Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2012 NHK Pairs Short Program SP

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    I was just wondering how did Scimeca and Knerim get chosen to compete? Seems so random with tonnes of teams out there why would skaters who I think are in their first year together with no pedigree - 7th and 10th at nationals get selected. Maybe I haven't kept up; because I don't think they would have a huge fan base or have shown that much promise compared to other Russian, American, Canadian or Chinese teams in particular. I am sure they are awesome people but just wondering it just seems so "odd"
    I think all the pairs above them either 1.) have two events already 2.) broke up 3.) are not competing in the GP.

Consider the W/D they're replacing is another new team Yankowakas/ Reagan, it doesn't seem all that random.

Here's the Nationals list:

1. Denny/Coughlin - 2 events, 2 bronze
    2. Marley/Brubaker - had 2 events, broke up.
    3. Evora/Ladwig - Evora retired, Ladwig got two events with his new partner.
    4. Donlan/Speroff - They only had one event.
    5.) Castelli. Shnapir - the got two events
    6.) Cain/Regan - Broke, then got two events w/ Yankowakas, only to W/K due to injury
    7.) So Chris Knierm with his new partner seems like an logical choice.

Custom Title
    Rooting for Marissa & Simon to make the podium!! This is a great opportunity for them; hope they can take advantage of it. A medal here would really help their momentum going into Nationals. Also looking forward to seeing Scimeca & Knierim for the first time.

The rest of the field--ehh. Bazarova & Larionov need a new coach, I think. Or a new choreographer, or dance instructor, or something. They are stagnating. They really have not improved at all since 2010. Something needs to change for them. As for MT-M/DM, I am not much of a fan. They are like the Canadian version of D/C. Solid athletically, but artistry is not really there, and I don't see much potential for improvement.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by rvi5 View Post
    Speaking of Mervin Tran, he is now 22 as of September 22. Since Japan does not permit dual citizenship, wouldn't he be expected to renounce his Canadian citizenship and apply for Japanese citizenship?

The way I see it, one of the following would need to happen:

-Tran renounces his Canadian citizenship, applies for Japanese citizenship if possible, and competes for Japan.
    -Takahashi applies for Canadian citizenship, loses her Japanese citizenship, and competes for Canada.
    -They remain as is, and are never able to compete at the Olympics.
    -Japan changes it's rules, looks the other way, or makes an exception.

Any other possibilities?
    It is way, way, way too late for Tran to make it to Sochi. It is extremely difficult to obtain Japanese citizenship. Tran is a Canadian citizen of Southeast Asian (Vietnamese/Cambodian) descent with no ancestral ties to Japan, and he lives and trains in Canada. Japan requires a minimum of 5 years residence in Japan in order even to apply for citizenship. Members of the liberal party in Japan say they will champion Tran's request for an exception, but Japan has never permitted exceptions even for highly qualified people who have lived and worked in Japan for decades, so it seems it's not going to happen for Tran.
    Last edited by chuckm; 11-23-2012 at 05:06 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I think all the pairs above them either 1.) have two events already 2.) broke up 3.) are not competing in the GP.

Consider the W/D they're replacing is another new team Yankowakas/ Reagan, it doesn't seem all that random.

Here's the Nationals list:

1. Denny/Coughlin - 2 events, 2 bronze
    2. Marley/Brubaker - had 2 events, broke up.
    3. Evora/Ladwig - Evora retired, Ladwig got two events with his new partner.
    4. Donlan/Speroff - They only had one event.
    5.) Castelli. Shnapir - the got two events
    6.) Cain/Regan - Broke, then got two events w/ Yankowakas, only to W/K due to injury
    7.) So Chris Knierm with his new partner seems like an logical choice.
    Okay but why does it have to be an American team?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    It is way, way, way too late for Tran to make it to Sochi. It is extremely difficult to obtain Japanese citizenship. Tran is Southeast Asian (Vietnamese/Cambodian) and has no ancestral ties to Japan, and he lives and trains in Canada. Japan requires a minimum of 5 years residence in Japan in order even to apply for citizenship. Members of the liberal party in Japan says they will champion Tran's request for an exception, but Japan has never permitted exceptions even for highly qualified people who have lived and worked in Japan for decades, so it seems it's not going to happen for Tran.
    Thanks for the explanation. It is just my opinion but I don't think it would be proper for Japan simply to break their own rules to try to win a medal - it just sounds so wrong. They should be consistent with their past precedents.

Custom Title
    It is way, way, way too late for Tran to make it to Sochi. It is extremely difficult to obtain Japanese citizenship. Tran is Southeast Asian (Vietnamese/Cambodian) and has no ancestral ties to Japan, and he lives and trains in Canada. Japan requires a minimum of 5 years residence in Japan in order even to apply for citizenship. Members of the liberal party in Japan says they will champion Tran's request for an exception, but Japan has never permitted exceptions even for highly qualified people who have lived and worked in Japan for decades, so it seems it's not going to happen for Tran.
    If this is correct, I really wonder what the future holds for him & Narumi. It seems like their options would be:

1) Accept that their career would top out with, at best, world title(s) (no Olympics)
    2) Switch to competing for Canada; Narumi gives up Japanese citizenship
    3) End partnership

Banned
    because they were the only Pairs left on the alternate list that has met the minimum TES when they won at Cup of Nice

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by missysays View Post
    Super excited to see that Martiusheva and Rogonov got a second Grand Prix! I hope they are able to skate well so that they'll continue to get more international competitive experience. When they skate well, they are gorgeous and really interesting to watch. For me, they stand out a mile above the other skaters in their style and on-ice presence. They just need that confidence that comes from consistently executing their elements in competition.
    I hope M/R skate well too!

I'm not sure if so much that they're American so much that they won Cup of Nice, beating Stolbova/Klimov, who are GP bronze medalists. That probably caught some folks attention.

ETA: Ah sky_fly20 had the actual answer.

Custom Title
    okay that makes more sense. I forgot about the score minimum. Weird some real unknowns.

Anyone know when this is starting?

Custom Title
    The Pairs SP starts at 12 noon Japanese time, which is 4 am CET, 10 pm EST, and 7 pm PST

Ohh, long wait still. :(

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by znhurston View Post
    I hope M/R skate well too!
    Me three. She has a lovely look on the ice, and they have goregous lifts that really accentuate her flexibility.

Custom Title
    It is way, way, way too late for Tran to make it to Sochi. It is extremely difficult to obtain Japanese citizenship. Tran is a Canadian citizen of Southeast Asian (Vietnamese/Cambodian) descent with no ancestral ties to Japan, and he lives and trains in Canada. Japan requires a minimum of 5 years residence in Japan in order even to apply for citizenship. Members of the liberal party in Japan say they will champion Tran's request for an exception, but Japan has never permitted exceptions even for highly qualified people who have lived and worked in Japan for decades, so it seems it's not going to happen for Tran.
    Which means Japan is out of the running for the Olympic Team's event without a viable Pairs team. Given that USA doesn't have a viable pair or man right now, the Sochi Team's event is pretty much a showdown between Canada and Russia.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast