Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 2012 NHK Ladies Short Program SP

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    Also, if Mirai gets 2nd with 179+ and Akiko gets third, then they both are in and Liza is out, I believe. I forgot if highest score or total score comes first in tiebreaker.
    I understand from what is written in the current Gran Prix standings that the first tie breaker is place, and the second is the sum of the scores (not the best score). In this case Mirai needs more than 184.16 for this event, thus around 123 for her LP. Hmm. As a fan of Tuk, hope it is not gonna happen.
    BTW In recent interviews of Mishin (even after TEB) talks as if Tuk is for sure out of Gran Prix Final, and that it was bad experience for her last year to be in GPF, as it led to the failure in Nationals. I am afraid that she can withdraw. It would be totally stupid I think!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by HR4 View Post
    I understand from what is written in the current Gran Prix standings that the first tie breaker is place, and the second is the sum of the scores (not the best score). In this case Mirai needs more than 184.16 for this event, thus around 123 for her LP. Hmm. As a fan of Tuk, hope it is not gonna happen.
    BTW In recent interviews of Mishin (even after TEB) talks as if Tuk is for sure out of Gran Prix Final, and that it was bad experience for her last year to be in GPF, as it led to the failure in Nationals. I am afraid that she can withdraw. It would be totally stupid I think!
    I believe you are right about the tie breaker, the second tie breaker(after the placements) is the sum of the scores overall, so yeah, Mirai needs a miracle to be in the final since her score at Rostelecom is low. I don't think Liza will withdraw, remember where the final is taking place

Custom Title
    Zijun Li is so lovely! Great job from her. Haven't seen Mao's program yet but happy for her! Go girls and skate clean in the LP!!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirunna View Post
    I believe you are right about the tie breaker, the second tie breaker(after the placements) is the sum of the scores overall, so yeah, Mirai needs a miracle to be in the final since her score at Rostelecom is low. I don't think Liza will withdraw, remember where the final is taking place
    Oh yeah! You are right, Sochi is not a place to withdraw for Russians I guess)

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Almost 68 points for Asada with no 3-3 and skating to a Junior program? This program would have been fine for her back in 2005 but not now.
    I don't agree with you. She just makes us to think that this program is easy but it's not.
    Look at this

Base value

Mao asada 29.31
    Mirai Nagasu 28.53
    Zijun Li 28.73
    Ksenia Makarova 26.70
    Akiko Suzuki 24.83
    Elene Gedevanishivili 26.83
    Agnes Zawadzki 26.43
    Sofia Biryukova 26.10
    Haruka Imai 25.54

And,her skating got much better than before. so she deserve it!

Welcome, Fun Patinage! Thanks for joining us!

Custom Title
    Personally I prefer Mao's "heavy" music programs, but I can still enjoy her SP this season. Skaters should be not judged on the "appropriateness" between their age and program, but on whether the skater performed to the music and program. Part of figure skating is acting. Who would say a 42 year old Nicole Kidman shouldn't play a lady in her 20s in a movie, because it is not her actual age? On the contrary, if she acts well as a 20 year old, that's good acting.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hippomoomin View Post
    Skaters should be not judged on the "appropriateness" between their age and program, but on whether the skater performed to the music and program.
    ITA. It's refreshing to see a skater do something different that the standard elegant, refined ladies program. That footwork section at the end was amazing and earned many +3 GOEs from the judges.

One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    And Mao looks like she has fun! So why not skate a fun program once in a while? Maybe she lost a bit of her enjoyment the last 2 years with the heavier stuff, but she is shining so much right now, it seems so much fun. And she can always add difficulties, if she feels more confident.

Almost 68 points for Asada with no 3-3 and skating to a Junior program? This program would have been fine for her back in 2005 but not now.
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    ITA. It's refreshing to see a skater do something different that the standard elegant, refined ladies program. That footwork section at the end was amazing and earned many +3 GOEs from the judges.
    It's definitely a program that would suit-- say-- someone like Mirai more. However, Mirai does too much of these kinds of programs anyway; so I'd love to see her branch out.

It's certainly not my favorite short program from Mao, but I agree with drivingmissdaisy. It's really nice to see her doing something different seeing that she usually only does heavy/dramatic or refined/balletic programs. Her Scheherazade short program from last year had a whimsical and magical quality to it and I can see shades of that in this program. It's rare to see such smiles from Mao throughout the duration of her programs, and it's something I can definitely appreciate.

Her footwork sequence was quick, fun, and full of positive energy; I really really liked it! She looks like she's actually having fun out there; did you see the big, big smile on her face after she was done?

If not, well, here's a link :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQVsEJYhL_A

Videos of short programs

1. Mao Asada - One, Two
    2. Mirai Nagasu - One, Two
    3. Zijun Li - One
    4. Ksenia Makarova - One, Two
    5. Akiko Suzuki - One
    6. Elene Gedevanishvilli - One
    7. Agnes Zawadzki - One
    8. Sofia Biryukova - One
    9. Haruka Imai - One

PROTOCOLS: http://www.isuresults.com/results/gp..._SP_Scores.pdf

On the Ice
    If you compare the protocol from cup of china to NHK, the point difference came mostly from 3F<+2Lo(4.8) to 3F+2Lo(8.0), and PCS (31.06) to (32.25).
    There's really not much to be crying out for.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    I think Mao's program is bad not because it's "too Juniorish", but because the choreography is uninspired (the beginning of the program is particularly empty and without movement that truly characterizes music), the spins are poorly matched to the music (especially the Layback!), and Mao herself looks rather ungainly and unnatural in some of the positions/movements she has been asked to attempt. This is 3 seasons in a row that Mao has been given a lackluster/bad SP.

Down With It
    Commenting only on the Americans, as usual -brief thoughts

Great job by Nagasu, especially holding onto the 3-3 at the end! Also glad to see her going for it- she knows she needs it to be competitive in this field. She's in prime position for 2nd if she delivers, and perhaps even 1st if the stars line up.

Unfortunately, Zawadzki is most likely out of GPF contention now after that short. She needed a win here, I think, and obviously that will not happen now. (Actually, even if she nailed her SP, I'd be doubtful due to her history in the FS)

Custom Title
    I love Mao's big smile but not the SP. I love her program with Jeff Buttle, and the SP after that. She looked great in the fancy pants. I hope next year she try something similar to that and have great fun.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast