Asada to use triple Axel later this season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Asada to use triple Axel later this season

babayaga

On the Ice
3F+3T? I think 3F+3Lo would be better: considering that is very probable that she'll often get a < whatever she tries of these two, the 3F+3Lo BV is higher
That was what she said. This makes sense for the short program because her favorite solo jump is 3Loop so doing 3F3T will allow her to keep 3Loop out of steps. Doing 3F3L means she'll have to do either 3Lutz or 3Sal - both she is inconsistent with or 3T. I don't think she can do any 3-3 fully rotated now, but my point was that this is what she is working on at the moment. 3 Axel is what journalists want to talk about.

Tanja90

On the Ice
well i think the issue she had with her jumps at COC are due to her being 3 month short of practice, so i am not worried about that. after seeing all the beautiful 3A she attempted at 2012 worlds practice, i am really looking forward to see her deliver them in competition again!
In all those trainings I have seen just a clean 3a and was in the warm-up of the short..and even there I cannot say if it was fully rotated or not....and even if it was clean it was one out of like 40 attempts....plus with the knew rules judges are more severe with UR
I don't think the game's worth the candle....I would really love to see her 3a again but I doubt it...

We were lucky to see her do three in the last Olympics. It will be awhile before we see that again from anyone. I just hope she can become dependable in her other jumps so that we can enjoy all aspects of her gorgeous skating and collect more photos of her at the top of the World podium.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
We were lucky to see her do three in the last Olympics. It will be awhile before we see that again from anyone. I just hope she can become dependable in her other jumps so that we can enjoy all aspects of her gorgeous skating and collect more photos of her at the top of the World podium.

:)

gmyers

Record Breaker
In all those trainings I have seen just a clean 3a and was in the warm-up of the short..and even there I cannot say if it was fully rotated or not....and even if it was clean it was one out of like 40 attempts....plus with the knew rules judges are more severe with UR
I don't think the game's worth the candle....I would really love to see her 3a again but I doubt it...

The system is not more severe with ur- it is less severe And even in the less severe atmosphere she can barely do a 3a anyway. It is because the system is so less severe that she could do 3 triples of two kinds in a free skate and win coc.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
I would love to see Asada doing the triple axel again. I think she is very good without it, but she is tremendous with it.

I think it is interesting (and mind you, I have no one specific in mind) that people say things like "Mao should focus on getting her other jumps together and cleanly rotating her other triples," but it is so rare to hear people say "[Any one of 90% of elite international male skaters] should stop trying that quad (since he falls or URs on them basically every time) and get his act together with his other triples."

Hmmm.... ;)

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think it is interesting (and mind you, I have no one specific in mind) that people say things like "Mao should focus on getting her other jumps together and cleanly rotating her other triples," but it is so rare to hear people say "[Any one of 90% of elite international male skaters] should stop trying that quad (since he falls or URs on them basically every time) and get his act together with his other triples."

The problem is she does one triple very well (L) one triple reasonably well (F) and the rest are pretty shaky. Working on the 3A takes time away from working on her other jumps.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
The problem is she does one triple very well (L) one triple reasonably well (F) and the rest are pretty shaky. Working on the 3A takes time away from working on her other jumps.

Sure, I agree. But I think the same could be said of most of the male skaters attempting quads this season. Their triples are falling apart from all the training time they are presumably putting into quads. But on their quads they almost always fall, UR, two-foot, or put their hand down. AND they're not landing their triples well.

(I was really impressed at Jeremy Abbott for not going for a quad in his SP at Eric Bompard, but that is another topic.)

evangeline

Record Breaker
^^^

The difference, I think, is that it is absolutely essential to have a quad if you want to win in the men's event. No doubt about it--just look at the top men's finishers at Worlds last season.

For ladies, however, it's not essential to have a triple axel. Cleanly rotating the other triples is enough to win, and judging by the results at Worlds last year, you don't necessarily even need a full set of them.

Last edited:

joy k.k

Rinkside
I think it's because male skaters need quads to win but Mao doesn't need 3A to win. No other female skater is doing 3A.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
^^^

The difference, I think, is that it is absolutely essential to have a quad if you want to win in the men's event. No doubt about it--just look at the top men's finishers at Worlds last season.

For ladies, however, it's not essential to have a triple axel. Cleanly rotating the other triples is enough to win, and judging by the results at Worlds last year, you don't necessarily even need a full set of them.

I think it may be true that the men need a quad to win the WC or OGM, at this point, given the value of the jump. Maybe. But I think this idea that the men need a quad to be competitive generally has taken on a weird status of "obvious truth" that the evidence does not generally support. We see men medaling and even winning GP and other events all the time the past couple of seasons without attempting or without executing fully-rotated quads. It would be amazing to see what awesome programs some of them could put together if they weren't devoting so much effort and time to the quad. Think of all the positive GOEs they could rack up on other elements.

But, yes, you are right that a woman does not need the triple axel to win. I guess I just think that Mao should, at this point, be aspiring for historical greatness, not just more medals. (ETA: She has, of course, already achieved historical greatness. But I think she should try to get more of that, rather than worrying about more medals. :) )

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I love her for it. This is a sport," Faster, Higher, Stronger". If she will be ready, I hope she will try on competitions. Mao is very pretty in this season, I think she is more stronger than last year. Go Mao, go!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
They were definitely UR

yes very much so. It is very troubling that for all the work that Mao has been putting into correcting her technique, her jumps continue to come up short of rotation. Most of her triples now look borderline if not obviously under rotated and she is missing the great height she used to have. I honestly don't see her landing a clean 3/3 or 3 axel again unless she makes a drastic technique change.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Mao will never have a 3a or a lutz barely a flip barely a loop totally inconsistent, triple toe totally incomsistent. She basically has no triple down at all. Her jumping is terrible and wretched and she's doing nothing to improve them. But it's also the system. She saw kostner she knows jumps are meaningless if you can get 65 pcs about. The ladies who get like 65 Tes or better all have to struggle for good pcs. I think maos jumps are horrible and atrocious and embarrassing to skating but she is winning. Like kostner won. Jumps mean nothing and are nothing now in ladies skating. It needs reform now or Mao will be doing all doubles in her win a worlds because people just love her doubles and spins and steps and skating skills and who cares about dumb triples.

Last edited:

RumbleFish

Rinkside
Mao will never have a 3a or a lutz barely a flip barely a loop totally inconsistent, triple toe totally incomsistent. She basically has no triple down at all. Her jumping is terrible and wretched and she's doing nothing to improve them. But it's also the system. She saw kostner she knows jumps are meaningless if you can get 65 pcs about. The ladies who get like 65 Tes or better all have to struggle for good pcs. I think maos jumps are horrible and atrocious and embarrassing to skating but she is winning. Like kostner won. Jumps mean nothing and are nothing now in ladies skating. It needs reform now or Mao will be doing all doubles in her win a worlds because people just love her doubles and spins and steps and skating skills and who cares about dumb triples.

So what's new?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

eek i think that's taking things a little far. She usually is landing her triples...but they don't have much height and often are under rotated.

hurrah

Medalist
Probably, the doubling is occuring because she is trying to master jumps with a faster entry speed. This is what Mr. Sato said after NHK in an interview:

'We are aiming for big, high-quality jumps without losing any speed on the take off, but past habits tend to make her slow down in order to complete the jump, but this then leads to under-rotation. She knows she absolutely cannot do this, and we are hoping to achieve clean rotations. However, I think we are only halfway there in overcoming this problem. The more your speed increases, less leeway is there for any mistake, so feeling psychological pressure to forcibly maintain speed at all cost is causing her to make mistakes, and what we call a 'flat' (misfire) situation. She may feel that she has got the timing, but her senses are still betraying her at times, and repeated and repeated practice will be necessary for a while longer.'

http://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/clm/othersports/2012/11/26/post_164/index3.php

Last edited: