Elizaveta Tuktamysheva | Page 104 | Golden Skate

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Thank you for the translation, Newbiespectator. My computer hates Dailymotion, so hopefully the footage (and exhibition) will show up on Youtube sometime...

While that song is everything I hate crammed into one, I'm fine with what clips I did see of the actual EX (sorry, can't see the boob grab due to my Dailymotion problem). It's something different from what she's done in the past, but at the same time, she still seems to be having fun. Hopefully that'll override my hatred of the song itself once we see the whole program.

Hmmm dunno about boob grab
But then, honestly, there are so few female skaters that actually have them, so it is a bit like a 3A also =P
:rofl: This is probably one of the funniest things I've read on this forum (and possibly the best defence of a boob grab ever).

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Liza as expected will be going to Skate Canada and TEB:
http://isuprod.blob.core.windows.net/media/207789/gp_ladies.pdf

Ladies competitions are getting more and more exciting and fierce in the next quad. I'd love to see the return of Mao and Julia, and Gracie is also a force to be reckoned with next season. Healthy rivalries can only help Liza grow into a much stronger and more beautiful skater in the near future. The best is yet to come.

darazam

On the Ice
Yeah, I was a bit put-off by the boob-grabbing myself. Though I don't mind sexy routines for variety.

I don't know what she meant by 'other things' maybe a Russian speaker can tell us more?

Her replies are translated from Russian to Japanese by the interpreter and then to English by me.
So if a Russian speaker can translate it directly it will be less confusing.

You translation in pretty consistent with what Liza herself said :agree:

About "other things" part - it was just the same in Russian.

F: What things?
L: Dunno. Will find out in two years, maybe.

Sidenote: the interpreter is Ryuju Hino's father. I think he did a great job interpreting Liza's words.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k5xsyvW7vYl8TLbALf7
Elizaveta on Japanese TV.

Some general notes on the clip:

They concentrated mostly on how sexy she was in her performances, her triple axel, and the up-coming rivalry with Mao.

The male commentator was a bit of a sleaze-ball but I think that is his function on this show. The lady was very polite and complementary (so was the guy).

Elizaveta's answers were very good and confident.

Male interviewer: Why are you so sexy?
That's due to my parents

Oh. My. Goodness!!!! I can't believe somebody would actually ask somebody that!!! :eek:

Well done to Liza for coming up with such a good answer! :cool:

I have to be honest, because the video is 15 minutes long, I only watched the clips of the exhibition, as I wanted to see if it was as tacky as I feared.

Alas, from the clips they showed, it is. :disapp:

But, I want to nip something in the bud before this conversation goes onto another page (pun totally intended!)

I'm not sure what to think of this exhibition. I just don't see a need for a two handed boob grab. Of course, YMMV. Hopefully when I watch the whole program it will seem less tacky.

Sam, I really like you. So, I don't want you to take this as a personal criticism, because it is not. It is just me nit-picking.

But sorry, that is not a boob grab. To me, a boob grab is when the hands are fully over the breasts, and possibly squeezing them. (And I’ve seen plenty of that going on this week during matches at the Women’s World Cup!)

What Liza is doing is merely drawing around them with her hands, just like Britney Spears did in the video for "Toxic". That may have been considered risqué when Britney's video was released 11 years ago (was it really that long ago?!), but it is mild compared to what you get in music videos nowadays.

That said, I agree unreservedly with Sam's comments that it is totally unnecessary and tacky. :agree:

It is nearly as bad as Vik and Nik’s antics in their Free Dance last season… but only nearly! Nothing could be as bad as that!

Yeah, I was a bit put-off by the boob-grabbing myself. Though I don't mind sexy routines for variety.

Agree on both points. And just to expand on the latter, Akiko’s 2011/12 “Burlesque” gala is one of my favourite gala routines of all time… as is Adelina’s 2012/13 “Burlesque” gala! Oh, and Fumie at the 2012 Oberstdorf Eisgala isn't too far behind either!

Hmmm dunno about boob grab
But then, honestly, there are so few female skaters that actually have them, so it is a bit like a 3A also =P

Absolutely priceless! :bow:

But, so true…

While that song is everything I hate crammed into one, I'm fine with what clips I did see of the actual EX (sorry, can't see the boob grab due to my Dailymotion problem). It's something different from what she's done in the past, but at the same time, she still seems to be having fun. Hopefully that'll override my hatred of the song itself once we see the whole program.

From the clips I’ve seen so far, I don’t like the routine at all. But, like you, I’m hoping that will change when I see the whole thing. But, I don’t fancy my chances of that happening…

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

hurrah

Medalist
I cannot believe that her manager suggested to Eliza to choose Get Low as her exhibition music. The only possible excuse for this is that this person is Russian and has very poor comprehension of English. Otherwise, how on earth does a mature adult---and I presume her manager is a great deal older than Eliza---suggest to an 18-year-old to do that routine to that music??

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I cannot believe that her manager suggested to Eliza to choose Get Low as her exhibition music. The only possible excuse for this is that this person is Russian and has very poor comprehension of English. Otherwise, how on earth does a mature adult---and I presume her manager is a great deal older than Eliza---suggest to an 18-year-old to do that routine to that music??

If you mean her coach (Alexei Mishin), then yes, you could say he is older than Liza... he's 74!!!

If it was Mishin, for somebody that age to be picking a song like that says to me that he has asked somebody what songs are popular on YouTube, and has just gone with it without actually finding out what it is about.

Mishin can't surely have known what it was about. If he did, it would be really creepy that somebody his age agreed to using a song with that title for a girl who is young enough to be his grand-daughter! :eek:

I don't know if Liza meant her coach or her manager in the interview. (I don't even know if she has a manager, but with her profile now, I suppose she would need one). But whoever it is, they have made a big mistake. This choice of song will alienate a lot of her fans.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
Maybe they thought it was youthful, and "hip" and "cool" or something? (I've not the foggiest notion what people are listening to nowadays, so... maybe it is?)

LRK

Record Breaker
If you mean her coach (Alexei Mishin), then yes, you could say he is older than Liza... he's 74!!!

For somebody that age to be picking a song like that says to me that he has asked somebody what songs are popular on YouTube, and has just gone with it without actually finding out what it is about.

He can't surely have known what it was about. If he did, it would be really creepy that somebody his age picked a song with that title for a girl who is young enough to be his grand-daughter! :eek:

CaroLiza_fan

She didn't say her "coach", though - she said her "manager".

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
She didn't say her "coach", though - she said her "manager".

That's the thing, though. I worded the opening sentence the way I did just in case there was something lost with translating between so many languages (Russian to Japanese to English).

Perhaps a Russian speaker could check if Mr. Hino used the right word.

I have just re-written the comment to make that clearer, and added an extra bit of opinion to the end.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I'm a native English speaker and I have no idea what "Get Low" is about. I thought it was just a stupid dance move, like "how low can you go," you know...I would never expect non-native speakers to assume there is anything more implied by such simple lyrics. And really, so what if there is? If male skaters can skate to "Sexy & I Know It," "Sex Bomb," etc. then Liza can have some fun too. She's 18, which I believe is the same age when Plushy debuted "Sex Bomb."

(I still don't like the song, but I think it's a generational thing, so if she wants to have fun in an ex program, go for it.)

Last edited:

hurrah

Medalist
I think the song's underwritten message is that a woman should 'get low', i.e., kneel down, in front of a man whose whistle, i.e., penis, is 'blow'ing, i.e., erect, and should receive onto her face when it 'go'es, i.e., ejaculates, and then 'Yallah Habibi', i.e., follow the man into orgasm.

I mean, it's a song. There can be several interpretations to the lyrics, but the one above is probably one that is strongly suggested, and so therefore, this song is terribly misogynistic.

It's one thing for Pluschenko to make fun of his own self dancing to 'Sex Bomb', but quite another when Liza probably is dancing to that song not knowing how much she's degrading herself doing that.

e.t.a. Or, 'get low' could also mean that the woman should grind herself into the man's whistle. I'm a very yucky person for thinking all this. :hopelessness: But then, is this not all too obvious? The lyrics are written there for everyone to read.

Last edited:

adelia

Record Breaker
I think the song's underwritten message is that a woman should 'get low', i.e., kneel down, in front of a man whose whistle, i.e., penis, is 'blow'ing, i.e., erect, and should receive onto her face when it 'go'es, i.e., ejaculates, and then 'Yallah Habibi', i.e., follow the man into orgasm.

I mean, it's a song. There can be several interpretations to the lyrics, but the one above is probably one that is strongly suggested, and so therefore, this song is terribly misogynistic.

It's one thing for Pluschenko to make fun of his own self dancing to 'Sex Bomb', but quite another when Liza probably is dancing to that song not knowing how much she's degrading herself doing that.

e.t.a. Or, 'get low' could also mean that the woman should grind herself into the man's whistle. I'm a very yucky person for thinking all this. :hopelessness: But then, is this not all too obvious? The lyrics are written there for everyone to read.
Sorry to disappoint you but that is hardly what comes to my mind when the phrase "get low" is said. So no, it isn't "all too obvious" to everyone. And yes, I'm a native speaker of English.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Sorry to disappoint you but that is hardly what comes to my mind when the phrase "get low" is said. So no, it isn't "all too obvious" to everyone. And yes, I'm a native speaker of English.

I guess it depends on the generation. The past decade of US mainstream music has been filled with songs about dipping it low/gettin low and whistling :eek:hwell: Its general slang for oral, but for some people these songs are probably ambiguous :shrug: I know a lot of kids who sing along to these songs, not knowing what they're really singing about....

adelia

Record Breaker
I guess it depends on the generation. The past decade of US mainstream music has been filled with songs about dipping it low/gettin low and whistling :eek:hwell: Its general slang for oral, but for some people these songs are probably ambiguous :shrug: I know a lot of kids who sing along to these songs, not knowing what they're really singing about....
I'm not significantly older than Liza, I just don't listen to this genre of music. If she wants to skate to it that's okay. I don't have to like every program that she puts out.

winky97

Medalist

I think too much is being read into that song. It has a nice beat and that is probably what at tracked her to it. The song is also used in a Taco Bell commercial and a car commercial.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I am not a native English speaker but I can somewhat sense the suggestion of this song... :hopelessness: Yeah I am like 10 year older than Liza but... I know for sure Liza doesn't understand the lyrics... but still...

darazam

On the Ice
That's the thing, though. I worded the opening sentence the way I did just in case there was something lost with translating between so many languages (Russian to Japanese to English).

Perhaps a Russian speaker could check if Mr. Hino used the right word.

I have just re-written the comment to make that clearer, and added an extra bit of opinion to the end.

CaroLiza_fan

Liza said it was her manager, Ari Zakaryan, who brought this idea.
That line "But I also wanted to do a number like this myself" was just a bit longer, "But I also wanted to do a number like this myself for quite a while, cause I love to dance and to move in a smooth manner"

Zakaryan happens to be Plushenko's manager too btw.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
That line "But I also wanted to do a number like this myself" was just a bit longer, "But I also wanted to do a number like this myself for quite a while, cause I love to dance and to move in a smooth manner"

Thanks for making that clear! The bits that I saw of the EX seemed more hip-hop than smooth, but there is a smooth hip-hop style too, of course.
I think we all have 'that one' EX from even our favorite skaters that we don't like. She'll probably change it by next season.
:)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Thank you for clearing that up. It is never an easy job translating somebody on the spot like that, so well done to Mr. Hino for getting it right. I'm sorry I doubted you!

I just looked Zakaryan up to find out what age he was (I didn't have any success, but from the photos I saw, he looks like he's in his 40's), and found out that he is a former skater himself. So, it's good to see that Liza is being guided by people that have been there themselves.

Returning to topic, and, yes, hurrah's (very graphic) description is correct - the phrase "getting low" (and hence the song) IS referring to oral sex.

So, there is a whole world of difference between the meaning of this song and the meaning of Tom Jones' song!

I really hope somebody associated with Liza is reading this, as Liza and her team really need to have a full understanding of what this song is about.

Maybe I'm getting mixed up, but doesn't the ISU have rules about things that are not acceptable in song content. Because, if they do, I'm sure that this would break it.

And none of us want to see Liza getting into trouble. Especially if it is over an exhibition routine!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited: