Families of skaters. Who skates or doesn't skate? | Golden Skate

Families of skaters. Who skates or doesn't skate?

Johar

Medalist
Anymore Hughes coming up in skating? Any children of famous skaters up and coming in the ranks?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Anymore Hughes coming up in skating? Any children of famous skaters up and coming in the ranks?

Anthony Ponomanrenko, son of Marina Klimova and Sergei Pomarenko, just finished second at Pacific Coast Sectionals at the novice level in Ice Dance with his partner Sarah Fang. They will compete at U.S. Nationals. They have an adorable Cats FD.

Katia Shpilband, Igor's daugher, finished 4th at Midwestern sectional in junior ladies, which qualified her to U.S. Nationals.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure that Kristi Yamaguchi has tweeted once in a while about her young daughter's skating competitions. I don't know what level of competition, but it's something appropriate for the daughter's age -- I think she still is very young.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure that Kristi Yamaguchi has tweeted once in a while about her young daughter's skating competitions. I don't know what level of competition, but it's something appropriate for the daughter's age -- I think she still is very young.

Yes Kristi's younger daughter Emma skates.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gabrielle, daughter of Isabelle Brasseur & Rocky Marval, is a pairs skater. She has competed @ the Liberty Summer Competition in Aston, PA with her pairs partner Kyle.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Annabelle Morozov skates competitively, she won juvenile girls at North Atlantic regionals and was fifth at sectionals. I think her father choreographs at least some of her programs.

Skaters' kids who don't skate:
Navka and Zhulin's daughter is a tennis player.
Daria Gronkova quit skating several years ago.
Alexei Yagudin has said that he and Tatiana Totmianina do not want their daughter Liza to go into competitive skating.

lulu

Final Flight
Anthony Ponomanrenko, son of Marina Klimova and Sergei Pomarenko, just finished second at Pacific Coast Sectionals at the novice level in Ice Dance with his partner Sarah Fang. They will compete at U.S. Nationals. They have an adorable Cats FD.

They're really good for their ages. :) Here's a clip from a competition last year: http://youtu.be/Q_iOJsrs-WA

More known examples:

Scott Moir's brother Danny skated with his cousin (at some international junior competitions?) - This cousin and another Moir cousin became World Synchronized Champion.

Ksenia Makarova's parents were European Champions in Pairs Skating.

Andrei Bukin' son (Bestemianova/Bukin) Ivan skates at the Junior Grand Prix circuit with Alexandra Stepanova.

Nelli Zhiganshina's younger brother Ruslan skates with Victoria Sinitsina (even beat her at Cup of Russia).

(Viktoria and Joshi Helgesson)

The Gilles family (but only Piper left now?)

Michael Brezina's sister Eliska Brezinova skates now at the Junior Grand Prix.

Takahito Mura's dad Takashi competed at World level in singles and pairs - won a silver medal at the 1976 ISU Junior Figure Skating Championships.

Takahiko Kozuka's dad Tsuguhiko competed at the 1968 Olympics in singles.

Last edited:

lulu

Final Flight
Gabrielle, daughter of Isabelle Brasseur & Rocky Marval, is a pairs skater. She has competed @ the Liberty Summer Competition in Aston, PA with her pairs partner Kyle.

Gabriella and Kyle also placed 1st at the 2012 U.S. Junior National Championships at the juvenile level.

Artur Dmitriev skates and was suppose to make his senior grand prix debut at the Cup of China, but had to withdraw due to an injury. Hopefully, he'll be able to compete at Russian nats in December.

I believe Evgenia Shishkova & Vadim Naumov's son skates as well, but he's still quite young. I think he's around 10 or 11.

Last edited:

sillylionlove

Medalist

Her coach is Rudy Galindo....Kristi's former pairs partner!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Annabelle Morozov skates competitively, she won juvenile girls at North Atlantic regionals and was fifth at sectionals. I think her father choreographs at least some of her programs.

Skaters' kids who don't skate:
Navka and Zhulin's daughter is a tennis player.
Daria Gronkova quit skating several years ago.
Alexei Yagudin has said that he and Tatiana Totmianina do not want their daughter Liza to go into competitive skating.
Poor Annabelle :biggrin:

ice coverage

Record Breaker

No big deal and I could be wrong, but I interpreted the OP's intent for this thread as a look forward, not sideways or backward ...

More known examples:

... The Gilles family (but only Piper left now?)

... but as long as the question was asked:
Alexe Gilles, Piper's twin, skated at a Canadian sectional competition this year (did not win, but placed pretty high, if I recall correctly?).

Her coach is Rudy Galindo....Kristi's former pairs partner!

Oh, yes, silly me had forgotten -- and I think it's the best part of the story. Thanks for making that important point, sillylionlove.
I believe I had read a while back how Galindo was pleasantly surprised and honored that Yamaguchi brought her daughter to him. Nice that the former partners have reconciled to this extent.