IceNetWork on TV? | Golden Skate

IceNetWork on TV?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I am going to get a small laptop computer or more likly a 10 in tablet computer for XMAS.
Now I see that even the $85 to $140 tablet computers that run off of WiFi have a mini HDMI output so you
can download movies, play games, etc and see them on your home TV.

Has anyone tried this and watched Icenetwork using the HDMI cable from their laptop/tablet to their home TV and how does it look?

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
As long as your TV is good, the picture looks great. :) I have a lot of TV shows and movies saved on a removable hard drive and whenever I want to watch them at home, I hook my laptop up to my TV...you can do the same thing with Netflix or Hulu if you don't have a Blu-ray player with Wi-fi...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
You have to use an intermediary on a Kindle Fire (like a Playstation3), but it works well.
I have no problem watching IN on Kindle Fire without the TV ;)

Ipads are tricky because IN is not the right video format for them. IN is Adobe Flashplayer. You may have to do some annoying work arounds

Be aware, that some TVs are better about showing streaming video (either from laptops or tablets) than others. Have a look at the back of your TV and see what inputs you have before going for this.

FSU had a thread about people's problems trying to watch IN from different tablets:
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?81816-Icenetwork-streaming-on-a-tablet

I don't understand half of what you all said, and if I had any of those devices, I wouldn't know how to operate them. You can get IceNetWork on TV? How does one do that?

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I don't understand half of what you all said, and if I had any of those devices, I wouldn't know how to operate them. You can get IceNetWork on TV? How does one do that?

If you have some sort of computer/other internet capable device, that has an HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) output, you can hook the computer/device to a TV using an HDMI cable.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks Doris! Good link. I think the answer might be summed up as follows. Please correct me.
If you have a modern laptop with an HDMI output, You will have Adobe Flash and be able to sit the laptop next to your TV, hook up an HDMI cable between the lap top and your 42 in Sony Brava TV and watch icenetwork.
If you are using an inexpensive tablet (Olympia, a inexpensive tablet is nothing more than a minimulist computer without a hard drive that mostly runs Android 4.0 for an operating system and connects only via WiFi to the wireless router in your house, McDonalds, hotel, whereever) that tablet must have
a way to have Adobe flash on it or whatever IN needs to run on any computer.
A fly in the ointment is that I think there is a tablet comming out running the Windows 8 op system, which should be able to let you download and run Adobe Flash player.

This tells me I need to visit my local friendly BestBuy or Staples and start the learning curve.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
One correction: a number of TVs are just not good at this stuff. Panasonic not so good. Samsung good. Don't know about Sony.

And don't forget to check youtube for a how to.

Here's one (I don't vouch for this one)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_MGLo6W-xA
Thanks Doris.....I see there are other you tube vids on this issue.....
Check this machine out.....
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/11/19/ipad-alternative-new-200-chromebooks-holiday-hit/
It also looks like a number of machines have an audio issue that you have to learn the keystrokes to beat...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=httuIXjGz0Y&feature=related

Last edited:

JimboC518

Rinkside
Hey guys I just got the kindle fire 8.9 HD and was wondering on how to get icenetwork vids to work. All I get is a blue screen

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I have the older Kindlefire, and it still will play IN (I just checked with the GPF). It does require a decent speed internet connection of course, as for any streaming application. I would use WiFi rather than 3G or 4G, if you have those options..

The old fire wouldn't play IN without me changing the settings, as follows:

Go to Web (from top toolbar)

A bottom tool bar pops up that has in addition to the Home (little house) and back page (left arrow) has a Menu button (box with 3 lines in it) and a white vertical bar with a chunk out of it on the bottom (your bookmark list)

Pick Menu
From Menu, pick Settings.

There are several pages of settings you can scroll through and set.
I have the following on:

Autofit to page
Load images
Accept cookies
Enable Flash Always
Enable Javascript
Never block popups

IN uses Flashplayer and Javascript
It also uses cookies & popups in its ads and if you disable them, it won't run.

I don't know whether this works differently on the new Fire. Give it a try though. It might work.

The old default was to have cookies, popups, flash & java OFF.

BTW, if you can get youtube to play, you should be able to get IN, with the right settings.

JimboC518

Rinkside
I have the older Kindlefire, and it still will play IN (I just checked with the GPF). It does require a decent speed internet connection of course, as for any streaming application. I would use WiFi rather than 3G or 4G, if you have those options..

The old fire wouldn't play IN without me changing the settings, as follows:

Go to Web (from top toolbar)

A bottom tool bar pops up that has in addition to the Home (little house) and back page (left arrow) has a Menu button (box with 3 lines in it) and a white vertical bar with a chunk out of it on the bottom (your bookmark list)

Pick Menu
From Menu, pick Settings.

There are several pages of settings you can scroll through and set.
I have the following on:

Autofit to page
Load images
Accept cookies
Enable Flash Always
Enable Javascript
Never block popups

IN uses Flashplayer and Javascript
It also uses cookies & popups in its ads and if you disable them, it won't run.

I don't know whether this works differently on the new Fire. Give it a try though. It might work.

The old default was to have cookies, popups, flash & java OFF.

BTW, if you can get youtube to play, you should be able to get IN, with the right settings.

I got it working by downloading the Dolphin browser but I get into playing it and freezes at times when I watch it. Plus it wont let me fast forward lol