Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: One hit wonder coaches

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    The first coach to come to mind was actually Slutskaya's coach. I believe that slutskaya is the only one who reached their peak success while being coached by her.
    Well, there was this chick, wearing this dress.

Since she never did anything in seniors -- and as far as I know did not move to another coach before retiring -- one could say she reached her peak success with that junior world medal.

Custom Title
    OMG...Robin Wagner.
    Last edited by lavender; 11-20-2012 at 03:43 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Good to hear. Didnt he and Thomas completely break off any relationship or contact after the 88 Worlds.

Linda Leaver is a great one. Cant believe I didnt think of her. Definitely a one hit coaching wonder.

Laura Galindo as well for sure, but was she even Rudy's real coach.

Suzanne Bonaly was a terrible coach, Surya's success had absolutely nothing to do with her I am sure. Definitely a one hit coaching wonder though.

Priscilla Hill seems to have coached a large number of decent skaters.
    I agree that this is a really interesting thread. Everyone's mentioned anyone I could think of—notably Robin Wagner and Linda Leaver. Drivingmissdaisy, Suzanne Bonaly is such a witty addition to the list that I almost laughed out loud, and I'm at the office. Poor Surya; one wonders what kind of skater she would have been with a real coach to make her extend her limbs and skate on the actual edge, not the flat of the skate....Well, she still ended up with more World medals than someone like Angela Nikodinov, whose skills were gorgeous, so she didn't lose out too seriously.

Wait a minute...wasn't Denise Biellmann coached by her mother? (With far better results than Surya, might I add.) Even if I'm remembering correctly, I don't know whether Mrs. Biellmann coached anyone else.
    Last edited by Olympia; 11-20-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Come to think of it, didn't Michelle list her dad, Danny Kwan, as her coach for a while after she dropped Frank? She also had Scott Williams for a while.

Rogue Leader
    Michelle did list her Dad, but I don't think his official title was coach. I think he was listed as support. Scott Williams coached Michelle for a season and I haven't heard from him since then.

Didn't Hill also have Gregory&Petukhov at the end of their career?

Not a huge "success" but Charlene Wong had Amber Corwin and I haven't seen her since.

Shae-Lynn Bourne had Weaver&Poje but seems to have moved on from coaching.

Rochette also had Sebastien Britten for a year and I haven't seen him since.

Kurt and Michael Jyranik (know I butchered that spelling).

I am also curious about big time coaches that have seemed to disappear, namely Dough Leigh and Natalia Dubova.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    i think its detrimental how most lower-level skaters tend to change coaches every few years, if not more often that that are usually take from more than one primary coach. About 70% of the skaters I skated with with took from multiple coaches in a week, and then would move on entirely to another rink and another set of coaches. I think there is something to be said from consistency...

Charlene Wong coached Mirai Nagasu for two years when she had that success as a junior and her first year as a senior before Mirai went to Frank Carroll.
    Last edited by Tinymavy15; 11-20-2012 at 07:55 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Antilles View Post
    Michelle did list her Dad, but I don't think his official title was coach. I think he was listed as support. Scott Williams coached Michelle for a season and I haven't heard from him since then.

Didn't Hill also have Gregory&Petukhov at the end of their career?

Not a huge "success" but Charlene Wong had Amber Corwin and I haven't seen her since.

Rochette also had Sebastien Britten for a year and I haven't seen him since.

Kurt and Michael Jyranik (know I butchered that spelling).

I am also curious about big time coaches that have seemed to disappear, namely Dough Leigh and Natalia Dubova.
    Yes what happened to natalia dubova?

Also Muriel Boucher zazoui

Danny Kwan....

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Dubova is still living in Connecticut, USA, and coaching in the Stamford area. In fact, two of her junior skaters are doing surprisingly well this season, especially since they are not from a big federation,
    Cagla Demiral & Berk Akalin from Turkey! Dubova coaches them along with Oleg Voiko.

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013068.htm
    You will note that they won Ice Challenge at Graz in Juniors, and were fifth in Juniors at NRW Trophy.

It looks like they have another year of junior eligibility too.

Their FD at Graz.

At the end, you can see Dubova in the KnC, if I am not mistaken
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O604-Q8nhf4
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 11-22-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Just an average girl

Charlene Wong coached Mirai Nagasu to her U.S. title. That's a pretty big deal. No idea who she's coaching at the moment.

Shae-Lynn Bourne still works with Weaver and Poje, but not as their primary coach. She recently had a baby. She's more focused on choreography these days, but still does some coaching.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2