Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Live Thoughts from TEB

Loving all the details - thank you for the report! I'm so glad it all lived up to expectations, and that you had a lovely time. And thanks for the Brian stuff especially - makes me go "Awww!" and at the same time feel envious - but in a feel-good-way; I'm so glad to be able to share your experiences - so thanks again. And looking forward to more to come, of course.

Congrats on being bitten by the "live skating bug" now you will never ever get enough of it!

I've been one of those that threw something and hit a judge. I had the better throwing arm in my group so it was my job to throw to everyone's fav. One of the stuffed animals were way way way too light and i couldnt get it to the ice. So embarrassing.

Custom Title
    Thank you so much for the great report, Macassar88!
    As always, it's so nice to hear 'live thoughts' from someone who actually attended competitions!

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    It's true! Skaters who made great memories for me at live events always hold a special place in my heart!
    Skaters who made an impression on me at my first live event are my forever favs
    I so agree with you, doris!

Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    So I quickly realized how much cooler everything looks live.
    Welcome to the real 'deep' figure skating world.
    That's what happended to me. Nerves, joys, excitements...there is nothing like watching competitions LIVE. Once you get to go and see them, you want to get to see them more!
    Last edited by deedee1; 11-20-2012 at 02:12 PM.

So the next installment - ladies SP
    I gave Polina a standing ovation - she was amazing live and skated a clean SP - I was beyond shocked. (Of course we all know that she took all the mistakes she should have made in the SP and moved them to the FS... but I didn't know that at the time.) Also, she had the nicest dress of the night - everyone I talked to agreed. She was definitely undermarked - especially considering that she was behind Meite... Polina's expressiveness was much better than I expected considering that on TV she's quite elegant and beautiful but doesn't always show musicality.

Tuk seemed like she was focusing on not falling rather than being expressive. I'm really happy to have seen her tango program though - it suits her much better than love story especially since she always gets choreography that involves her frantically moving her arms around regardless of what the music is doing. Still, her jumps are huge! I was admiring them throughout the entire warmup as well. Such beautiful technique! Someone who I met at the rink who was there last year as well said that she's gotten much faster - still seemed a bit slow around the rink though.

As expected, people were oohing and aahing at all of Julia's flexibility elements. Also, live her program didn't seem as frenetic as it had in the past. Got a couple of funny looks from people when I started clapping during her layover camel spin in the combo - I just think it's beautiful! (Although it does look better on TV since live, you can't necessarily tell that she's not in a normal camel position)

Ashley was great - she sold the heck out of that performance! I kind of wish she used that music as a free skate though - it's beautiful. Also, felt like it would have been nice with a little more build toward the end. I kept waiting for the build and suddenly the program was over!

more to come!

Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    Thank you so much for the great report, Macassar88!
    As always, it's so nice to hear 'live thoughts' from someone who actually attended competitions!
    Welcome to the real 'deep' figure skating world.
    That's what happended to me. Nerves, joys, excitements...there is nothing like watching competitions LIVE. Once you get to go and see them, you want to get to see them more!
    ITA about getting the bug - I've been back for a bit more than a day and I still smile whenever I think of my time there. And I really want to see more live skating! I have decided that I will be attending US nationals in 2014 (and hopefully canadian nationals or skate canada so I can see Tessa and Scott!)

Also Doris, I am jealous that you got to meet so many greats of the past! Hopefully some of the skaters I met will become greats of the future! And meeting the skaters totally made the experience even better than I had expected (and I had hyped it up to epic proportions). Like seeing Jeremy live and then meeting him made me a fan even though I hadn't been that interested in him previously.

Also just to make you guys even more jealous, here's a list of skaters/coaches/choreographers I got photos with or of:

Brian Joubert
    Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier - (I'll talk more about it later, but they must be two of the nicest skaters out there!)
    Pechalat and Bourzat
    Cappellini and Lanotte
    Duhamel and Radford
    Riazanova and Tkachenko
    Kavaguti and Smirnov
    Mura
    Verner
    Meite
    James and Cipres
    Papadakis (she and Cizeron did the gala)
    Igor Shpilband
    Lipnitskaya
    Tuktamisheva
    Wagner
    Abbott
    Pasquale Camerlengo
    Guerriero
    Zlobina and Sitnikov
    Stefania Berton
    Morozov
    Joshi Helgesson
    Popova
    Carron and Jones

Oh and did I mention I got a picture with Brian Joubert?

Also just to make you guys even more jealous, here's a list of skaters/coaches/choreographers I got photos with or of:

Brian Joubert
    Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier - (I'll talk more about it later, but they must be two of the nicest skaters out there!)
    Pechalat and Bourzat
    Cappellini and Lanotte
    Duhamel and Radford
    Riazanova and Tkachenko
    Kavaguti and Smirnov
    Mura
    Verner
    Meite
    James and Cipres
    Papadakis (she and Cizeron did the gala)
    Igor Shpilband
    Lipnitskaya
    Tuktamisheva
    Wagner
    Abbott
    Pasquale Camerlengo
    Guerriero
    Zlobina and Sitnikov
    Stefania Berton
    Morozov
    Joshi Helgesson
    Popova
    Carron and Jones

Oh and did I mention I got a picture with Brian Joubert?
    So, you have a photo with practically every TEB competitor? Lucky you!!

Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    So, you have a photo with practically every TEB competitor? Lucky you!!
    Wanted to get a pic with Volchkova and Korobeynikova as well, but maybe next time?

Wanted to get a pic with Volchkova and Korobeynikova as well, but maybe next time?
    I'll go to Euros in Zagreb () so I'll try to beat your record, possibly! It must be so difficult, finding all of them and asking for photos/autographs, because an ice rink is really big (I have already been to figure skating big competitions/galas, so I remember how difficult it has been getting a Caro's autograph!)

I'll go to Euros in Zagreb () so I'll try to beat your record, possibly! It must be so difficult, finding all of them and asking for photos/autographs, because an ice rink is really big (I have already been to figure skating big competitions/galas, so I remember how difficult it has been getting a Caro's autograph!)
    Good luck! And it wasn't that bad - basically I waited by the main skaters exit for an hour or so after each section was over.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I'll go to Euros in Zagreb so I'll try to beat your record, possibly! It must be so difficult, finding all of them and asking for photos/autographs, because an ice rink is really big (I have already been to figure skating big competitions/galas, so I remember how difficult it has been getting a Caro's autograph!)
    I ll go to Euros as well, but it is sure I wont beat this record, I m awful at asking anything and it will be freezing, but I have a pic with Plushy and Jouby from Tallinn

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    I ll go to Euros as well, but it is sure I wont beat this record, I m awful at asking anything and it will be freezing, but I have a pic with Plushy and Jouby from Tallinn
    Both in the same picture?! But. no, that would be too good to be true.... ?

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    I almost got Nan Song, Hao Zhang and Cheng Peng, but I got distracted by Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford who were much closer and not seemingly sprinting away from the rink. Was thinking of asking Tutberidze, but she seemed really uncomfortable even standing around waiting for Julia to finish signing autographs.

Custom Title
    It's so great that you had such a good time! And, that's quite the list of photos!! Very cool!

Dance Impressions - Gilles and Poirier opened the SD. I thought that they were a lot of fun. They're such a good looking team as well! Also, Piper's top looks better live than it does on TV because you can't really see the lacey stuff on her shoulders/neck area. I felt like they were underscored though. For all the flack they get for her not being at the same level as him, they are still great performers IMO.
    Generally though, I was underwhelmed. I felt like so much of the choreography was done directly at the judges that it made it difficult for everyone else to enjoy it at the same level as they might on TV. Also, I hated Zlobina and Sitnikov's outfits - they looked really cheap. Riazanova and Tkachenko found a way to look like they had been taken right out of the 20's in the worst possible way... I mean, really? Putting Ilia in mauve? Also, Ekaterina Pushkash's dress looked like it was a hello kitty dress
    Also, I was really surprised that Krylova wasn't there since two of her teams were competing. I guess she's working with Weaver and Poje and the other 12947 teams she has in Detroit.
    Pechalat and Bourzat's lift was the ultimate crotch lift from my position. Maybe something they should think about in the future? But I guess it's better than her flashing the judges (although there is a lot of underwear play going on in that SD)
    I was giggling during Carron and Jones' SD. All the OTT sounds were quite funny.
    Surprisingly no one in the crowd clapped after footwork or even pattern dances. They didn't even clap for most of the twizzle sequences.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast