Warm-Up Group 2
4 Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE ITA

5 Marissa CASTELLI / Simon SHNAPIR USA

6 Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Dylan MOSCOVITCH CAN

7 Vera BAZAROVA / Yuri LARIONOV RUS

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Looks like KMT and Dylan have a good chance at a silver medal. Can I hope that they could possibly beat B/L?

Elisheba

Rinkside
Start orders are up:

1 Alexa SCIMECA / Chris KNIERIM USA
2 Lindsay DAVIS / Mark LADWIG USA
3 Anastasia MARTIUSHEVA / Alexei ROGONOV RUS
Warm-Up Group 2
4 Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE ITA
5 Marissa CASTELLI / Simon SHNAPIR USA
6 Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Dylan MOSCOVITCH CAN
7 Vera BAZAROVA / Yuri LARIONOV RUS

samson

Medalist
All looking good. What do you guys think Castelli and Shnapir's chances at medaling are? Based on what I've seen so far in the grand prix I think they have a real shot. That would be really exciting.

missysays

On the Ice
Super excited to see that Martiusheva and Rogonov got a second Grand Prix! I hope they are able to skate well so that they'll continue to get more international competitive experience. When they skate well, they are gorgeous and really interesting to watch. For me, they stand out a mile above the other skaters in their style and on-ice presence. They just need that confidence that comes from consistently executing their elements in competition.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The door is really open; it is a very weak field The Americans could do very very well here. A medal or two is a possibility - they could also bomb too and be beaten by the Russians, Canadians and

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It will be very nerve wracking for the Americans, because that second slot at US Nationals (which is a ticket to Worlds) is wide open, with no clear favorite for it.

This is like a mini Nationals for them.

I hope they all hold it together and skate their very best.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
All looking good. What do you guys think Castelli and Shnapir's chances at medaling are? Based on what I've seen so far in the grand prix I think they have a real shot. That would be really exciting.

Agreed. The top two will likely be B/L and M-T/M. C/S, M/R and DM/G are the contenders for bronze.

Tesla

Final Flight
It will be very nerve wracking for the Americans, because that second slot at US Nationals (which is a ticket to Worlds) is wide open, with no clear favorite for it.

This is like a mini Nationals for them.

I hope they all hold it together and skate their very best.

Really? Based on international scores, I thought C/S were way ahead of the pack for the second spot.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Mervin Tran ‏@skate_moivo
Didn't sleep well last night, suppose to be at NHK now and my body is probably going through hysterical desynchronosis. Good luck to skaters
5:48 AM - 22 Nov 12 ·​

A shame that Takahashi/Tran are not able to compete. Hope her recovery is going well.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Really? Based on international scores, I thought C/S were way ahead of the pack for the second spot.

The original favs would have been Donlan/Speroff, based on US nationals. C&S won Graz with a score of 174.86, but I am not sure how much that will count, since all they beat there from the US was Donlan & Speroff, and Graz seems rather high scoring. They did score a personal best at SKAM 164.86, but only placed 5th there. Scimeca & Knierim have done well too, having won Cup of Nice as a brand new team with a score of 156.00, beating Stilbova & Klimov and Davankova & Deputat. They are another of the Sappenfield teams---and US judges love them some Sappenfield, for sure. C&S are a Boston based team.

So we shall see.

LRK

Record Breaker
Mervin Tran ‏@skate_moivo
Didn't sleep well last night, suppose to be at NHK now and my body is probably going through hysterical desynchronosis. Good luck to skaters
5:48 AM - 22 Nov 12 ·​

A shame that Takahashi/Tran are not able to compete. Hope her recovery is going well.

Any update on that?

I'm afraid there are no pairs here that I'm excited about - so hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised! :)

rvi5

On the Ice
Speaking of Mervin Tran, he is now 22 as of September 22. Since Japan does not permit dual citizenship, wouldn't he be expected to renounce his Canadian citizenship and apply for Japanese citizenship?

The way I see it, one of the following would need to happen:

-Tran renounces his Canadian citizenship, applies for Japanese citizenship if possible, and competes for Japan.
-Takahashi applies for Canadian citizenship, loses her Japanese citizenship, and competes for Canada.
-They remain as is, and are never able to compete at the Olympics.
-Japan changes it's rules, looks the other way, or makes an exception.

Any other possibilities?

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I was just wondering how did Scimeca and Knerim get chosen to compete? Seems so random with tonnes of teams out there why would skaters who I think are in their first year together with no pedigree - 7th and 10th at nationals get selected. Maybe I haven't kept up; because I don't think they would have a huge fan base or have shown that much promise compared to other Russian, American, Canadian or Chinese teams in particular. I am sure they are awesome people but just wondering it just seems so "odd"

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I was just wondering how did Scimeca and Knerim get chosen to compete? Seems so random with tonnes of teams out there why would skaters who I think are in their first year together with no pedigree - 7th and 10th at nationals get selected. Maybe I haven't kept up; because I don't think they would have a huge fan base or have shown that much promise compared to other Russian, American, Canadian or Chinese teams in particular. I am sure they are awesome people but just wondering it just seems so "odd"

I think all the pairs above them either 1.) have two events already 2.) broke up 3.) are not competing in the GP.

Consider the W/D they're replacing is another new team Yankowakas/ Reagan, it doesn't seem all that random.

Here's the Nationals list:

1. Denny/Coughlin - 2 events, 2 bronze
2. Marley/Brubaker - had 2 events, broke up.
3. Evora/Ladwig - Evora retired, Ladwig got two events with his new partner.
4. Donlan/Speroff - They only had one event.
5.) Castelli. Shnapir - the got two events
6.) Cain/Regan - Broke, then got two events w/ Yankowakas, only to W/K due to injury
7.) So Chris Knierm with his new partner seems like an logical choice.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Rooting for Marissa & Simon to make the podium!! This is a great opportunity for them; hope they can take advantage of it. A medal here would really help their momentum going into Nationals. Also looking forward to seeing Scimeca & Knierim for the first time.

The rest of the field--ehh. Bazarova & Larionov need a new coach, I think. Or a new choreographer, or dance instructor, or something. They are stagnating. They really have not improved at all since 2010. Something needs to change for them. As for MT-M/DM, I am not much of a fan. They are like the Canadian version of D/C. Solid athletically, but artistry is not really there, and I don't see much potential for improvement.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Speaking of Mervin Tran, he is now 22 as of September 22. Since Japan does not permit dual citizenship, wouldn't he be expected to renounce his Canadian citizenship and apply for Japanese citizenship?

The way I see it, one of the following would need to happen:

-Tran renounces his Canadian citizenship, applies for Japanese citizenship if possible, and competes for Japan.
-Takahashi applies for Canadian citizenship, loses her Japanese citizenship, and competes for Canada.
-They remain as is, and are never able to compete at the Olympics.
-Japan changes it's rules, looks the other way, or makes an exception.

Any other possibilities?

It is way, way, way too late for Tran to make it to Sochi. It is extremely difficult to obtain Japanese citizenship. Tran is a Canadian citizen of Southeast Asian (Vietnamese/Cambodian) descent with no ancestral ties to Japan, and he lives and trains in Canada. Japan requires a minimum of 5 years residence in Japan in order even to apply for citizenship. Members of the liberal party in Japan say they will champion Tran's request for an exception, but Japan has never permitted exceptions even for highly qualified people who have lived and worked in Japan for decades, so it seems it's not going to happen for Tran.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think all the pairs above them either 1.) have two events already 2.) broke up 3.) are not competing in the GP.

Consider the W/D they're replacing is another new team Yankowakas/ Reagan, it doesn't seem all that random.

Here's the Nationals list:

1. Denny/Coughlin - 2 events, 2 bronze
2. Marley/Brubaker - had 2 events, broke up.
3. Evora/Ladwig - Evora retired, Ladwig got two events with his new partner.
4. Donlan/Speroff - They only had one event.
5.) Castelli. Shnapir - the got two events
6.) Cain/Regan - Broke, then got two events w/ Yankowakas, only to W/K due to injury
7.) So Chris Knierm with his new partner seems like an logical choice.
Okay but why does it have to be an American team?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is way, way, way too late for Tran to make it to Sochi. It is extremely difficult to obtain Japanese citizenship. Tran is Southeast Asian (Vietnamese/Cambodian) and has no ancestral ties to Japan, and he lives and trains in Canada. Japan requires a minimum of 5 years residence in Japan in order even to apply for citizenship. Members of the liberal party in Japan says they will champion Tran's request for an exception, but Japan has never permitted exceptions even for highly qualified people who have lived and worked in Japan for decades, so it seems it's not going to happen for Tran.

Thanks for the explanation. It is just my opinion but I don't think it would be proper for Japan simply to break their own rules to try to win a medal - it just sounds so wrong. They should be consistent with their past precedents.