???s re qualifying for Nationals | Golden Skate

???s re qualifying for Nationals

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I've noticed the last few years that there have been a huge amount of entrants in the men's and women's fields at the Canadian Nationals and they even have qualifying rounds. Do they not have Regional and/or Sectional competitions in Canada anymore? How do so many qualify for the nationals there? I've been wondering about this for a couple of years now.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
JonnyCoop said:
I've noticed the last few years that there have been a huge amount of entrants in the men's and women's fields at the Canadian Nationals and they even have qualifying rounds. Do they not have Regional and/or Sectional competitions in Canada anymore? How do so many qualify for the nationals there? I've been wondering about this for a couple of years now.

No. Last year, SkateCanada voted to eliminate regionals/sectionals in favour of a qualifying round. It helps them prepare for worlds...

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
Greetings all,

Actually, thisthingcalledlove, you are incorrect. Canada still holds regionals and sectionals prior to Nationals.

Regionals were held in Mid October, and the top 10 in each region advanced to Sectionals. Sectionals were held the beginning of November. From Junior level down, the top 4 from each section advanced to the next round, the Eastern Canadian and Western Canadian Challenge. I am not positive how many advance to Nationals from there.

Canada has had such a decline in Ladies and Men's competitive skaters, that quite often, Sections will have very few skaters at the Senior Level. Just to give you an idea:

Senior Ladies Entries at Regional/Sectional level:

BC - 6
AB - 4
SK - 1
MB - 0
NO - 1
WO - 6
CO - 8 (sent top 5 to Nationals)
QU - 4
NB - 0
NS - 1
PE - 0
NF - 0

It is my understanding that the reason Skate Canada uses the Q rounds is they want our skaters to follow the same format as is used for Worlds.

I am not sure how the American system works exactly, but i think it is very sad that in all of Canada, we have less than 30 Ladies who compete at the Senior Level.

Canuck