a pairs skater. She has competed @ the Liberty Summer Competition in Aston, PA with her pairs partner Kyle.
    Gabriella and Kyle also placed 1st at the 2012 U.S. Junior National Championships at the juvenile level.

Artur Dmitriev skates and was suppose to make his senior grand prix debut at the Cup of China, but had to withdraw due to an injury. Hopefully, he'll be able to compete at Russian nats in December.

I believe Evgenia Shishkova & Vadim Naumov's son skates as well, but he's still quite young. I think he's around 10 or 11.
    Last edited by lulu; 11-18-2012 at 04:03 PM.

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Her coach is Rudy Galindo....Kristi's former pairs partner!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast