Injuries & Ills: 2013-14 | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Injuries & Ills: 2013-14

Sara

On the Ice
There was an article about Kiira Korpi in a Finnish newspaper a few days ago. She isn't going to return to LA to train with Arutunian in December as originally planned. Her rehab has gone pretty well but she isn't doing any jumps yet. She has been practicing together with the national team and also a Finnish ice dance group a few times a week. Kiira is still having some pain in her foot, experiencing some "electric shock" kind of pain, but according to her doctor it is only a good thing and shows that she is recovering. Kiira is planning to return to LA in the beginning of next year. To me it sounds like she won't have enough time to be ready for Worlds. She was hoping to compete there.

supsu

On the Ice
Oh no.. :(

In which paper was this? I haven't heard anything and usually her news are told also in tabloids and nothing there..

Sara

On the Ice
Has anyone heard any news about Anna Cappellini? There are no practice reports from Fukuoka (at least I couldn't find any in English), but I heard from a few sources that Anna fell pretty badly during the practice session and hurt her head. :(

Bea

On the Ice
Has anyone heard any news about Anna Cappellini? There are no practice reports from Fukuoka (at least I couldn't find any in English), but I heard from a few sources that Anna fell pretty badly during the practice session and hurt her head. :(

This is what she posted on their Facebook page this morning (European time):
"Nothing wakes you up like a good scary fall in practice! All patched up now, resting cozy in my room and getting ready for tomorrow!!!!
Many thanks to the Japanese Medica Staff, also at the hospital :))))"

It seems that they are planning to skate. I really hope that they will be able to do so and achieve good results! :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
does anyone know if Korpi is not going to the Olympics? Are Kavaguti and Smirnov finished for sure? will they retire. While not really an injury what about Reynolds? He has not skated at all and was or is no. 5 in the world? Any news about Osmond or is she too finished for this year? I know she competed this weekend at the Skate Canaada Challenge and won with a huge freeskate which would nonly win in Canada. But she can't do some jumps still and had to water down the program and looking at the pcs was tenatitive. Any news, on Joubert though I am not sure if he is injured or what. Hegellson is she coming back or will she let her sister go to the Olympics. Dai is he doing okay? We all were left floored with the most shocking news that Evan is not skating at the uS nationals. I am sure people are just in absolute utter shock, stunned, blindsided. who could have seen this (as mean as it sounds). But really there is something kind of annoying that you feel misled; given false hope so and so is skating when realistically it probably wasn't happening. I am sad his dream is over but really as odd as it sounds he got the best of both world - looks like he gave it his all and he doens't look like a fool about getting beaten by so many skaters.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
does anyone know if Korpi is not going to the Olympics?

Korpi is not competing in Sochi. Finland did not qualify for a spot in the ladies' competition at the Olympics.
Korpi could not compete in Sochi even if she had a miraculous recovery overnight.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I forgot about that - qualification issue since she didn't skate at world's last year and finland couldn't do it when it counted at Nelborn. Sad. I wonder if she will retire after this year?

MalloryArcher

On the Ice
I forgot about that - qualification issue since she didn't skate at world's last year and finland couldn't do it when it counted at Nelborn. Sad. I wonder if she will retire after this year?

She probably won't go to Europeans but if she is considering retirement it would be nice if she could finish off with a farewell competition like Worlds 2014. BTW she (Kiira) was on Finnish tv during the GPF talking about her friendship with Ashley Wagner and Adam Rippon as well as figure skating costumes and the rise of Russian skaters :)

npavel

On the Ice
Are Kavaguti and Smirnov finished for sure? will they retire.
I have read somewhere they are practising and doing fine. They hope to get ready soon, but aren't sure they will be there in time for Sochi

Any news, on Joubert though I am not sure if he is injured or what.
He competed last week end at NRW Trophy and become second after Majorov
http://www.lev-nrw.org/docs/event/1271/CAT022RS.HTM

Hegellson is she coming back or will she let her sister go to the Olympics.
She competed last week-end too and become second after Roberta Rodeghiero at Denkova Staviski Cup
http://clubdenkovastaviski.com/DSCup_2013_ISU/CAT008RS.HTM

No info about others than Carolina Kostner not doing nationals
https://www.facebook.com/carolinakostner/posts/10153575799075024
RESS RELEASE (Rome, December 12/2013): Carolina will not take part in the Italian National Championships scheduled to take place in Merano from December 19-21. The Italian Champion from the "Fiamme Azzurre" is fighting with recurring physical problems after her Grand Prix assignments this fall which keep her from skating at this competition, even though the event was included in her season schedule. In consultation with the officials of the "Fiamme Azzure", Carolina has decided to withdraw from the competition in Merano while expressing her regrets on not being able to compete at such an important event organized in her home region: a decision that is certainly linked to the preparations for the Olympic Games in Sochi 2014. In spite of her physical condition, Carolina will be attending - alongside with other atheltes from the Fiamme Azzure - an event organized by the CONI on December 18 in Rome, introducing the Italian Oympic team. During her stay in Rome, Carolina intends to undergo the necessary examinations to assert her current physical state.

Anna K.

Final Flight
Country
Latvia

That's shocking. I mean, not just the trouble she has but the fact that bodies of all top class figure skaters are like this or will be like this. One thing is to hear remotely about skaters who suffer from back pain or have screws in their spine but to read the actual analysis of what the profession does to the body is shocking. It feels like FS should be kicked out of OG program not because of scandals or something but simply because it cripples people. Makes me wish to retire from discussing figure skating just like the author of this translation did.