Injuries & Ills: 2013-14 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Injuries & Ills: 2013-14

ice coverage

Record Breaker
What is going to happen at US nationals with Czisny coming back from injury; Flatt I guess out with her injury; Wagner a question mark as to the severity of her injury. And int he men the two former champs Evan and Johnny have their injuries to contend with; we have injuries or surgery in pairs. This could be very interesting or nasty or both.

Wagner is performing in a show tonight, so hopefully by Nationals she will be at the top of her game.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Brian Joubert is luck he skates for France; in some other countries his hopes of a trip to world's would be dashed especially since he is no longer the dominant skter he once was and has been beaten by Amodio several times.

LRK

Record Breaker
I wish Ashley well and hope it is not about the money versus proper healing.

Well, in a show she doesn't have to do even close to the level of difficulty she must achieve in competition; she can in fact do as much or as little as she sees fit - or is fit to do.

Kalina

On the Ice
International Figure Skating posted this on their facebook page:

I heard that Kaitlyn Weaver suffered a broken ankle in a training session this evening. If so, not good news.

LRK

Record Breaker
Thanks, Kalina!

Here's the thread about Kaitlyn Weaver's injury:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...has-broken-her-ankle-IFS-and-PJ-both-reported

I can't help but shake my head at the amount of injuries this year... Yes, maybe starting this thread has made me see them more, but on the other hand, one of the reasons I did start it, was that there were so many injuries, I couldn't keep track of them all! Honestly... (just shakes head, speechless)

Mattieu

Medalist
Thanks, Kalina!

I can't help but shake my head at the amount of injuries this year... Yes, maybe starting this thread has made me see them more, but on the other hand, one of the reasons I did start it, was that there were so many injuries, I couldn't keep track of them all! Honestly... (just shakes head, speechless)

I think that the continuous increasing of the difficulty required to get level 4 elements is partly responsible for the increase in injuries.
Each season the skaters have to add more and more tricks, especially in pairs and dance.
In dance, the girls are starting to need to have the same weight and size as pairs skaters to enable the boy to throw them around into various positions like rag dolls! It's becoming way too acrobatic for my liking......

LRK

Record Breaker
As has been noted in the Russian skaters-thread, Julia Lipnitskaia is out of Russian Nationals -

http://fskating.com/2012/12/lipnitskaia-to-miss-national-championships.html

"Lipnitskaia qualified for the Grand Prix Final in Sochi but withdrew due to injury: during training, she lost balance on the entry to a spin, split her chin and sustained a slight concussion. Doctors advised that she not compete and to stay off the ice for at least two weeks. However, according to the latest news, she needs more time for the complete recovery."

LRK

Record Breaker
And from this article:

http://www.goldenskate.com/2012/12/plushenko-exceeds-his-expectations-at-russian-nationals/

About Plushenko:

" "“I have only resumed doing quads here in Sochi,” he explained. “A month ago, I underwent a surgery and it resulted in a major drop in my physical conditioning. So it was only here, basically yesterday and today, that I managed to land a first couple of quads. I am especially happy that I did it, even though I failed to land a clean one during the warm up.” "

Also:

"The student of Alexei Mishin credits intense training early in the season for his recent bout of health issues.

“I have attempted too many jumps early in this season,” Plushenko stated. “I started to land quad Salchows, begun working on the quad Lutz… I am not young any longer.”

“Truth to be told, I have already forgotten when I competed healthy,” he lamented. “Fortunately, I know pretty well how to skate while injured, through pain. I have year of experience in tolerating it.” "

ETA - And from this article:

http://www.goldenskate.com/2012/12/plushenko-wins-tenth-title-at-russian-nationals/

“I am very happy with my performance, but I had to fight for it,” admitted the 2006 Olympic Champion. “Yesterday, I said that the long program would be much harder and the prediction turned out to be true. My back ached and I had to skate through this pain.”

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
More Plushenko details from this article:

http://www.goldenskate.com/2012/12/evgeni-plushenko-a-dark-horse-for-2014-olympics/

“It almost feels like going home,” joked Plushenko, who at the age of 30, and days before becoming a father for the second time, combines a Zen-like detachment with a sense of invincibility that would make any teenager proud.

“It was a thermal treatment of a disk hernia,” he explained about the surgery. “They make a cut, enter a catheter, and can follow the process on a monitor. Surgeons sear the hernia with a special liquid under general anesthesia. You are not allowed do anything for ten days. I was back on the ice in seven.”

“After the surgery, the doctors told me to stay off ice for a month,” he added. “However, it was not for me. As usual, I had to jump the gun. I felt that need to run fast in order to defend my position. I had the National Championships coming up, so, not only did I start to train too early, but I started to train too intensely.”

As a result, complications arose which required another medical intervention, this time closer to home.

“I got an injection, a block, in St. Petersburg at a presidential clinic,” he said.

Unsurprisingly, his physical condition plummeted.

“I am a grown up man, but I cried in practices because I was not able to do anything,” revealed the three-time World champion. “I was not able to land a triple loop, triple Salchow, or triple Lutz. I had to start from the scratch. All the progress I had achieved this summer … it was gone. I felt like giving up.”

------------------
The next stop for the ten-time National Champion is another visit to a doctor’s office.

“This was the most important National title in my career,” he said. “The circumstances were very difficult. I wanted to withdraw. Or, more accurately, to withdraw would have been a right thing to do at the time. So, now I will take a short break and I will have another injection in St. Petersburg and let the doctors work their magic on me.”

“Then I will prepare for the Europeans,” he continued. “The rivals will be strong, so I have to bring back two quads and a quad-triple combination. I think my muscles are up to the task, but everything depends on my back now.” "

There is more in the article, of course - I tried to keep this to what is most health-related.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Gachinski gave an interview in Russian to a site called "All Sport", where he tried to explain what is going wrong with him:

“I strongly numb legs and appear very uncomfortable. It started last year, but then it was not so pronounced. Doctors say flat - CLOTHING insole. Influence rather than that, and a strange lack of preparation before each rental. The disease, the common cold, then something else.

Need to understand yourself, and then go to the gym. Confidence seems to come, I’m all figured out, but on the ice until it fails to reflect “

All Sport: "Gachinski: Confidence seems to come, but on the ice it can not reflect"

Mishin also provided an interesting comment after Nationals:

"Arthur this year because of some very personal circumstances is not entirely stable.

All Sport: "Alexei Mishin: We will prove to Gachinski his Olympic destiny"

Putting the pieces together, it seems there are three problems:

1) This problem with numbness in his legs
2) A weakened immune system
3) The "very personal" circumstances

Poor guy.

LRK

Record Breaker
Thank you so much, karne! Indeed, one couldn't help but wonder what was the matter... Poor guy, indeed.

Butterscotch17

On the Ice
Denis Ten posted this on his facebook this morning:

"The season started roughly on me and recovering period took longer than doctors and I were expecting. 3,5 weeks with no skating made me realize how strong my dedication to sport is and how much I love what I do!

Fortunately, I'm back on ice now, I started training and last month has been very productive. I did a wonderful show in Germany and held the seminar for young skaters in Kazakhstan which went very very well!

I look forward to start competing soon and my first event may be in just one week."

LRK

Record Breaker
Thanks Butterscotch17! It sounds as if his injury has made him even more keen to come back and show what he can do - it's nice to see that he's turning it into something positive, refuelling his fire. (What little I've seen, he overall seems like quite a positive guy.)

Some other threads relevant to this one

about Kiira Korpi's recent injury:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...ws-from-European-Figure-Skating-Championships

and on a more positive note, Alissa Czisny's recovery, and in the linked article she also discusses her injury:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?39545-Renewed-Czisny-ready-to-return-to-ice-in-Omaha

This is a young person's game. It seems like it is just not possible to subject your body to that kind of punishment for a decade.

Maybe they should change the rules to put less of a premium on jumps and elevate other aspects of skating instead. You could think of it in the same way as requiring hockey players to wear helmets -- less macho, more common sense.