Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: 2012 NHK Ladies Short Program SP

Mao rocked it! (Well, she swung it.)

♪ I...got my girl, who could ask for anything more! ♫

Tripping on the Podium
    Mirai really lets its go in that performance....she's like a different person from last year. Great job. Good swing feeling.

Custom Title
    Is it just me or some fans put too much personal preference in juding a skater's program, as in the steak is too well cooked or not? To me Mao Asada really delivered a great program and skated very well. Whether the style is likeable or not is a matter of personal taste, some like more classical style while others, prefer more relaxed or fun programs. It really shouldn't matter. I am happy with the way Mao Asada is delivering her performance, her chosen style really doesn't matter. Now, it's a fair thing to say for example, X skater's interpretation isn't entirely suitable, for example, when some people expressed the Carmen played by Katelyn Osmond is not as mature as she could have been, and noted some of the arm movements or extensions that do not entirely reflect the level of maturity that goes with the music. That would be fair and not a subjective statement.

Let's see how the LP turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    1. Mao Asada - One, Two
    2. Mirai Nagasu - One, Two
    3. Zijun Li - One
    4. Ksenia Makarova - One, Two
    5. Akiko Suzuki - One
    6. Elene Gedevanishvilli - One
    7. Agnes Zawadzki - One
    8. Sofia Biryukova - One
    9. Haruka Imai - One

PROTOCOLS: http://www.isuresults.com/results/gp..._SP_Scores.pdf
    Thank you aftertherain! And thanks to everyone for pbps! I have to work all weekend long so I'll have to play catch up after the ladie's LP.

So very disappointed for Agnes-but thrilled for Mirai! I'm interested in seeing the protocols. Surely her score would've been a bit higher but for the saved 3/3 (AWESOME that she's going for 3/3's this season btw!). Mao's SP-not among my all-time favorite of hers but she is still always a delight to watch.

Dreaming of a win and GPF for Mirai but not too hopeful. I hope she just skates great and places. I also hope she has worked out those UR's and two-foot landings that plagued her at her first GP LP! GO MIRAI!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Well I am not sure she "landed" was the problem with Mirai (and hence off the podium) LOL. I do hope Mirai makes it clear is she a player or not but I guess like many skaters her career is like a roller coaster and the issue is will she peak when it counts. That's probably the story of a skaters life. Evan peaked at the right time. Skaters like Kwan, Browning, Stojko and Orser are all skaters who probably deserved OGM for one reason or another but never peaked or got the judges break at the right time. They have shown promise and consistency but they didn't do it at the olympics. Whereas skaters like Lipinski, Hughes, Arakawa, Evan and maybe even Baiul all peaked at the right time. I can see someone like Joubert, Javier, or one of the Japanese men peaking at the right time and getting a medal at a cost of maybe "career skaters" Takahashi or Chan. Life isn't fair and what's fair is in the eye of the beholder.
    Very well said. I couldn't figure out how such legends like Irina, Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, etc. could allow other skaters to have the olympic gold medals. I mean, Lipinski, Hughes, Arakawa were all amazing skaters but I would like to think that Irina Michelle, Sasha have more weight in the history of figure skating. But then what you said makes so much sense. They weren't able to show their best at the right moment. As you said, they didn't "peaked" at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky85 View Post
    Very well said. I couldn't figure out how such legends like Irina, Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, etc. could allow other skaters to have the olympic gold medals. I mean, Lipinski, Hughes, Arakawa were all amazing skaters but I would like to think that Irina Michelle, Sasha have more weight in the history of figure skating. But then what you said makes so much sense. They weren't able to show their best at the right moment. As you said, they didn't "peaked" at the right time.
    What do skaters do to try to peak at the right time? Or is it something beyond their control?

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Live Results web page
    Sorry

StN. Name Nation
    Warm-Up Group 1
    1 Sofia BIRYUKOVA RUS

2 Zijun LI CHN

3 Haruka IMAI JPN

4 Agnes ZAWADZKI USA

Warm-Up Group 2
    5 Ksenia MAKAROVA RUS

6 Mirai NAGASU USA

7 Elene GEDEVANISHVILI GEO

8 Mao ASADA JPN

9 Akiko SUZUKI JPN

doris, i cannot access this page...help please?
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 11-24-2012 at 07:23 PM.

ASADA: I really enjoyed her program today! But her 3F was clearly UR, you can see it in slow motion, so I expected a score similar to the China's one, but maybe the technical panel didn't want to disappoint the wonderful audience! Her step sequence in this program is, I think, the best I've ever seen from a girl after Kostner's 2010 SP!!
    NAGASU: I'm so happy that she's think kind of consistent this year, and that she landed a clean 3-3! She looked a lot more mature on the ice, and she had a lot of transitions, I wonder why her PCS is lower than Gedevanishvili and Makarova...
    LI: she's so lovely!!
    The others: sad for Suzuki's mistake, but Makarova is really showing her best this year, she could maybe make the Euros team if she keeps skating like she did today?

Custom Title
    LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT

1. Mao ASADA (JPN) - 67.95 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
    2. Mirai NAGASU (USA) - 61.18 Short Program, 2nd Copy
    3. Zijun LI (CHN) - 59.62 Short Program, 2nd Copy
    4. Ksenia MAKAROVA (RUS) - 58.93 Short Program, 2nd Copy
    5. Akiko SUZUKI (JPN) - 58.60 Short Program, 2nd Copy
    6. Elene GEDEVANISHVILI (GEO) - 57.50 Short Program
    7. Agnes ZAWADZKI (USA) - 55.02 Short Program
    8. Sofia BIRYUKOVA (RUS) - 49.31 Short Program
    9. Haruka IMAI (JPN) - 48.10 Short Program

Quote Originally Posted by rosacotton View Post
    What do skaters do to try to peak at the right time? Or is it something beyond their control?
    There's a training regimen for skaters to peak at the right point in the season, but other things can throw off the ability to put out the best possible program on that one night (physical, psychological, environmental...)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7