2012 TEB Ladies Long Program Lp | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2012 TEB Ladies Long Program Lp

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Liza seems to have the great characteristic of mental fortitude and competitive spirit. She wants to do well and showed she has what it takes, proving all the naysayers wrong who thought she wouldn't be able to jump now that she has filled out. To me it seems like Liza is very focused on herself and not as distracted or affected by things going on outside the skating rink. Anyways her body is just going through a transitional period, she is still quite a small girl, short and very small frame, her legs, arms, and waist are just now thicker which is common for girls at that age, most likely the weight will shift as she grows into a more womanly shape. Based on the way she skated today I am not that worried about puberty monster doing her in, her good technique has served her well, this is probably the most difficult time she'll go through physically, and despite comments of others if you look at pictures of her in normal clothes, you'll see she really is very tiny. I don't think Liza is even 5 feet tall so on one that small a few pound gain seems very noticeable. As for Julia she has no speed going out of her jumps, and the technique isn't as good as Liza, I worry more about puberty hurting her jumps even if she remains slimmer than Liza.

Julia is actually taller than Liza now, she grew this season almost as tall as Wagner now
http://en.rsport.ru/other_sports/20121118/631249761.html

my only concern with Julia is she overtrains herself, this has been voiced by her coach Tuberidze, I would hate to see her constantly being hampered by injuries
she is tough, She has said in interview she was happy she completed her FS even with her ankle injured, she wanted to try her 3-3 if she can do it !

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
She has a head cold and was battling it throughout her FS--after her spectacular skate when Nicks asked her if she was feeling good, she replied, "No."

Well more props to her than for fighting through it. She was quoted in the Ice Network article:

"Today was a huge accomplishment for me," Wagner explained afterward. "I really did not feel at my best. It showed me that I do not need to be at my top to skate such a program.

When I read it at the time I didn't know what she was talking about, so glad to hear what the deal was. It shows how well-trained she is this season. Good job.

kalle

On the Ice
Back home after another trip to Paris. Bercy is really nice for figure skating despite being such a big arena.

Some notes from the ladies LP:

Gao was absolutely lovely, she is so smooth over the ice and every element very well executed.She is a stylish skater and I hope her marks will raise if she continues to skate this well.I wonder if she has any plans to upgrade ger 3F/2T to a 3F/3T for nationals..She kept attempting the 2A during the warm up, has that been a trouble jump for her?

It is such a shame Polina could not held it together in the LP after finally skating a good SP for her standards.She is very elegant but seemed a bit slow and not very confident out there.What happen to her killer combinations from last year?

I was very curious to see Liza live for the first time and indeed, she did not disappoint!Her program is crappy and she looks way too much down on the ice during her skate but she has that something that keep you captivated. I loved the way she picked up speed before her jumps and boy, she can jump!She seems to be a fierce competitor and it was touching to see how extremely happy she was after her skate.Makes you wonder how much pressure these young ladies are under..

What to say abut Ashley that has not already been said!It is almost "scary" how consistent and confident she is.Well, that said, she seemed a tad nervous before her LP and I hope she will not think too much about "defending" her title going into Nationals..She had the best program out there (Gao's was nicely choreographed too) but now, she also start to have a bit of a wow factor to her,very exciting.
When you sit in the audience, there is nothing better than when it "feels" like skater looks straight at you and draw you into the performance.I certainly have not felt like that since Mirai/Joannie and Lepisto's programs in 2010.
For me, Wagner has it all to be WC this year and she seems to be in a very good place right now.It was also a bit funny as Mr Nicks watched half of her LP sitting on a chair chair in the Kiss&Cry!He must be very satisfied with what they have achieved together so far.

Obviously, I was also curious about the new baby on the block. It was not her best skate and outside the 3/3 and the insane spins, there are a lot of work to be done.She has a lot of potential (no doubt about that) but I do not really understand how she can score so well..I thought Liza was miles ahead of her in every aspect except on the spins and comparing her to Wagner's skate it's like watching a senior versus a junior competitor..
But, she comes across like a very hard worker and next year is another story!

Overall, it was a great competition and good to see Liza back on track (Euros is going to be interesting this year!)

verte76

On the Ice
Ashley won the competition. She's happy. Next up is the show with Nancy Kerrigan and Katya Gordeeva.

lavender

Record Breaker
Great performance by Tuk, it was my favourite performance of the day. I think the judges are tough on her PCS scores, unfairly so, I would have her closer to Wagner and she should more or less level with Julia. I find Wagners performance to be a bit forced, don't like her style, it's a bit false or something. The judges clearly like her, she has a great shot for a worlds podium if not the title. I enjoy Julias performances but I think the ankle injury held her back a bit plus I think she seems a bit nervous/tense, her axle does look a bit different.

I really love to Polina K's presentation but sadly her jumps were not on yesterday. It's a very mature style, which is a bit unusual in todays skating.

I'm not a fan of any of these ladies in this competition but this is my feeling also.

pitterpatter

On the Ice
So happy that Liza skated so well, hopefully she makes it into the GPF and gets more PCS love from the judges there.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Sorry, but you also think that Agnes has the speed and the ease across the ice. So tt means you know nothing about speed and ease across the ice.

Um sweetheart, please don't take that condescending "I know more than you" tone with me. Agnes does have nice speed and skates with ease across the ice and just b/c you don't think so doesn't count for much. Your favorite skater was Rachael Flatt so that's a good indication of what you base your opinions on.:sarcasm: You've seen Ashley live...well congratulations, I guess that makes you the authority on the matter. Were you in Paris when she skated this weekend? :rolleye:

If you disagreed with Ashley's marks that's fine. I thought they were justified as do many others on this forum; others disagree and like I said, that's fine. But your jibe at me about "knowing nothing" was uncalled for and rude.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Um sweetheart, please don't take that condescending "I know more than you" tone with me. Agnes does have nice speed and skates with ease across the ice and just b/c you don't think so doesn't count for much. Your favorite skater was Rachael Flatt so that's a good indication of what you base your opinions on.:sarcasm: You've seen Ashley live...well congratulations, I guess that makes you the authority on the matter. Were you in Paris when she skated this weekend? :rolleye:

If you disagreed with Ashley's marks that's fine. I thought they were justified as do many others on this forum; others disagree and like I said, that's fine. But your jibe at me about "knowing nothing" was uncalled for and rude.

I've also seen Ashley live -- at Skate America. I will grant that she doesn't have blazing speed (nor is she super slow), but she DOES have is an amazing power and presence. You could sense her energy even as she was warming up.

I would think that presence would merit good marks in IN + PE, which lookie here, are her two highest PCS components at TEB!

Macassar88 WAS at TEB, so I'm hoping that he will reveal his thoughts in due time. :)

kwanatic

Record Breaker
I've also seen Ashley live -- at Skate America. I will grant that she doesn't have blazing speed (nor is she super slow), but she DOES have is an amazing power and presence. You could sense her energy even as she was warming up.

I would think that presence would merit good marks in IN + PE, which lookie here, are her two highest PCS components at TEB!

Macassar88 WAS at TEB, so I'm hoping that he will reveal his thoughts in due time. :)

I agree. I never implied Ashely had Kostner-like speed or anything like that; I think she has good speed and nice flow around the ice. She doesn't appear to be creeping at a snail's pace and nor does she look labored or unsure of herself as she moves around. Ashley's presence is wonderful on the ice. She takes command from the instant she steps out there and that kind of confidence is very admirable...even more so when she skates the way she's been skating b/c she's backing that confidence up with a great performance.

tulosai

Record Breaker
UYour favorite skater was Rachael Flatt so that's a good indication of what you base your opinions on.:sarcasm: You've seen Ashley live...well congratulations, I guess that makes you the authority on the matter. .

Now, in FlattFan's defense, she has announced that Rachael is dead to her now, so at least she's seen the error of her ways :clap:

More on point, I've also seen Ashley live, twice. Her speed is nothing to write home about, but it is not worse than average. In fact, for a skater at her level I'd put it at right about average, perhaps slightly above. I admit I've not seen her live this year. I would say I found her better than average at not losing speed coming out of jumps or spins (though I'll also admit some of her endings of spins have looked a bit slow this year).

When I did see her live, she was faster than Flatt, and slower than Nagasu for what it is worth. Of course now, Nagasu is likely slower based on recent reports from people who have seen her live.

FlattFan

Match Penalty

Again, you struggled to understand what I said and got indignant when I called you out. Name one poster who's seen Agnes and said had the speed and ease across the ice. You were quite stubborn about it, my dear.
And resort to drag Rachael, who is done, into the post is just desperate.

Your tone is quite hostile. Maybe time to step back from the computer and take a nice walk?

tripletimes3

Spectator
Ashley is really bringing it, congrats to her, she has obviously been working very hard. Seems like it has been awhile since the U.S. has had a skater who is as consistent as Ashley. I hope she continues this winning streak.
I think her programs could stand a little more choreography, but still, they are very solid programs. Shall we just give her the nationals gold medal now and save time? :)

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Ashley is really bringing it, congrats to her, she has obviously been working very hard. Seems like it has been awhile since the U.S. has had a skater who is as consistent as Ashley. I hope she continues this winning streak.
I think her programs could stand a little more choreography, but still, they are very solid programs. Shall we just give her the nationals gold medal now and save time? :)
First of all, welcome! :) (a lot of new people are joining us!)
Then, I agree about Ashley: I think she is the most consistent American lady since Michelle Kwan! And, it looks like the GPF Ladies Champion will be for the third time in a row a first time-winner! ;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
She has a head cold and was battling it throughout her FS--after her spectacular skate when Nicks asked her if she was feeling good, she replied, "No."

Thanks for filling me in. I was not following TEB news closely, but was/am happy for Wagner. Am even more impressed to learn that she did not let a cold stop her.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Sorry to rain on Ashley's parade, but her LP appears pale comparing with Joannie rochette's program. when the music was crying for choreography, she simply glide around with a few wiggling of wrists. I'm glad Ashley finally put things together, but I think her scores are a bit too high.

I have to disagree on this point. Personally I find Ashley's Samson & Delilah much superior to Joannie's. I thought Joannie's version was okay but no more than that. I preferred many of her other programs. Joannie is a wonderful skater, but what you need for this music is fire and confidence and sharpness--not qualities I associate with Joannie.

kwanatic

Record Breaker
Again, you struggled to understand what I said and got indignant when I called you out. Name one poster who's seen Agnes and said had the speed and ease across the ice. You were quite stubborn about it, my dear.
And resort to drag Rachael, who is done, into the post is just desperate.

Your tone is quite hostile. Maybe time to step back from the computer and take a nice walk?

And yet again, you struggle to understand the concept that your condescending and belittling tone isn't appreciated, sweetie.:) I never said Ashley or Agnes skated with immense or mind-blowing speed; I said their speed was "good" or "nice", and several people here corroborated my claims by saying the same thing...so either you are incapable of comprehending the context of the words "good" and "nice" or you're the stubborn one here.

And using Rachael to prove my point has nothing to do with desperation. It's just a measuring stick of what you use or (to be fair as tulosai said) once used to judge skaters, so I think that correctly illustrates my point. Judging by your past comments you seem to like to incite a bit of shock/hostility on this forum and that's just fine...but you shouldn't act surprised if someone takes offense to your comments. If you make snarky remarks be prepared to receive some snark back, honey. ;)