Grand prix final predictions? | Golden Skate

Grand prix final predictions?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
With one event left before the final, who do you predict lands on podiums?

Wagner surely will take gold -your podium predictions

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Ladies:
1-Wagner
2-Asada/Tuk if she nails everything and Mao not
3-Tuk/Lip if they pull it together

Men:
1-Chan
2-Yuzuru can upset
3-Daisuke

Pairs:
1-V/T
2-Russians or Canadians,i.e. K/S or D/R
3-K/S or D/R

Dance:
1-D/W
2-V/M
3-B/S or Italian pair..

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Pairs:

1. Volosozhar & Trankov
2. Pang & Tong
3. Duhamel & Radford

Men:

1. Hanyu
2. Chan
3. Takahashi

Dance:

1. Virtue & Moir
2. Davis & White
3. Pechalat & Bourzat

Ladies:

1. Wagner
2. Lipnitskaya
3. Korpi

Layfan

Record Breaker
Wow. Ashley going in as the one to beat! She's never been in that position before.

I don't know how to predict. But I hope Ashley, Mao and Akiko are on the podium.

SkatingWizard

Spectator
Wagner
Asada
Tuktmysheva

Chan
Hanyu
Takahashi
(but I'm on the fence about Fernandez getting on the podium...ice is slippery)

VT
PT
DR

DW
VM
PB

badknees

Medalist
I love Ashley and I hope she wins. But I hope she doesn't read this board. It could put way too much pressure on her.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Men

1 Hanyu
2 Chan
3 Takahashi

Ladies

1 Wagner
2 Lipnitskaya
3 Suzuki

Pairs

1 Volosozhar/Trankov
2 Pang/Tong
3 Bazarova/Larionov

Ice Dance

1 Davis/White
2 Virtue/Moir
3 Pechalat/Bourzat

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
I think people are really lowballing B/L in pairs based on what's happened this season. IMO if they stay on their feet (unless P/T really pull it together) they are pretty much a lock for silver. Whether they *deserve* the high scores they've been getting is a different question.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I think people are really lowballing B/L in pairs based on what's happened this season. IMO if they stay on their feet (unless P/T really pull it together) they are pretty much a lock for silver. Whether they *deserve* the high scores they've been getting is a different question.

exactly why B/L are on my Top 3 list, I still cannot believe though they are scoring higher than Kavaguti-Smirnov
my worst nightmare would be they will be overtaking Kavaguti/Smrnov as Russian No.2 and its happening, they have been ridiculously overscored :unsure:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

Pang & Tong will definitely score higher in the short program unless they make an unusual miss, and when it comes to the LP P/T can make mistakes and still match B/L's score with a clean skate.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
exactly why B/L are on my Top 3 list, I still cannot believe though they are scoring higher than Kavaguti-Smirnov
my worst nightmare would be they will be overtaking Kavaguti/Smrnov as Russian No.2 and its happening, they have been ridiculously overscored :unsure:

The Russian federation probably feel Kavaguti & Smirnov have already maxed out their potential and are now moving on to supporting others. While I would expect Voloszhar & Trankov to continue to 2018, if they win gold in Sochi (and I think there is a very good chance they will) they might just not, and if they dont they will really need Barazova & Larionov so might as well push to make them a World medal contender now.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
The Russian federation probably feel Kavaguti & Smirnov have already maxed out their potential and are now moving on to supporting others. While I would expect Voloszhar & Trankov to continue to 2018, if they win gold in Sochi (and I think there is a very good chance they will) they might just not, and if they dont they will really need Barazova & Larionov so might as well push to make them a World medal contender now.

B/L overtaking K/S is still I don't get, while K/S may have had their peak its not like they are on a dire need for B/L
they have younger pairs than can be good also technically like S/K whose jumps are not tiiny tiny as of Bazarova's, M/R just needs more experience
they can even pluck one from their younger juniors like F/M

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
B/L overtaking K/S is still I don't get, while K/S may have had their peak its not like they are on a dire need for B/L
they have younger pairs than can be good also technically like S/K whose jumps are not tiiny tiny as of Bazarova's, M/R just needs more experience
they can even pluck one from their younger juniors like F/M

I agree and B/L have a long history of bombing at the big events, especialy when they have a chance to medal like the 2011 GP final and 2012 Worlds anyway. However TPTB apparently have decided differently and are promoting them, I guess they are feeling they are their best option of a backup for Sochi in the event V/T shockingly bomb or get injured, and their best hope for a 2nd medal in Sochi.

doctor2014

On the Ice
For those of you who are predicting Hanyu will win silver or even gold at GPF, well, he’s staying in Sendai alone without a coach until GPF, while Orser will only coach Javier in Toronto. I rarely see anyone doing well when he/she prepares for major events without a coach, so I’m not expecting Hanyu to skate his SP well at GPF, and he could actually be off podium.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Hanyu seems to have a large margin of error on both Takahashi and Fernandez right now. The SP is the key for him. If he skates a clean SP he will be unbeatable by all in that phase probably, including Chan, and will have such a lead on Takahashi and Fernandez he will be almost guaranteed atleast silver.

doctor2014

On the Ice
Hanyu seems to have a large margin of error on both Takahashi and Fernandez right now. The SP is the key for him. If he skates a clean SP he will be unbeatable by all in that phase probably, including Chan, and will have such a lead on Takahashi and Fernandez he will be almost guaranteed atleast silver.
But without a coach preparing Hanyu for the GPF I don’t think he will be able to skate a clean SP again at GPF. I think Patrick and Daisuke are locks for gold and silver. As for bronze perhaps you should predict Javier? since he will have Orser’s full attention preparing him for the GPF, and I’m expecting him to do well there. And don’t forget Kozuka who beat Hanyu at SA.