2012 NHK Pairs Short Program SP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2012 NHK Pairs Short Program SP

clairecloutier

Final Flight
It is way, way, way too late for Tran to make it to Sochi. It is extremely difficult to obtain Japanese citizenship. Tran is Southeast Asian (Vietnamese/Cambodian) and has no ancestral ties to Japan, and he lives and trains in Canada. Japan requires a minimum of 5 years residence in Japan in order even to apply for citizenship. Members of the liberal party in Japan says they will champion Tran's request for an exception, but Japan has never permitted exceptions even for highly qualified people who have lived and worked in Japan for decades, so it seems it's not going to happen for Tran.

If this is correct, I really wonder what the future holds for him & Narumi. It seems like their options would be:

1) Accept that their career would top out with, at best, world title(s) (no Olympics)
2) Switch to competing for Canada; Narumi gives up Japanese citizenship
3) End partnership

Z

znhurston

Super excited to see that Martiusheva and Rogonov got a second Grand Prix! I hope they are able to skate well so that they'll continue to get more international competitive experience. When they skate well, they are gorgeous and really interesting to watch. For me, they stand out a mile above the other skaters in their style and on-ice presence. They just need that confidence that comes from consistently executing their elements in competition.

I hope M/R skate well too!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Okay but why does it have to be an American team?

I'm not sure if so much that they're American so much that they won Cup of Nice, beating Stolbova/Klimov, who are GP bronze medalists. That probably caught some folks attention.

ETA: Ah sky_fly20 had the actual answer.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Pairs SP starts at 12 noon Japanese time, which is 4 am CET, 10 pm EST, and 7 pm PST

wallylutz

Medalist
It is way, way, way too late for Tran to make it to Sochi. It is extremely difficult to obtain Japanese citizenship. Tran is a Canadian citizen of Southeast Asian (Vietnamese/Cambodian) descent with no ancestral ties to Japan, and he lives and trains in Canada. Japan requires a minimum of 5 years residence in Japan in order even to apply for citizenship. Members of the liberal party in Japan say they will champion Tran's request for an exception, but Japan has never permitted exceptions even for highly qualified people who have lived and worked in Japan for decades, so it seems it's not going to happen for Tran.

Which means Japan is out of the running for the Olympic Team's event without a viable Pairs team. Given that USA doesn't have a viable pair or man right now, the Sochi Team's event is pretty much a showdown between Canada and Russia.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Which means Japan is out of the running for the Olympic Team's event without a viable Pairs team. Given that USA doesn't have a viable pair or man right now, the Sochi Team's event is pretty much a showdown between Canada and Russia.

Denney and Coughlin aren't exactly chopped liver..

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Respectable debut from Scimeca/Keierim. I like this pair.

ETA: 54.41. Quite good!

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Martiusheva/Rogonov got a 57.07. 7 points (almost) up on their SB. Nice improvement.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Nice debut. I thought technically they were better than the Russian.

Agreed, though the Russians definitely have the edge in the PCS mark, though I'm surprised they won on TES, esp. with the two clear errors (spins + sbs jump).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I did not see the first group. What mistakes did M/R have?

She had a step out on the SBS 3S and he was way out of sync on the SBS spin. Otherwise they have great polish, so I'm not surprised they're ahead of S/K, but by the margin.