Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: US TV Alert - Sunday November 18 on NBC

Custom Title
    thanks tonichelle re: Weiss...I couldn't quite place his voice and as cooking while watching, so couldn't hear everything either. What I did hear, I liked - seems like a good commentator. I have special fondness for Gannon, but wish he and Tara had a better approach than what I heard this time (especially the chatter over the skates).

Quote Originally Posted by emma View Post
    thanks tonichelle re: Weiss...I couldn't quite place his voice and as cooking while watching, so couldn't hear everything either. What I did hear, I liked - seems like a good commentator. I have special fondness for Gannon, but wish he and Tara had a better approach than what I heard this time (especially the chatter over the skates).
    I'm pleasantly surprised how much I like Weiss' commentary. He was always a power jumper in his day, so I thought he would have more of a bias toward those who do quads and fail to note the PCS side of the system.

But now, he's actually quite good at noting how PCS plays in that skater's score. Of course he clearly appreciate the quads, but that's not the only thing he notes. He also does a good job explaining why a skater gets or misses a jump.

I'm really disappointed in Tara this season. When she was commentating on Universal Sports a few seasons back, I thought she was quite good -- not sure what the deal is now.

Mike really embraced the CoP when he was skatiing. He understands it enough to make his commentary spot on.

His skating programs wouldve been better if he didnt just use his wife all the time as choreographer.

Down With It
    I think Gannon talks too much/his comments are irrelevant to the action happening on the ice. Save the tidbits and factoids for AFTER the skate is finished (or before the skate begins), please...

I'm really disappointed in Tara this season. When she was commentating on Universal Sports a few seasons back, I thought she was quite good -- not sure what the deal is now.
    Agreed. Either she should get her act together or maybe they should find someone else...

“Our blade takes us in the most amazing places.” skatingfan4ever's Avatar
    I still love Terry Gannon, but he talks A LOT more than he used to and asks Tara A LOT of chit-chatty questions during the programs, so it's not entirely Tara's fault. I like Michael Weiss as a commentator a lot more than Peter Carruthers. I hope Weiss does the rest of the Men's GP events for NBC.

Terry may be getting notes from his boss saying to talk more. All their commentators are far more chatty than other networks

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by emma View Post
    IMO Terry Gannon is the only commentator we've had in many years who truly appreciates the athleticism of figure skaters and has developed a great deal of respect for the skaters (remember the horrid days of Al Trautwig and some of his very bored pals?) I don't recall Terry being so chatty in the past. Maybe he felt as tho' he needed to "fill the air" since Tara wasn't saying much during each skater's programs (other than commenting on the jumps). I'd like to hear a commentator talk more about the in-betweens (or the glaring lack of the in-betweens) for example. Tara seemed to do a better job back in Torino. I really enjoyed listening to Michael Weiss and hope he'll take over for Scott in the (very) near future.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan4ever View Post
    I still love Terry Gannon, but he talks A LOT more than he used to and asks Tara A LOT of chit-chatty questions during the programs, so it's not entirely Tara's fault. I like Michael Weiss as a commentator a lot more than Peter Carruthers. I hope Weiss does the rest of the Men's GP events for NBC.
    That's what I noticed that Terry was asking Tara questions and what is she supposed to do shhhh him?? I like Tara & Michael's voices. I also like it when the commentator says what jump the skater just did. Although I know some of the jumps sometimes unless I'm concentrating I miss which jump they did like the flip or lutz.

Anyone have thoughts on the commentators for Universal Sports (namely Tanith for Dance or whoever it is for pairs?)

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Terry may be getting notes from his boss saying to talk more. All their commentators are far more chatty than other networks
    Yes, I strongly agree with Toni that Gannon and Lipinksi are following marching orders from the NBC producers.
    If they want less talking, it's up to the producers to get the talent on board.

Medalist
    Anyone have thoughts on the commentators for Universal Sports (namely Tanith for Dance or whoever it is for pairs?)

I think Tanith is very good on the whole. She clearly understands dance scoring, an arcane subject for the average fan, and I think she does a good job of communicating as much as you can reasonably expect while a dance is ongoing. For example, she seems to know - in real time - if errors have been made in the compulsory section of a SD, which is really hard for a fan to detect, especially on TV. (Fans other than the redoubtable Doris Pulaski, that is.)

I know that some question whether she is - or can reasonably be expected to be - neutral when commenting on a performance involving Charlie White. It's a fair question. I think as long as she or her co-commentator discloses her situation during the telecast, so that viewers understand she might have a natural reason for bias in that particular case, it's okay. She is a good and genuinely knowledgeable commentator and I'd rather she not be disqualified for that reason.

Almost all commentators, even the best, are apt to have one sort of bias or other - usually nationalistic. I find you have to take every body's commentary with at least a small grain of salt.
    Last edited by LauraV; 11-19-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Peter Carruthers does pairs and men for most Universal Sports broadcasts.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraV View Post
    I think Tanith is very good on the whole. ...

I know that some question whether she is - or can reasonably be expected to be - neutral when commenting on a performance involving Charlie White. It's a fair question. I think as long as she or her co-commentator discloses her situation during the telecast, so that viewers understand she might have a natural reason for bias in that particular case, it's okay. She is a good and genuinely knowledgeable commentator and I'd rather she not be disqualified for that reason.

Almost all commentators, even the best, are apt to have one sort of bias or other - usually nationalistic. I find you have to take every body's commentary with at least a small grain of salt.
    Don't forget that Belbin's extreme conflict of interest remains when she is commenting on ice dancers other than White.
    Anything she says could influence perception of the strengths and weaknesses of White's rivals, and indirectly could put White in a more favorable light by comparison. Hardly a shining example of sports journalism at its finest.
    Belbin does not seem like someone who would intentionally abuse her platform, but I think she should recuse herself from commentary on ice dance until White has ended his competitive career. Disclosing her relationship with White once per broadcast is better than nothing, but it does not magically render her free of subconscious bias.
    NBC gave Belbin some sort of on-camera role for the London Olympics. (I believe that she was on its Sports Network, to which I do not have access.) If she has been bitten by the broadcasting bug, I hope that she will have more opportunities unrelated to ice dance.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Don't forget that Belbin's extreme conflict of interest remains when she is commenting on ice dancers other than White.
    Anything she says could influence perception of the strengths and weaknesses of White's rivals, and indirectly could put White in a more favorable light by comparison. Hardly a shining example of sports journalism at its finest.
    Belbin does not seem like someone who would intentionally abuse her platform, but I think she should recuse herself from commentary on ice dance until White has ended his competitive career. Disclosing her relationship with White once per broadcast is better than nothing, but it does not magically render her free of subconscious bias.
    NBC gave Belbin some sort of on-camera role for the London Olympics. (I believe that she was on its Sports Network, to which I do not have access.) If she has been bitten by the broadcasting bug, I hope that she will have more opportunities unrelated to ice dance.
    I have to say I agree as well. I was asking about Tanith from a pure commentary standpoint, but I do agree that she has a huge conflict of interest. In most media outlets, such a conflict of interest would be prohibited. Maybe Ice Network can hire her to do the lower-level Ice Dance competitions? Or perhaps she can be used to explain certain aspects of Ice Dance? (How a pattern works, whatever). But I agree that it's not a good idea to have her directly commentating on the dances themselves of a competitive field that includes her boyfriend.

I don't think she's overly biased against D/W's competitors, though, she seems to like a lot of the team and is able to point out strengths and weaknesses without comparing everyone to D/W

Even if she was, though, that would play into the NBC style of broadcasting. USA above all others!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast