Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: 2012 TEB Ladies Long Program Lp

Down With It
    Great comeback by Gao in the FS to pull up to 4th.

The more I think about it, the more I say that Wagner is the American response to Korpi & Kostner. I think Team Wagner has finally figured out how to make the system work for her and I only pray that she remains healthy. If she keeps this up she's a World Medal Contender and I wouldn't even rule her out for the title.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Great comeback by Gao in the FS to pull up to 4th.

The more I think about it, the more I say that Wagner is the American response to Korpi & Kostner. I think Team Wagner has finally figured out how to make the system work for her and I only pray that she remains healthy. If she keeps this up she's a World Medal Contender and I wouldn't even rule her out for the title.
    That's interesting, and I get what you mean. Ironically, IMHO, I believe that in some ways both Korpi and Kostner were influenced by what Alissa Czisny brought to the ice during 2010 - 2011 season.

Quote Originally Posted by hippomoomin View Post

I love Julia. Nothing is wrong to be that flexible, she just need to build her flex moves into choreo, not making people think she is just showing flexibility for flexibility's sake; Remember last year people were complaining Liza's excessive hand movement. This year, she just got rid of them, and probably even easier for her. As a 14 year old, she is amazing. For me, no matter you get on the podium at 14 or 28, it is the same podium. Why many people complain she (and other young girls) is good at jumps only because she is young and small.
    Come on, every lady has a time when she is 14; you weren't as good as Julia, or Liza (last year) when you were 14, it's not their problem.
    This is only kind of related to what you are saying but I just wanted to also step in for Julia and respond to the people in this thread that have said she can't hold her flex positions or can't do them on an edge.

Julia needs work on her edges (they can be weak) but here is a spiral in her current exhibition that she preformed just a few weeks ago at CoC. She holds an insane flex position for nearly 10 whole seconds, including a change of edge. At the end the edge wobbles some as she comes out of it, and throughout the edge could be stronger/is actually weak, but she is definitely not on a flat and she can, indeed, hold these positions. She just needs better choreo to enable her to do so (and to even enable her to find the edge- a lot of her 'flex' moves in the programs last literally one second, there is no time for her to get on or hold an edge in preforming them).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PD4ZdTMfbI#t=2m02s

Custom Title
    Ashley Wagner is today's Joannie Rochette: strong and high jumps (almost fiercely so), powerful music interpreted with equal parts grace and strength, and defined confidence. She also has a solid layback spin, competent charlotte spiral, and doesn't let her musical interpretation drop for more than five seconds.

The only parts of her skating I think could be improved is her turning ability and turn difficulty, which can be seen in her footwork sequence. While she doesn't waste her arm movements like other skaters, there's a lot of posing to the beat, which is fine and allows her to gain speed for the important jumps but that's not terribly difficult.

Still, I like how she changed some of the ending choreography where she stopped and posed after her footwork sequence; now she covers more ice before her final triple flip.

Quote Originally Posted by draqq View Post
    Ashley Wagner is today's Joannie Rochette: strong and high jumps (almost fiercely so), powerful music interpreted with equal parts grace and strength, and defined confidence. She also has a solid layback spin, competent charlotte spiral, and doesn't let her musical interpretation drop for more than five seconds.
    Didn't Joannie also skate to "Samson & Delilah" during the Olympic year?

Down With It
    Ashley Wagner is today's Joannie Rochette
    Another interesting analogy. Both Wagner and Rochette were middle-of-the-pack skaters for several years before they finally had their big break and rose to the top rung of elite skaters. However, Rochette did not have to deal with intense competition at the national level like Wagner does/did, and that resulted in more international experience (mainly Worlds).

I think Wagner pays better attention to detail than Rochette did, though.
    Last edited by R.D.; 11-17-2012 at 11:46 PM.

Custom Title
    Huh, other than both skating to Samson and Delilah in the FS, the two don't share much in common in my eyes. Ashley is a better spinner than Rochette, but Rochette is definitely the better jumper--real lutz, and most all of her jumps were big--Rochette was never prone to UR calls (though she also never attempted many 3/3s). However, Ashley has dealt with UR calls for much of her career, and it's a factor that's contributed to why she hasn't had more success until 2012, where a new confidence has helped her with her jumps.

Custom Title
    Sorry to rain on Ashley's parade, but her LP appears pale comparing with Joannie rochette's program. when the music was crying for choreography, she simply glide around with a few wiggling of wrists. I'm glad Ashley finally put things together, but I think her scores are a bit too high.

Don't think Ashley and Joannie have much in common either. Ashley is by nature a drama queen, but Joannie is pretty much a introvert person. Joannie had great jumping techniques but a bit stiff. Ashely has a better built but Joannie has more genuine charm. Ashley is a better spinner and Better performer.

A any way, we need to see somebody come up with decent performance with respectable TES at this stage.
    Last edited by Ilvskating; 11-18-2012 at 12:37 AM.

If Ashley continues with this confidence level, she will be rewarded and could score 200+

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilvskating View Post
    Sorry to rain on Ashley's parade ...
    To each their own opinion. IMO, Ashley is her own creation. Perhaps the one thing Ashley might have in common with Joannie is that they both have taken (as have many skaters) some inspiration from the admirable qualities and the courage that Michelle Kwan consistently brought to the ice.

You really can't "rain on the parade" of someone who owns more than one umbrella, but still isn't afraid to dance in the rain without one, and is fully prepared to shine regardless of whether the rain comes or the sun appears from behind the clouds.

Go Ashley!
    Last edited by Art&Sport; 11-18-2012 at 12:53 AM.

Custom Title
    Edge calls on lutzes are just the way things are going to be for Ashley and that is fine. She lays a penalty but not a big one.

Julia tried to do more of a 2a/3T/2t but because of her switching and revamping she did 2a/1t first. Unfortunate.

Great for tuktamisheva. those jumps were so secure. They just seemed so secure! Except for one but she saved it and it all looked great! SP training must improve though!

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Tuktamisheva was super impressive. Will we see anything better than that this year in terms of the jumps? I doubt it. This is quite a good program too, IMO, and she seems to really understand most of the nuances. Definitely the LP winner here for me.

Wagner was solid and everything seemed easy, which is pleasant to see. I don't think it's a well-choreographed program or that she interpreted the music particularly well.

Gao did well again but she's missing originality. There's nothing about her skating that seems her own.

Lipnitskaya is scary. It's truly as if Slutskaya, Lipinski, and Cohen were all mixed together into one skater. She has all of their faults and all of their capabilities at the same time, and she seems to "want" it as badly as all 3 of those women put together, which really says something. Just scary.

Is Lipnitskaya the first lady ever to receive +1.50 GOE for a CCoSp?
    And, I'm so happy for Liza: I didn't think she could have made the final!
    Wagner: I felt it was a stunning performance, she really deserved 64 PCS, I liked Liza and Gao but when I saw Ashley it was

Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    You really can't "rain on the parade" of someone who owns more than one umbrella, but still isn't afraid to dance in the rain without one, and is fully prepared to shine regardless of whether the rain comes or the sun appears from behind the clouds.
    That sentence is art. Also sport.

Custom Title
    I was so impressed by Ashley's performance!!
    She looked very confident and sold her program very well.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast