US TV Alert - Sunday November 18 on NBC | Golden Skate

US TV Alert - Sunday November 18 on NBC

skateluvr

Record Breaker
TEB Ladies and Mens Coverage EST 2-4pm NBC. Then Family Show (as listed on Heather's page) from 4-6 pm EST NBC Check your local listings. I have no idea whose family show---Kristi's maybe? I wish she would still skate-I don't know why she doesn't. I imagine we will see the same folks with kids since the 90's? Anyone know about this show? HMMM Krist has kids, Kulik and Katia maybe with Liza? I'd love to see this kid, she's about 11 and should be quite good with Kulik as her first coach. Eldridge has a baby. Scott of course has quit. Maybe Browning, Jumping Joe still skates. Of course Weiss is likely-it would be great to see Sale Pelletier with son or the Russians like Yagudin. I imagine there will be some regulars people expect-maybe Joannie? Sasha? or Kimmie?

Well any info please post. I hope it is not the vapid holiday stuff. Kerrigan still skates- gee this is 2012 and the 90's folks have a lock on these shows. It'd be nice to see offspring who actually have talent and compete like Liza Kulik. I don't expect to see Johnny, tho family in America is not traditional anymore. I wonder if this is Disson? I wish for pro comps-I hate the same songs-I'm not into holidays anymore. Thank heavens for the GP coverage. I have not seen the men of TEB yet, so...that parts good!

rvi5

On the Ice
TV alert Sunday

The description listed on my cable channel mentions...

Family Skating Tribute

Figure skaters perform with their children in this family-centered show in Atlantic city.
Skaters include Nancy Kerrigan, Ekaterina Gordeeva, and Ilia Kulik. Also: a performance from Jewel.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
If I remember correctly: The taping (last weekend, I think?) of the Disson family show was moved to Phoenix at the last minute -- because of superstorm Sandy's damaging effects on Atlantic City.

Todd Eldredge and his family are among the performers in this Disson show. On Friday morning, the Eldredges skated live at Rockefeller Center on the Today show to promote the Disson broadcast.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, we were a party of about 10 people all psyched for months to attend the Musselman's Family Skating Tribute in Atlantic City, NJ. We totally understand the show not taking place @ Boardwalk Hall in AC, but were hoping that the show would be relocated somewhere in the Mid Atlantic region @ a later date. It was not to be, and we are all heartbroken over that, however we're still looking forward to watching the skaters & their kids skate in this show. My only wish is that Disson and NBC would present a balanced show. I have nothing against Jewel the singer, but the company is Disson Skating and of course we want to see the skaters doing their programs completely.

The segment on Todd & family shown on NBC's Today Show on Friday morning was charming. I don''t have the Youtube video link to it, but it's available (a good friend of mine who's another Todd fan put it up :love:).

Anyway, lots of skating today - TEB (I'm doing my best to stay "unspoiled"). Enjoy (although I wish the competition coverage was still on ABC/ESPN).

Kristi's maybe? I wish she would still skate-I don't know why she doesn't.

Well, she is 41 and a full time mom. Training gets harder, not to mention motivation. We fans have to let her go some day. :cry:

She skated in the Kaleidoscope on Ice show two years ago, for breast cancer research. She did a cute program to "When I'm sixty-four" (was she trying to tell us something? :) )

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Well, she is 41 and a full time mom. Training gets harder, not to mention motivation. We fans have to let her go some day. :cry:

She skated in the Kaleidoscope on Ice show two years ago, for breast cancer research. She did a cute program to "When I'm sixty-four" (was she trying to tell us something? :) )

From what I read a while ago, I think Yamaguchi was at least a host/emcee/whatever for at least one of the two shows that Disson taped last weekend. Off the top of my head, I don't know whether she performed as well.

BTW, aside from her responsibilities as a mom, she recently launched a clothing line (sportswear, I believe). And she is a professional writer (books for kids, plus a lot of blogging, I think?). A woman of many talents. :)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yes, thanks, lulu...tried to record it but something happened....and I always buy Smucker's products and call them up and thank them for their sponsorship, too, and let them know I buy their products. You wanna know what really makes you able to see a skater able to do a tripple axel? Bucks. Cubic bucks. And some of those bucks comes from Sponsorships. And those sponsors want to know they are having an effect with their bucks....let them know.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
TEB is underway. It was great to see Florent so happy, and do his quad S in the free skate. And Great to have Jeremy in ist after the SP. It was great-on youtube!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I loved Jeremy's SP-it was perfect. And I love this LP to Les Miz-if he jumped better, he could be on the world podium for sure. His music touches me. Les Mis is the best show I have seen on TV or stage. I love his heart and musicality-at 28 it has to happen this year. Gao is amazing! Harvard focus seems to have freed her. Interesting it works for her-school and skating-wish Flatt had the same experience, but each reacts different.

brightphoton

Medalist
ARGH I HATE THIS

I loved Eliza Tukt's free program when I first watched it online, but hearing Tara Lipinski talk throughout her program about herself just kills it.
"I love how determined she is. You know, like me when I was competing."
"She has a laser-like focus. She's so determined."
"She's so determined and she's fighting for every jump. I always fought for jumps when I was competing."

Edit: What is this "commentary" and I'm being very generous with the definition. Are Tara and Terry skating commentators or the skater's personal armchair psychologist?

"Ashley is a new skater now. Moving west to legend John Nicks really did her good."
"She was the almost skater, but she completely changed her training regimen and she's a totally new skater."
"That is a good score. Look John Nicks is applauding. So is Ashley. She should be applauding.

What asinine comments. I didn't hear anything about the jumps, or spins, or footwork, or anything of value. No wonder no one understands figure skating if those two are our ambassadors. Not to mention, it's really hard to hear the music or concentrate on the skaters over the incessant chatter! I can't think of a single redeeming quality. I can't watch this TV spot any more.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Aw, they just showed a nice moment with Elizaveta and Ashley congratulating each other.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yes, that was a nice moment....however, this is not a nice moment....NBC Spokane is not doing the Family skating special...they are showing boys dribbling in their shorts instead....:disapp:
Chris who is not a basketball fan. (But who is an Ashley fan!)

lulu

Final Flight
Yes, that was a nice moment....however, this is not a nice moment....NBC Spokane is not doing the Family skating special...they are showing boys dribbling in their shorts instead....:disapp:
Chris who is not a basketball fan. (But who is an Ashley fan!)

Hopefully the show will end up on youtube in the next few days.

emma

Record Breaker
I love Tara L in many ways, but really have to agree with the poster above, her commentating just left me wanting to mute the volume. I really prefer set up and postmortem, with commentators maybe calling elements and the occasional gasp or gush for something unexpected, unusual or just brilliant.

Do you know who commentated for the men?

lulu

Final Flight
I love Tara L in many ways, but really have to agree with the poster above, her commentating just left me wanting to mute the volume. I really prefer set up and postmortem, with commentators maybe calling elements and the occasional gasp or gush for something unexpected, unusual or just brilliant.

Do you know who commentated for the men?

Peter C. and Terry?