What Would You Say To Your Favorite Skater (s)? | Golden Skate

What Would You Say To Your Favorite Skater (s)?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Hi Folks, as some of you know, I am going to see the Holiday Festival on Ice show in Langley, BC on Dec. 1st. I also just found out there is to be a "meet and greet" with the skaters after the show. My husband, encouraged me to purchase a ticket for that event. He is going to wait patiently for me after the show, while I " hob nob" with the cast. Anyway, since I know I will be overwhelmed and too shy to say much, I am open to suggestions. What would you say to Kurt, Elvis or Joannie if you were in the same room?

:points::biggrin:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Complimenting them always works... for Kurt - he lit up when we talked about how much his skating meant ove the years. Congratulating him on his placement at the competition earlier this fall might work too ;)

Macassar88

Medalist
Tell Kurt that you think it's amazing that he can do a double axel in hockey skates! He'll probably feel so happy!

How exciting! Tell us all about it afterward.

Those are great things to tell Kurt, I agree. You can also tell him that you represent many of his fans and that they all send their thanks and best wishes. All I can think of to say to Joannie is that I still get chills just thinking o her performance of "Samson and Delilah" from Canadian Nationals--and I think I only saw it on my computer screen! And let us know what Elvis is up to these days.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Hi Folks, as some of you know, I am going to see the Holiday Festival on Ice show in Langley, BC on Dec. 1st. I also just found out there is to be a "meet and greet" with the skaters after the show. My husband, encouraged me to purchase a ticket for that event. He is going to wait patiently for me after the show, while I " hob nob" with the cast. Anyway, since I know I will be overwhelmed and too shy to say much, I am open to suggestions. What would you say to Kurt, Elvis or Joannie if you were in the same room?
I would try to think of a specific (good) memory that you have of each skater and tell them how much you liked it/what it meant to you/why you think they're generally fantastic and specifically in that regard. That way you don't sound generic but don't get too personal.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Is this the first time you are meeting any skaters?

I remember my first time. It was 2009, before the Stars on Ice show here. I remember there was a specific thing I wanted to say to someone, but when the moment actually presented itself I think I was so caught up in the moment that I didn't say much if anything. It actually took 2-3 of these M&G opportunities to finally feel comfortable enough to say what I wanted to say to whomever. You know, just to get myself used to being in that type of situation. Now I really don't get nervous any more, although that "feeling" can still creep up from time to time.

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
please tell joannie that her sp in vancouver was amazing, and that her bronze medal performance was the one that touched millions. Please tell her her eyes light up the ice. Tell Elvis he was a great competitor who could jump while having great fast footwork. Skateluvr loves and misses them, please say. If you could get me Kurt's autograph, I'd die of happiness!

Kurt, is the best ever acc to Scott Hamilton. And We all agree! (I'll bet!)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
There isnt much new you can say to them that they havent heard so many times before, but I think it does mean something when fans dont fawn over them and just thank them for all those years of hard work in cold rinks they did, not only for themselves but so us fans could appreciate their great work. Me? I would tell Alissa to put down that cell phone and talk to ME when you sit next to me.....;)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:love: all the advice in this thread. We got to meet Kurt "up close & personal" for the 1st time @ Skate America in Atlantic City (2005). I always bring my international flags to wave for the competitors of the respective countries (I have flags for the US, Canada, Israel, GB, France, Czech Republic, and Japan). Kurt was doing commentary @ 2005 SA. During one of the zamboni breaks, I got as close as I could to the ABC broadcast booth, and whipped out my Canadian flag. He waved to me. Later that evening, we saw some flower sweepers in line. It turns out they were in line to see Kurt! I told my husband to stand by and try to see him. We did, and the first thing Kurt mentioned before we had a chance to talk was, "Oh, you're Canadian, aren't you?" I think I confided that I wasn't, but told him that we :love: many Canadian skaters too. He was extremely gracious, and we joked around with him. As a bonus, we also got to talk to Chris Mabee, who was with Kurt. A few years later, we got to see the pre-show warm-up for SOI. By that time, I had Kurt's A is For Axel book. He was the first one off the ice who came over to greet the fans, and he autographed my copy of the book!

The flag thing has worked a number of times. When I saw Jeff Buttle heading toward the exit after Mike Weiss' foundation show, I quickly took out my Canadian flag again, & I overheard him say, "Oo, Canadians!" I don't think I told him that we were Americans, but we did get to congratulate him on his winning the World title that year (he retired from eligible competition a few days after Mike's show!), and that I was literally jumping up & down in the house over his victory.

The first time we got to meet Todd "up close & personal" was @ a local appearance @ a rink in the Philly region (a promotional visit for Philly SOI - 3/02 - he had just joined the tour). We told him that we were in the audience when he skated to "Who Let the Dogs Out?" (Improv-Ice 12/00 in Philly, PA) and that he pulled it off really well. I also said, that I guess you were glad that you didn't get stuck with "Sex Bomb" (Mike Weiss got to do that in this show, a few months before Plushy did his version of it). In addition to that, I said, "I guess you would have loved to skate to the Bocelli number (that Brian Orser got to do that show), but that would be in your comfort zone, :laugh:!" Later in that M&G session, I caught up with him on the ice (my husband was on another part of the rink), and I told him, "Thank you for skating to so much music that I :love:. My CD collection thanks you too - it's grown by leaps & bounds!"

Now, for your specific situation - compliment Kurt, Elvis, and Joannie on their long careers, perseverance. Mention specific programs/performances that you treasure. If you speak some French, try speaking a little French with Joannie. I'll bet she'll appreciate the effort!

Needless to say, I treasure the opportunity to talk to the skaters, wish them well, and thank them for the joy they've brought so many people through their skating.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I would tell Adelina: "Get it together girl! You're the best one out there!" I'd also tell her to drop that god awful LP music.