Elizaveta Tuktamysheva | Page 60 | Golden Skate

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva

LRK

Record Breaker
I wonder... If she does, will people still be asking: Yeah, that's all well and fine - but what about a 3Lz-3T? ;)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Why not? We have to put up with bloke problems often enough. See: the mentions of guys' junk in the Four Continents threads. Do we really need to know how you go about making sure all that stays in place? Nope, but it'll get talked about anyway. But ohhhh noooooo we can't talk about ladies' problems that cause genuine physical issues and introduce several nasty complications into the competition factor. (But guys will keep using it as a joke if we're legit peeved about something.)

Ahem. Sorry.
Agreed. It's just part of life. Nothing to be embarrassed about. I don't see it as taboo conversation. (Though for Liza's sake, if she feels embarrassed, I apologize as a contributor to the "OMG, is Liza okay??" panic that may have forced Mishin's hand.)

I wonder... If she does, will people still be asking: Yeah, that's all well and fine - but what about a 3Lz-3T? ;)
In my heart of hearts, I think 3Lz-3T is more beautiful than 3A-3T (though it depends on the person--I think Plushenko's axel-toe is more beautiful than his lutz-toe). So I do want it back for purely aesthetic reasons. :laugh:

What strikes me about Liza's 3A is its ease. Not explosive or showy like Midori, whose axel screams TRIPLE! Liza lands it and you think she just did a commonplace jump... only to look again and realize what she did.

adelia

Record Breaker
4 years ago she was landing 3A-3T in practice, looks like it's gradually coming back. If she succeeds in getting it back, the rest of the girls will be battling for silver.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Isn't taking pills to prevent menstruation illegal for the WADA? They are hormone pills.

Glad to know that 'abdominal pain' isn't due to an injury. I was worried for a second there.

LisaM

Medalist
You do realize that the pill contains estrogen and progestrogen, not testosterone? Those hormones will do nothing to improve your results. If you'd just google 'birth control and doping in sports' you'll find that it's perfectly legal to use. You just have to record it (like with all medications). In fact, many athletes use birth control to keep their periods going, as some are prone to losing their period (amenorrhea) because of the intensity of elite training, which can cause decreases in bone density because of a lack of estrogen and could potentially be very dangerous.

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Isn't taking pills to prevent menstruation illegal for the WADA? They are hormone pills.
Oral contraceptives are permitted. I guess WADA could prohibit certain oral contraceptives if necessary. I heard something about masking effects of certain contraceptives once, but I guess it was minimal, I never heard of it again. But you're right, there are certain anabolic effects in female hormones. Getting pregnant for example is very beneficial in the first few weeks (those homones are prohibited for male athletes ...). But you have to draw the line somewhere. :)

Liza's 3A looks just great, so easy! I would be thrilled to see it at Worlds!

Tutto

Record Breaker
A better view of 3A:
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153262702003132

Wow!

Mr Mishin is something else, a typical man really, how easy it was to say that Lisa had a stomach bug and leave it at that? Poor girl, at her age I would probably die of embarassment...
I seem to recall one old interview where Lisa was talking about how difficult it was for her to get used to Mishin's ways when she joined his group because he was so used to coaching boys and she was the only girl in the group and often got upset by Mishin's words or the way he said it but the boys didn't seem to give a damn at all.
And just recently she said that she is glad to have Tatiana Prokofieva as a second coach as there are times when you are more comfortable with your own sex.
I decided to check if Mishin ever had another female top skater and look what I've come across in Wikipedia:

''Mishin prefers to work with men's single skaters. The most successful and longtime student is Evgeni Plushenko
On the subject of female students, Mishin said in 2009, "better one man of average talent than two super-talented ladies" because "compared with women, men are more sporty and talented and able to learn artistic elements faster" but women are "delicate material":[12]
Coaching women is dangerous – there's always probability that the story of (mythology) Pygmalion will recur periodically. My wife was a mere pupil at first. See, what has eventually happened?[3]''

I am sure there is no fear of that happening again :)
And it is pure joy to watch them in K&C but I am sure Lisa has a lot to put up with!

Last edited:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
You do realize that the pill contains estrogen and progestrogen, not testosterone? Those hormones will do nothing to improve your results. If you'd just google 'birth control and doping in sports' you'll find that it's perfectly legal to use. You just have to record it (like with all medications). In fact, many athletes use birth control to keep their periods going, as some are prone to losing their period (amenorrhea) because of the intensity of elite training, which can cause decreases in bone density because of a lack of estrogen and could potentially be very dangerous.

Sorry, it was just the science nerd in me asking that question because I learned that progesterone can be converted into androstenedione inside the body which is indeed banned. I already know the benefits of oral contraception, but I was just wondering about that little tidbit.

I was just cautious about Tuk taking medication that could possibly be illegal. But if not, then more power to her! Anything to have her top the podium in Shanghai!

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
A better view of 3A:
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153262702003132

Wow!

Mr Mishin is something else, a typical man really, how easy it was to say that Lisa had a stomach bug and leave it at that? Poor girl, at her age I would probably die of embarassment...
I seem to recall one old interview where Lisa was talking about how difficult it was for her to get used to Mishin's ways when she joined his group because he was so used to coaching boys and she was the only girl in the group and often got upset by Mishin's words or the way he said it but the boys didn't seem to give a damn at all.
And just recently she said that she is glad to have Tatiana Prokofieva as a second coach as there are times when you are more comfortable with your own sex.
I decided to check if Mishin ever had another female top skater and look what I've come across in Wikipedia:

''Mishin prefers to work with men's single skaters. The most successful and longtime student is Evgeni Plushenko
On the subject of female students, Mishin said in 2009, "better one man of average talent than two super-talented ladies" because "compared with women, men are more sporty and talented and able to learn artistic elements faster" but women are "delicate material":[12]
Coaching women is dangerous – there's always probability that the story of (mythology) Pygmalion will recur periodically. My wife was a mere pupil at first. See, what has eventually happened?[3]''

I am sure there is no fear of that happening again :)
And it is pure joy to watch them in K&C but I am sure Lisa has a lot to put up with!

:laugh: If someone else said those things I might be a little offended, but Mishin is so old-school and so deadpan that I can't take his words all that seriously. For me it doesn't matter if he has one or ten female students, when the one he does have is doing so well and he stuck with her through her most challenging times.

Meoima

Match Penalty
:laugh: If someone else said those things I might be a little offended, but Mishin is so old-school and so deadpan that I can't take his words all that seriously. For me it doesn't matter if he has one or ten female students, when the one he does have is doing so well and he stuck with her through her most challenging times.
That's what I like most about Mishin you know. He develops skaters from young and never leaves them, and I's sure those that have enough tenacity to stay with him through all the difficulties are all successful, all champions. One the ways, Liza!!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I suspect Mishin's views may have changed since those Wikipedia quotes. (I mean, when were those from?) All his recent interviews indicate that 1) the women's field should push the sport and strive forward, similar principles to the men 2) and yet he highlights Liza's femininity on the performance side of things.