US TV Alert - Sunday November 18 on NBC | Page 3 | Golden Skate

US TV Alert - Sunday November 18 on NBC

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I watched the family show, but fast-forwarded through a lot of it (got tired of Jewel, although she is lovely). It was nice to see so many of the skaters and their families. Random thoughts: Was Daria Grinkova there? It was surprising to see how tall Nancy Kerrigan's son was. He sure looked a lot like her - what a handsome young man! Shae-Lynn's little guy was adorable, and she looks great for being a new mom. Paul Wylie has certainly kept up his skills. I didn't know that Todd Eldredge's new wife could skate well, too. The star for me was Liza Kulik. It will be interesting to see if she pursues skating competitively.

Someone in the other thread pointed out that Liza Kulik competed at the Southwest Pacific Regional Championships in October in the juvenile level. She missed out in competing in the final round by one place in her qualification group. She missed a bunch of levels, so she'll have to work on that, but I think she shows promise. http://www.kuliksskating.com/events/2013-southwest-pacific-regional-championships.html

lulu

Final Flight
I watched the family show, but fast-forwarded through a lot of it (got tired of Jewel, although she is lovely). It was nice to see so many of the skaters and their families. Random thoughts: Was Daria Grinkova there? It was surprising to see how tall Nancy Kerrigan's son was. He sure looked a lot like her - what a handsome young man! Shae-Lynn's little guy was adorable, and she looks great for being a new mom. Paul Wylie has certainly kept up his skills. I didn't know that Todd Eldredge's new wife could skate well, too. The star for me was Liza Kulik. It will be interesting to see if she pursues skating competitively.

Daria was not at the event. Todd Eldredge's wife, Sabrina was a former competitive skater and two time U.S. novice pairs medalist. Liza is a lovely skater, I really hope to see more of her in the coming years.

BTW: for anyone who missed the show, clips of the opening & closing numbers and Todd's numbers are already on youtube, and I'm guessing the other numbers should be on youtube in the next few days or so.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks again, lulu. Feel free to post the links if you see them before I do. Were the seats full? Man, they couldnt have had much time to move the show to another city and sell tickets....

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I watched the family show, but fast-forwarded through a lot of it (got tired of Jewel, although she is lovely).

The one song I really liked from Jewel was Sammy the Spider...I thing Shae's baby was the spider and oh so very cute!!!

Todd E. baby was quite the chub. It makes me nervous when they have the small babies on the ice. I'm so happy for Todd.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A few random comments re; TEB & the Family Skating Tribute

One of my guilty pleasures is listening to Terry Gannon (still wish it was through ABC/ESPN). Jumping for joy for Ashley and Christina. Very happy for Jeremy to rebound and win the silver medal (Yuka is always eye candy for me in the K&C :love:). Glad to see that Brian Joubert is still competing. Thank you, Florent, for NOT skating to vocal music, and doing so well. Takahiko, wow! NBC, you need to show pairs and ice dance, too!

I'm glad that Musselmans is donating some of the money for Hurricane Sandy relief. I really loved seeing all pros & their families. Katia looked spectacular in that second costume. I have to check last season's SOI pics to see if she was wearing the same costume (the program was "Feelin' Good," - her second number in 2012 SOI). Olympia, I am proud to have my screen name here. MM, we will never forget Todd's "Who Let the Dogs Out?" program (we were lucky enough to be in attendance @ that particular Imporov Ice show). Lulu, thanks for the Youtube links. Coyote Chris has a good idea. I think we should thank the sponsors for supporting skating (even though I still wish some of the same ads would not be repeated several times during the broadcast). I do wish that Smuckers was still sponsoring SOI (maybe there would be more shows for people around the country). It is such a joy to see the pros with their beautiful families!

emma

Record Breaker
thanks tonichelle re: Weiss...I couldn't quite place his voice and as cooking while watching, so couldn't hear everything either. What I did hear, I liked - seems like a good commentator. I have special fondness for Gannon, but wish he and Tara had a better approach than what I heard this time (especially the chatter over the skates).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
thanks tonichelle re: Weiss...I couldn't quite place his voice and as cooking while watching, so couldn't hear everything either. What I did hear, I liked - seems like a good commentator. I have special fondness for Gannon, but wish he and Tara had a better approach than what I heard this time (especially the chatter over the skates).

I'm pleasantly surprised how much I like Weiss' commentary. He was always a power jumper in his day, so I thought he would have more of a bias toward those who do quads and fail to note the PCS side of the system.

But now, he's actually quite good at noting how PCS plays in that skater's score. Of course he clearly appreciate the quads, but that's not the only thing he notes. He also does a good job explaining why a skater gets or misses a jump.

I'm really disappointed in Tara this season. When she was commentating on Universal Sports a few seasons back, I thought she was quite good -- not sure what the deal is now.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Mike really embraced the CoP when he was skatiing. He understands it enough to make his commentary spot on.

His skating programs wouldve been better if he didnt just use his wife all the time as choreographer.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think Gannon talks too much/his comments are irrelevant to the action happening on the ice. Save the tidbits and factoids for AFTER the skate is finished (or before the skate begins), please...

I'm really disappointed in Tara this season. When she was commentating on Universal Sports a few seasons back, I thought she was quite good -- not sure what the deal is now.

Agreed. Either she should get her act together or maybe they should find someone else...

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I still love Terry Gannon, but he talks A LOT more than he used to and asks Tara A LOT of chit-chatty questions during the programs, so it's not entirely Tara's fault. I like Michael Weiss as a commentator a lot more than Peter Carruthers. I hope Weiss does the rest of the Men's GP events for NBC.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Terry may be getting notes from his boss saying to talk more. All their commentators are far more chatty than other networks

meem

On the Ice

IMO Terry Gannon is the only commentator we've had in many years who truly appreciates the athleticism of figure skaters and has developed a great deal of respect for the skaters (remember the horrid days of Al Trautwig and some of his very bored pals?) I don't recall Terry being so chatty in the past. Maybe he felt as tho' he needed to "fill the air" since Tara wasn't saying much during each skater's programs (other than commenting on the jumps). I'd like to hear a commentator talk more about the in-betweens (or the glaring lack of the in-betweens) for example. Tara seemed to do a better job back in Torino. I really enjoyed listening to Michael Weiss and hope he'll take over for Scott in the (very) near future.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I still love Terry Gannon, but he talks A LOT more than he used to and asks Tara A LOT of chit-chatty questions during the programs, so it's not entirely Tara's fault. I like Michael Weiss as a commentator a lot more than Peter Carruthers. I hope Weiss does the rest of the Men's GP events for NBC.

That's what I noticed that Terry was asking Tara questions and what is she supposed to do shhhh him?? I like Tara & Michael's voices. I also like it when the commentator says what jump the skater just did. Although I know some of the jumps sometimes unless I'm concentrating I miss which jump they did like the flip or lutz.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Anyone have thoughts on the commentators for Universal Sports (namely Tanith for Dance or whoever it is for pairs?)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Terry may be getting notes from his boss saying to talk more. All their commentators are far more chatty than other networks

Yes, I strongly agree with Toni that Gannon and Lipinksi are following marching orders from the NBC producers.
If they want less talking, it's up to the producers to get the talent on board.

LauraV

On the Ice
Anyone have thoughts on the commentators for Universal Sports (namely Tanith for Dance or whoever it is for pairs?)

I think Tanith is very good on the whole. She clearly understands dance scoring, an arcane subject for the average fan, and I think she does a good job of communicating as much as you can reasonably expect while a dance is ongoing. For example, she seems to know - in real time - if errors have been made in the compulsory section of a SD, which is really hard for a fan to detect, especially on TV. (Fans other than the redoubtable Doris Pulaski, that is.)

I know that some question whether she is - or can reasonably be expected to be - neutral when commenting on a performance involving Charlie White. It's a fair question. I think as long as she or her co-commentator discloses her situation during the telecast, so that viewers understand she might have a natural reason for bias in that particular case, it's okay. She is a good and genuinely knowledgeable commentator and I'd rather she not be disqualified for that reason.

Almost all commentators, even the best, are apt to have one sort of bias or other - usually nationalistic. I find you have to take every body's commentary with at least a small grain of salt.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Peter Carruthers does pairs and men for most Universal Sports broadcasts.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think Tanith is very good on the whole. ...

I know that some question whether she is - or can reasonably be expected to be - neutral when commenting on a performance involving Charlie White. It's a fair question. I think as long as she or her co-commentator discloses her situation during the telecast, so that viewers understand she might have a natural reason for bias in that particular case, it's okay. She is a good and genuinely knowledgeable commentator and I'd rather she not be disqualified for that reason.

Almost all commentators, even the best, are apt to have one sort of bias or other - usually nationalistic. I find you have to take every body's commentary with at least a small grain of salt.

Don't forget that Belbin's extreme conflict of interest remains when she is commenting on ice dancers other than White.
Anything she says could influence perception of the strengths and weaknesses of White's rivals, and indirectly could put White in a more favorable light by comparison. Hardly a shining example of sports journalism at its finest.
Belbin does not seem like someone who would intentionally abuse her platform, but I think she should recuse herself from commentary on ice dance until White has ended his competitive career. Disclosing her relationship with White once per broadcast is better than nothing, but it does not magically render her free of subconscious bias.
NBC gave Belbin some sort of on-camera role for the London Olympics. (I believe that she was on its Sports Network, to which I do not have access.) If she has been bitten by the broadcasting bug, I hope that she will have more opportunities unrelated to ice dance.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Don't forget that Belbin's extreme conflict of interest remains when she is commenting on ice dancers other than White.
Anything she says could influence perception of the strengths and weaknesses of White's rivals, and indirectly could put White in a more favorable light by comparison. Hardly a shining example of sports journalism at its finest.
Belbin does not seem like someone who would intentionally abuse her platform, but I think she should recuse herself from commentary on ice dance until White has ended his competitive career. Disclosing her relationship with White once per broadcast is better than nothing, but it does not magically render her free of subconscious bias.
NBC gave Belbin some sort of on-camera role for the London Olympics. (I believe that she was on its Sports Network, to which I do not have access.) If she has been bitten by the broadcasting bug, I hope that she will have more opportunities unrelated to ice dance.

I have to say I agree as well. I was asking about Tanith from a pure commentary standpoint, but I do agree that she has a huge conflict of interest. In most media outlets, such a conflict of interest would be prohibited. Maybe Ice Network can hire her to do the lower-level Ice Dance competitions? Or perhaps she can be used to explain certain aspects of Ice Dance? (How a pattern works, whatever). But I agree that it's not a good idea to have her directly commentating on the dances themselves of a competitive field that includes her boyfriend.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't think she's overly biased against D/W's competitors, though, she seems to like a lot of the team and is able to point out strengths and weaknesses without comparing everyone to D/W

Even if she was, though, that would play into the NBC style of broadcasting. USA above all others!