Lysacek has surgery for sports hernia | Golden Skate

Lysacek has surgery for sports hernia

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Lysacek undergoes successful surgery to repair sports hernia
(11/21/12)
http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48706&type=media

Excerpt:

"The sports hernia was diagnosed during a recent assessment of a groin injury Lysacek has sought treatment for since the summer.

Lysacek, 27, is expected to be off the ice for approximately six weeks."​

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
NOt sure what is different from a sports hernia really then any other hernia but doesn't that mean nationals is doubtful. He would be coming back like in early January at best - I guess 2 to 3 weeks practice might be okay for an OGM but to not to have competed for so long???? Re-retirement if you can call it that???

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Sorry to hear about Evan. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
He is a real competitior so I know he will do his best; whatever his decision I hope he doesn't risk further injury that would be a shame.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
That's all she wrote. Lysacek is not going to be at Nationals, count on it. But his first priority should be his long-term health and wellbeing. Hope things go well for him and his recovery is smooth. Looking longer term, I'm doubtful he'll be in any sort of potential mix for Sochi.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I swear he is an "accident waiting to happen"... but at least we know it's an injury and not an "injury". Best wishes on a speedy recovery to Evan!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I swear he is an "accident waiting to happen"... but at least we know it's an injury and not an "injury". Best wishes on a speedy recovery to Evan!
I think a lot of skaters have had comparable (if not worse) medical issues over the years; high-level skating is really demanding on the body, especially when the skaters have relatively long careers (e.g. Plushenko, Pang/Tong). That said, any medical problem that requires surgery is not fun and I wish Evan a speedy recovery and good health. I imagine trying to kick-start a competitive career after an extended hiatus doesn't make matters any easier; kudos to any skater who manages it.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I wish him all the best and I hope to see him competing again, I don't really care when...

emma

Record Breaker
Very sorry to hear about this, and I echo all the best wishes for speedy recovery!!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
he is aggrevating his injury though I never expected much that he will come back
Evans chances of a comeback are less than 10% for the Olympics

centerpt1

On the Ice
How realistic is it that he would be ready for Nationals? First Johnny and now Evan....sad.

Really terrible.

Actually all of our last Olympic Men's Team is injured.....although it seems Jeremy is back skating.

Evan seems to have had the worst of the injuries. I hope he takes time to heal. I had hoped he'd be back on the World team.

deedee1

Record Breaker
So sorry to hear about Evan's injury and its surgery...:no: Wishing him a complete recovery. I hope he gets the rest as needed, no way to rush everything.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Age is not kind to skaters who retire for a couple years then try to skate competitively again. Add the fact that neither Johnny or Evan have a quad at this stage of their career then maybe its time to retire.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
OK, I dont know much about this sport but how many slots do we have at worlds 2013? If we have two, Is there is any way Evan and JA can get the magic number 13 at worlds, and then we send three skaters to the Olympics?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
OK, I dont know much about this sport but how many slots do we have at worlds 2013? If we have two, Is there is any way Evan and JA can get the magic number 13 at worlds, and then we send three skaters to the Olympics?

We have two. Not sure to be honest if any combo of current men can get the third spot back.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
We have two. Not sure to be honest if any combo of current men can get the third spot back.
Actually, I am just a tad more optomistic. Not much but a tad. But my optomism is predicated on Evan being healthy enough to skate and JA having a desent skate.
a sixth seventh finish for the US team isnt out of the relm of possibility, even if Patrick Chan and the 3 Japanese men are all healthy and skating well.