Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Families of skaters. Who skates or doesn't skate?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    Her coach is Rudy Galindo....Kristi's former pairs partner!
    Aww that's great.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p68XgVU8w3k"]Annabelle Morozov[/URL] skates competitively, she won juvenile girls at North Atlantic regionals and was fifth at sectionals. I think her father choreographs at least some of her programs.

Skaters' kids who don't skate:
    Navka and Zhulin's daughter is a tennis player.
    Daria Gronkova quit skating several years ago.
    Alexei Yagudin has said that he and Tatiana Totmianina do not want their daughter Liza to go into competitive skating.
    Poor Annabelle

Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    Poor Annabelle
    No comment?

Actually, I think it's sweet, and I hope they have a good relationship.

Did Sasha Cohen's sister, Natasha, ever skate?

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johar View Post
    Anymore Hughes coming up in skating? Any children of famous skaters up and coming in the ranks?
    No big deal and I could be wrong, but I interpreted the OP's intent for this thread as a look forward, not sideways or backward ...

Quote Originally Posted by figureskatingfan22 View Post
    More known examples:

... The Gilles family (but only Piper left now?)
    ... but as long as the question was asked:
    Alexe Gilles, Piper's twin, skated at a Canadian sectional competition this year (did not win, but placed pretty high, if I recall correctly?).

Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    Her coach is Rudy Galindo....Kristi's former pairs partner!
    Oh, yes, silly me had forgotten -- and I think it's the best part of the story. Thanks for making that important point, sillylionlove.
    I believe I had read a while back how Galindo was pleasantly surprised and honored that Yamaguchi brought her daughter to him. Nice that the former partners have reconciled to this extent.

I dunno,but I think she took gymnastics when young with Sasha.

Custom Title
    I know for awhile that Viktor Petrenko's daughter Viktoria trained, and she looked very meticulous in terms of technique, but I don't know whether she still skates.

How great that Klimova and Ponomarenko's son is skating. I have such an affection for them--probably my favorite ice dancers ever. And I love a lot of ice dancers!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I know for awhile that Viktor Petrenko's daughter Viktoria trained, and she looked very meticulous in terms of technique, but I don't know whether she still skates.

How great that Klimova and Ponomarenko's son is skating. I have such an affection for them--probably my favorite ice dancers ever. And I love a lot of ice dancers!
    Viktoria plays tennis now, as does Oksana Grishuk's daughter

Custom Title
    Really? That's an interesting crossover. Good to hear that Viktoria is enjoying a sport she chose.

Quote Originally Posted by figureskatingfan22 View Post
    More known examples:

Scott Moir's brother Danny skated with his cousin (at some international junior competitions?) - This cousin and another Moir cousin became World Synchronized Champion.

Ksenia Makarova's parents were European Champions in Pairs Skating.

Andrei Bukin' son (Bestemianova/Bukin) Ivan skates at the Junior Grand Prix circuit with Alexandra Stepanova.

Nelli Zhiganshina's younger brother Ruslan skates with Victoria Sinitsina (even beat her at Cup of Russia).

(Viktoria and Joshi Helgesson)

The Gilles family (but only Piper left now?)

Michael Brezina's sister Eliska Brezinova skates now at the Junior Grand Prix.

Takahito Mura's dad Takashi competed at World level in singles and pairs - won a silver medal at the 1976 ISU Junior Figure Skating Championships.

Takahiko Kozuka's dad Tsuguhiko competed at the 1968 Olympics in singles.
    Didn't realize Ruslan Zhiganshin and Nelli Zhiganshina were siblings! You learn something new every day haha.

Katia Shpilband just finished fourth at Midwestern Sectionals in Junior Ladies and will be moving on to Nationals. Her step sequences and basic skating are to die for. (DUH!)

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Didn't realize Ruslan Zhiganshin and Nelli Zhiganshina were siblings! You learn something new every day haha.
    The feminine gender is the reason for the extra "-a" at the end of her name, if I am not mistaken.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    The daughters of Naomi Lang, Shae Lynne Bourne, and Natalia Michkoutienok all skate. Natalia and Naomi were posting on facebook about how excited they were when their daughters landed their first axel.

Maybe one day, Natasha Hanline (Natalia's daughter) will skate with Artur Jr!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    The daughters of Naomi Lang, Shae Lynne Bourne, and Natalia Michkoutienok all skate. Natalia and Naomi were posting on facebook about how excited they were when their daughters landed their first axel.
    Shae Lynn Bourne has a daughter? I missed that. I know she has a newborn son, who did quite a brilliant job at playing an adorable little spider in the Family Show, but I wasn't aware of any other kids. But, yes, that is so sweet that the moms are so excited about their kids skating. Natalia (I'm assuming it's her, the username is Mishkutenok) posted a video of Natasha skating on youtube-she is adorable, as you might expect.

Maybe one day, Natasha Hanline (Natalia's daughter) will skate with Artur Jr!
    Given their age gap, I don't see that happening, even if Natasha ever decides to switch to pairs when she gets older. But, there may be hope for another "Mishkutenok & Dmitriev" team if Natalia's daughter ever skaters with Artur's youngest son, who according to Wikipedia, is around 4 or 5 years old.
    Last edited by lulu; 11-19-2012 at 09:58 PM.

Custom Title
    I mentioned upthread that I thought Maxim Naumov skates. He does, and he qualified for junior nationals at the Juvenile level this year. Daniel Petrenko (Vladimir's son and Viktor's nephew) qualified in novice men.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast